Graham Hill - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 27-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
Graham Hill

Anyone see the documentary on bbc4 last night?
A true english gent and a brilliant driver and engineer,and also father to a formula 1 world champion! I wasnt aware he had achieved so much.(2 f 1 titles,5 monaco grand prix wins and he won the indy 500)I think you could say he had a full life!
if its repeated its well worth a watch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 166

Re: Graham Hill

Yeah agreed, he was a top bloke! He won Le Mans too!
AO Silver Member

I missed it, but will watch tomorrow on BBCi player.
AlfaLincs

After his crash in the Lotus 49 at Monjuich park they said he'd never walk again. He put himself through hell and was back in a F1 car the very next season. He was never quite the same again, but then you wouldn't be would you.

Its a shame his memory was clouded by the fact that when he crashed his aircraft he was uninsured. The Hill F1 team couldn't afford it. It meant his widow Betty was sued by the families of all those who died with him and left with very little.

I saw Graham Hill when he was a BRM driver at Aintree in the early 60s, and I was at the British GP in 75 when he drove round the track in the Hill F1 after announcing his retirement from the track, and we all waved and cheered like mad. It was only a few short months before he died and I'l never forget it as it was the same weekend I did my parachute training course. I just couldn't believe it at the time hearing it on the rather crackly radio on the sunday morning

He was fast and brave though it can't have been easy with the superb Jim Clark as team mate, then Jochen Rindt.

If you have never seen the film of those Lotus 49s leaving the ground as they went over the humps at Montjuich, then its hard to appreciate the sheer bravery of driving those cars at all. Both Rindt and Hill suffered wing failure and crashed heavily, but on that occasion Rindt was the luckier. As we know his luck ran out at Monza the very next year.

AlfaLincs

AO Member

Member car:

Spider S4

Missed it! As a schoolboy I helped out with a racing team (Palliser Racing). Once at Crystal Palace I was hoisted on Bette Hill and a very young Damon. Ended up sitting on the grass at the pit lane entrance sharing sandwiches with them. Along comes Graham....it turns out it was his lunch that I ate! He took it in good humour and even went and got me a coke! The nice thing was when I was at Brands later that year he stopped in the pitlane and shouted over to me..." You owe me lunch!".
Great days.
I saw Bette Hill at a BRDC lunch during the GP at Silverstone about 6 years ago, was tempted to ask if she recalled our meeting. Never got the chance.
Re the aircrash. My understanding is that Graham was not actually rated for night flying.
AO Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
As a schoolboy I helped out with a racing team (Palliser Racing). Once at Crystal Palace I was hoisted on Bette Hill and a very young Damon. Ended up sitting on the grass at the pit lane entrance sharing sandwiches with them. Along comes Graham....it turns out it was his lunch that I ate! He took it in good humour and even went and got me a coke! The nice thing was when I was at Brands later that year he stopped in the pitlane and shouted over to me..." You owe me lunch!".
Great days.
What a fantastic memory for you Renone.
That eclipses mine of the great man waving at me, a short-trousered schoolboy, as he roared up Maxim rise at Crystal Palace during practice. In those days the top men would drive in all the formulae and all the greats could be seen at the only motor racing ciruit in London. Jochen Rindt, Jim Clark, Mike Hailwood - they all raced there.
Great days.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Giulietta Sprint

That was a repeat. I saw this about 2 weeks ago and thought it was great to have such an insight into his life. Clearly lived a breathed racing as he was still driving and running a team with a very uncompetative car. They don't make 'em like they used to and i think it showed how boring modern day F1 is.

AO Member

Member car:

Spider S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slipperman View Post
"They don't make 'em like they used to and i think it showed how boring modern day F1 is."

Could not agree with you more!
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Great bloke, sadly missed!: Used to see him sometimes, when he zoomed oner the 'Battle Axes' Restaurant and pub, in his 'Chopter'.: Anyone who know's the venue, eating, drinking place, will know the association I refer to??:
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Brilliant documentary, well worth seeing.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by renone View Post
As a schoolboy I helped out with a racing team (Palliser Racing). Once at Crystal Palace I was hoisted on Bette Hill and a very young Damon. Ended up sitting on the grass at the pit lane entrance sharing sandwiches with them. Along comes Graham....it turns out it was his lunch that I ate! He took it in good humour and even went and got me a coke! The nice thing was when I was at Brands later that year he stopped in the pitlane and shouted over to me..." You owe me lunch!".
Great days.

AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire

Yes he had character and great bravery, the drivers in the 60s and 70s were super stars but had both feet firmly planted on the ground and werent pretentious prats, like many are now. sadly missed.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
graham , hill

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page