Alfa 156's in 2008 BTCC? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Motor Sport F1, Rally, Tourers, whatever...

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 01-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Alfa 156's in 2008 BTCC?

I see in this weeks Autosport that Eoin Murrays Alfa Romeo 156 S2000Touring car is for sale (£50k, any takers!) so it may be lost to BTCC. I understand that Richard Marsh of A-Tech racing is moving from BTCC to GT's which leaves David Pinkney. According to a Motoring News piece early last month Pinkney has yet to commit to BTCC in 2008 and will not do so unless he can get the 156 to work on the regulation Dunlop tyres. Lets hope he succeeds as it would be a pity if there was no Alfa's to follow in either BTCC or the WTCC in 08.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Re: Alfa 156's in 2008 BTCC?

Indeed it will
(Post Link) post #3 of 22 Old 16-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Still no confirmation in the Motorsport press that there will be an Alfa Romeo 156 S2000 in thie 2008 BTCC, has anyone on the forum heard anything regarding David Pinkney's or any other potential Alfa drivers plans for this years BTCC? If there is no Red car on the BTCC grid in 2008 it will be a sad state of affairs for the Alfa brand in the UK
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4JTD

But sure they haven't had a works team out since the mid 90s, so they obviously aren't that concerned......they should be, since Vauxhall started their Ferrari-type form in the BTCC there sales have shot up quite a bit too!! 3 out of the top 10 selling cars in the UK were Vauxhalls in 2007....coincidence, it certainly helped the vectra overtake the mondeo in regards to sales IMO......Maybe Fiat should consider it, it's about £2,000,000 to run a works team of 2 cars for a season, a very small amount to a car manufacturer these days!! or do what Honda do and support an indy team, a fraction of the cost but similar promotional oportunities! The 159 would be a perfect base car, considering the Vectra won last year against smaller hatchbacks!!

No car at the mo Sold to go travelling......
(Post Link) post #5 of 22 Old 23-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Agree fully, a factory supported effort with the Alfa 159 would help the public profile and image of that model hugely, hopefully David Pinkney will make it out with his 156 which will leave Eoin Murrray and Richard Marsh 156's idle over the BTCC season shame.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4JTD

How good would it be to see 2 blood red alfas going bumper to bumper with the vectras, civics, leons and bmws around donnington or brands!!!!!!
(Post Link) post #7 of 22 Old 13-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

A-Tech who ran two Alfa Romeo 156 in the 2007 BTCC for David Pinkney and Richard Marsh have sold both cars to a new BTCC team called Team 48. This Team is owned by wait for it....... Luther Blissett, John Barnes and Les Ferdinand. The Drivers seem relatively inexperienced, Darrelle Wilson (ex VW Cup) and Matthew Gore, the later will be the first Jamaican driver to race in BTCC. The new Team aims to promote Caribbean drivers in top level Motorsport Dont think we'll see Alfa's near the top 10 but at least there will be Alfa's on the grid for the 2008 BTCC.
(Post Link) post #8 of 22 Old 13-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

A-Tech who ran two Alfa Romeo 156 in the 2007 BTCC for David Pinkney and Richard Marsh have sold both cars to a new BTCC team called Team 48. This Team is owned by wait for it....... Luther Blissett, John Barnes and Les Ferdinand. The Drivers seem relatively inexperienced, Darrelle Wilson (ex VW Cup) and Matthew Gore, the later will be the first Jamaican driver to race in BTCC. The new Team aims to promote Caribbean drivers in top level Motorsport Dont think we'll see Alfa's near the top 10 but at least there will be Alfa's on the grid for the 2008 BTCC.
(Post Link) post #9 of 22 Old 13-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

I have just seen the Team 48 156's on the Touring Car Times site. IMO they look superb in a bright green colour scheme with two yellow strips coming up from the Alfa shield. They may not be out for 1st round in Brands, hopefully a least one car will make the grid for the
30th.
Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

spider

I personally would love to know why Green?? it looks, well, bland, just mt opinion, also no famous alfa cloverleaf badge anywhere on car?? surly a mistake, nthey have made an Alfa look as drab as possible, why oh why, in racing alfa should be RED!!!

Again just my humble opinion guys.

team48_2
HSTDriver

It's true, that is a pretty manky green. Dunno if they're better in the flesh, i'd like to think so.

alfa_147_jtd_16v

As a matter of interest guys, is anyone going to Brands for the opening round? I know I am...I already ordered my ticket, but it would be nice to drive in convoy and park on the South Bank just like the gys on here did with the WTCC last year!

(Post Link) post #13 of 22 Old 17-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

The wing mirrors are Alfa Red!!! The green and yellow reflects the Jamican orgins of Team 48.
Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicI55 View Post
The wing mirrors are Alfa Red!!! The green and yellow reflects the Jamican orgins of Team 48.
Really??? like 'cool runnings'? (great film)
(Post Link) post #15 of 22 Old 16-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Team 48 with their two Alfa Romeo 156's will be out in the Donnington rounds of the BTCC on May 3rd/4th. At last some Alfa involvement. albeit a private team, in top level motorsport.
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Since the factory ceased competing in the BTCC I (for one) think the Alfa appearances since then have been woeful, and done more to damage the image that enhance it. This is not to denegrate the efforts of those involved, who I'm sure give it as much as they can, but the rewards of competing in such a money-oriented series depend entirely upon the resources available to a team. Without them, you are at best racing in the second division......and we all know Alfa is a premier league player.
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

2.0TS 156 SW

I spend a bit of time on the BTCC forum and the impression I get is that there is still a lot of goodwill towards the Alfas on there.
Most people realise the teams running the cars are on minor budgets but I still get the impression most people are really looking forward to Team48 getting the Alfas on to the grid at Donny.
You shouldn't underestimate the goodwill the alfas generate.
Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

spider

Both drivers are Jamican as well.

Oh and team owners are John Barnes and Luther Blissett...ex footballers if you didn't already know..
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156

what happened to the team? its over halfway through the season and they havent made their appearance
AO Member

Member car:

2.0TS 156 SW

They have not managed to raise the funding and will not be competing. They didn't even buy the two Alfas and they are still owned by Dave Pinkney who raced them last year.
In fact I have heard they are up for sale in Autosport this week(not checked myself)...as well as rumours that there is a buyer in the wings.

Even more rumours they may be back at Oulton Park...though I wouldn't hold your breath. In my own opinion, I think there is a chance someone may race them next year but I don't see it happening before then...though I hope I'm wrong.
(Post Link) post #21 of 22 Old 25-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Any updates on the 2 Alfa 156 Touring Cars owned by Dave Pinkney? they were displayed at the Autosport Show in January of this year, and advertise in Autosport for sale, have they been sold and will they be seen in BTCC again?
AO Member

Member car:

2.0TS 156 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicI55 View Post
Any updates on the 2 Alfa 156 Touring Cars owned by Dave Pinkney? they were displayed at the Autosport Show in January of this year, and advertise in Autosport for sale, have they been sold and will they be seen in BTCC again?
I believe one of the Alfas has been sold to a foreign buyer (outside of BTCC)
I am not sure about the other one, but it seems unlikely that these two will race in BTCC again, at least in the near future.

However, they may be another Alfa in the series this season as Ian Court is looking to race one from the Donnington or Oulton meetings onwards...finance permitting.
Fans can actually help sponsor his car, as for a £1.50 text you can get a message/ad put on the car... Ian's Website

I last heard about this a month or so ago, so I am not 100% sure if his plans are still the same or if he is going to get the sponsorship to enable him to make those races... but it would be great to see an Alfa back in BTCC...although I fear as to how competitive it would be.

[SIGPIC]https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/aogallery/data/500/thumbs/MyAlfa1.jpg[/SIGPIC]
TEAM BOTCH
Supporting East Anglian Air Ambulance

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > International Motor Sport

Tags
156 , 2008 , alfa , btcc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page