Convertable 33 Sportwagon - Knockhill Aug 06 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Events Events from around the globe

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 07-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Convertable 33 Sportwagon - Knockhill Aug 06

www.colin-nicholson.com

Strictly speaking it's just a rolled 33 Sportwagon however it's a good excuse to show some photographs of the AROC Scottish Sections Knockhill Track day on the 25th August 2006... Injury's sustained were in the ego department only! ... Hope the link works...

Thanks for the photo's Colin!

Cheers

Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Re: Convertable 33 Sportwagon - Knockhill Aug 06

Cheers, is this the one Marlon also had a video off?
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 07-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hello there...

I did not realise that Marlon had posted some vidz! Excellent stuff... We sent a txt to the driver (not owner! ) when he was in the back of the Ambulance with Ally. "You are now the proud owner of a 33 SW convertable"... He is just beginning to laugh about it now! The car had been put up for sale the week before in AutoItalia....

Will fwd the links to the rest of the troops!

Thanks again!

Cheers

Neil
marlon

it'll be the one I video'd for sure.

I can't see any pics from that meet on Colins site yet , even the one of the 33....

AO Member

i've had a few close ones at duffus myself over the years. seen quite a few cars roll there too.

the gravel trap seems to be ok for racing cars, but road cars just seem to dig in. maybe knockhill should have another look at the layout at that corner ?
AO Platinum Member

Quattro, strictly speaking your sig' should read "You're never alone with multiple personality disorder" , although I admit it doesn't quite have the same ring to it
AO Silver Member

County: Perth and Kinross
Cheese Re: Convertable 33 Sportwagon - Knockhill Aug 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrothedog
i've had a few close ones at duffus myself over the years. seen quite a few cars roll there too.

the gravel trap seems to be ok for racing cars, but road cars just seem to dig in. maybe knockhill should have another look at the layout at that corner ?
Possibly the best course of action would be to stay on the grey stuff?

Marlon and I can testify that loosing it on Duffus is more fun though
marlon

Duffus has been reworked and isn't as violent as it used to be apparently. I didn't notice any difference really, but then I drive the track within my ability (normally).

My vids show a short in car clip of me losing it at Duffus because I went in too fast (brakes went wooden and I was getting cocky). This time I controlled the slide.

Last time I had a major off (Ally was behind me) I was stupid and clipped the kerb in the stripped out Silverstone in the torrential rain. I simply wasn't good enough to control that car, at that speed, in those conditions.

I kinda feel guilty about the 33 as I'd just passed it (again) on the straight and it wasn't going that fast really. I think the driver may have decided that if my car could fly into Duffus the way it was doing, so could his. Ally will be able to tell you

I'm probably wrong though, and I said in another thread that the car was all over the place in the twisy bits....too much lift off oversteer.

AO Silver Member

County: Perth and Kinross
Cheese Re: Convertable 33 Sportwagon - Knockhill Aug 06

I always say that until a driver goes too fast, he/she doesn't completely know for sure until he/she comes unstuck- even if all the signs are reading more will be too fast.

Personally, I just had to be sure

The 33 fell off because the driver deviated from approximately the racing line, and onto a tighter line just about the apex where the change in gradient and camber is at it's greatest. The driver's corrective response was unfortunately not right. Entry spped into Duffus was not significantly different from previous laps.

Track days are fun, but things can go wrong. Personally, I like controlling the car in extreme situations, and enjoy (in a safe enviormnent) trying to refine my technique which gives me payback even on the road. Fast driving and car control is not quite a use it or loose it skill, but I do find myself feeling very unnatural on track if I haven't been for some time. It's best not to get too rusty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Drive sideways- life's too short not to

Slip-sliding my way through winter. On four wheels and two.

Last edited by ally; 08-09-06 at 12:26.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > International Events

Tags
aug , convertable , knockhill , sportwagon

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page