IRL & Champ Cars unite - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 25-02-08 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
IRL & Champ Cars unite

Good news, hopefully open-wheel racing in the US will go up a notch

BREAKING: IRL and Champ Car unification agreement signed - Autoblog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Re: IRL & Champ Cars unite

Hopefully some one will show it in the UK on a free to air channel. Its what BBC3 was made for.
alfafamily

About time too. I always loved watching the champ car series when it was on Eurosport in the '90s but it was all killed stone dead when the IRL was formed and the talent was split between the two formulae. Even the Indy 500 wasn't the same. I'm looking forward to seeing it back on top of American racing.

HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafamily View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing it back on top of American racing.
Not a chance, open wheelers have just fallen too far behind NASCAR in fanbase and media coverage. And in entertainment levels as well if I'm being honest, and as a result, the top drivers stateside (and more and more quality European drivers too) all make a bee line for NASCAR.

AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire

gotta say we went to vegas last year for the champ car 'grand prix' on a street circuit and they put on a really good show.One ticket price and access to all the grand stands.great racing,with beleive it or not,overtaking! Also plenty of brits in with a fighting chance of victory.

Been watching it ever since on eurosport who've got it again this year.I think they do 2 or 3 european races so its well worth a journey to watch it.

cant understand the attraction of nascar,round and round ,wheres the skill in flat out constantly?

i think the merger could be a good thing,maybe a bit of competiton to bernies F1 circus?.......
alfafamily

Sorry,don't agree HST, the top drivers only went to Nascar because of the problems the split caused. Nascar is a pure USA series with little interest to the rest of the world. I still think that after a couple of seasons the situation will reverse again and champ cars(or whatever the name will be) will the top formula again stateside.
A couple of European ex F1 drivers would re light the interest over here. Schumacher or Hakkinnen in the Indy 500, what Cart/IRL fan wouldn't want to watch that. Sorry,I'm dreaming now.
Didn't know it was on Eurosport again thanks for the heads up on that Fred zx

HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzedex View Post
cant understand the attraction of nascar,round and round ,wheres the skill in flat out constantly?

Only Talladega and Daytona are 'flat out' circuits, due to the restrictor plates placed upon the cars, and that's for very good safety reasons, without them you'd be looking at large cars which move and bounce around like no single seater driver could ever understand whilst reaching 220mph. The restrictors keep the cars from becoming undriveable on the superspeedways

(and methinks you massively underestimate the skill involved in 190mph pack racing, ask Juan Pablo Montoya if he thinks it's easy)

Every other circuit (including the road courses) has an individual technique to get around quick, and each speedway is totally different to the next. In fact a speedway changes from one lap to the next as conditions change both on circuit and upon the car itself.

And 'round and round' is a simplification peddled by those who don't understand, or dont want to understand the nuances of oval racing.

And the attraction is in the entertainment that the NASCAR spectacle provides. Whether you love or hate it, they put on a great show with action all the way.

alfafamily

I sort of understand where fred is coming from, I find Nascar on TV less than enthralling, yet champ/IRL cars seem to come across better for some reason. I have been to Nascar at the Milwaukee mile though, to say it was awesome is an understatement. Standing at the fence with cars touching 200mph 20 feet away is the best thing I've seen in motorsport. The noise at the start as they accelerate en masse from the green is ...well you can guess!

AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzedex View Post

I started watching Nascar a few years ago (2003 IIRC), curiosity rather than anything as I used to wonder what could be difficult or interesting about piloting a big saloon round and round in circles.

It's much more complex than that though - differences in the tracks, differences in the car handling as rubber builds up on the track/ tyres wear/ the air temperature cools/ warms. Massively noticeable differences!

The racing is extremely close, unpredictable and exciting. I'll wager very few people would have correctly guessed the Daytona 500 result the weekend before last - even if they guessed 2 laps from the end!

Try watching it a bit, you might just like it. THere's a 50 minute highlight program on channel 5 usually the middle of the night, so you can have a short intro without sitting and watching a 3 hour race!

Pretty much Nascar is my favourite motosport, with the Aussie V8's and BTCC not far behind.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Good news, hopefully open-wheel racing in the US will go up a notch

BREAKING: IRL and Champ Car unification agreement signed - Autoblog

Nope. Not good news at all. The merger means the race in Toronto has been cancelled. I'm not sure about the other Canadian races yet.

To the locals that means no more nicely paved and smooth Lakeshore Blvd. It was about the only road in the entire city that you could expect to be free of major potholes, since it needs to be in relatively good shape for the race.

It also means no more flying (well not really flying, officer ) down the straightaway past the grandstands and under the skywalk advertising, all while playing race car driver.

On the economic side, it does represent a significant loss to the city, even though the race itself had been on slightly wobbly financial ground the last couple of years.

It will also give all the whiners who live downtown the moral highground about never allowing another race on the city streets. They will argue it is so much better without it -- so much quieter and so much less pollution.
--Toronto
alfafamily

Thats sad TS, what's the reason given for cancelling the race there?

AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

I guess it's just politics (with a tiny bit of economics thrown in).

If you merge two series, that means there is going to be an excess number of races and some of them will have to go.

It's easy for Americans to cancel Canadian events, because, hey we really don't matter.

It would be harder to cancel a really successful race, but the has been a drop in attendance over the past couple of years, due in part to having troubles finding a single sponsor with deep enough pockets for proper advertising.

I also think that the marketing people took the wrong approach with the festivities around the race. They made it less about the cars and the race and more about other unrelated stuff.

The city planning department didn't help either. It has been allowing three or four major festivals to take place on the same weekend as the race over the past few years, which is a completely stupid move. (I should explain that when we have events going on in the summer months, they tend to be held -- to a large degree -- outside. The city closes off streets, people set up tents, etc. It makes getting around the city miserable. If that isn't bad enough one of the events that the city has allowed on Indy weekend has been a marathon or charity run through the downtown streets, which means even more roads are closed off and access to the Indy venue is made even more impossible, especially for tourists coming in from out of town. As I said, completely idiotic.)
--Toronto

Last edited by Toronto Spider; 26-02-08 at 16:44.
(Post Link) post #13 of 14 Old 26-02-08 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Shame on losing the race TS
(Post Link) post #14 of 14 Old 29-02-08 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

First casualty of the IRL-Champ Car merger: Linky

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
cars , champ , irl , unite

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page