Summer UK/Ireland Trackdays - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Events Events from around the globe

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 08-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

156 GTA

Summer UK/Ireland Trackdays

This is a spin-off from the Nurburgring thread where a few of us were wondering how on earth we would be able to pass the time before we would be able to afford another Nurburgring trip

During some last weeks liquid debriefings in Nurburg a number of us had suggested trying to get some AO'ers together for a track day in the UK or Ireland over the summer
Even Guezen and PeterK were threatening to come over and buzz us on a UK track!

Anglesey (wales), Donnington (England), Thruxton (England) and Mondello (IReland) were mentioned as possibilities.

Anglesey and Mondello are both in easy day trip range from the ferry depending what direction you are coming from (England /Ireland).
But of course if you had actually made your way over to Dublin you may as well make the most of hospitality and have a good night out there There is a special 24 hr £79 Stg return price for Irish ferries.

I have attached a Mondello track layout diagram, its a long technical circuit that fully exercises your car control although the difficulty of the corners keeps the top speed down - It also has safe run off areas.
A Mitsubish Evo would do a lap in about 2 min 10s.

During the summer the only Open track Mondello track days are on
5th June – Open Day
7th August – Open Day
I and probably MattIreland will be attending at least one of these in any case I suspect.
However Dublin may be too far for our European mainland visitors so I wonder should we intially concentrate on discussing UK mainland tracks? The chances are I will always be able to welcome AO visiters to Mondello with a bit of advance notice in any case

Anglesey is renowned as a small but perfectly formed little gem of a track that is a real drivers circuit.
http://www.angleseycircuit.com/cartrackdays.htm
Typical fast laps would be around a minute and power doesn't count for a huge amount, its all about handling and driver skill apparently. I haven't been myself but a few race driver chums of mine think it is a fantastic circuit.

From the Anglesey website the following summer dates are available.

http://www.angleseycircuit.com/cartrackdays.htm
09 Jun
Track Sport
01270 666500
Cars

16 Jun
Circuit Days
01302 743827
Cars

06 Jul
Bookatrack
08707 441635
Cars

11 Aug
Bookatrack
08707 441635
Cars

27 Aug
Circuit Days
01302 743827
Cars

28 Aug
Track Sport
01270 666500
Cars

At the opposite end of the spectrum Donnington is regarded as a very fast and exciting race track - plus its close to GTA Chris's house!
Is there already an Alfa bash planned at Donnington, if so could somebody post details?
I don't have time to look up the available dates at the moment.

BTW I'm not officialy organizing this or anything, just thought I would get the ball rolling in a seperate post that everybody could see rather than hiding our mutterings in Nurburgring thread.

Cheers,
TB

I'm not a doctor - but I really do recommend braking later

Last edited by Trailbraker; 08-05-06 at 22:43.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

hairdressers car

Re: Summer UK/Ireland Trackdays

im in but you knew that anyway
AO Member

County: Noord Brabant

Member car:

147 GTA

Ofcourse a circuit on the UK mainland would make it a bit easier on me (us), but you made it from Ireland to Nurburg, so we could return the favor also. Perhaps for Peter it would be a bit to much?

My schedule so far:
May is busy.
June is already booked with 2 trackdays.
July is free except for some weekends.
August is fully booked with work, vacation and the 24 hours of Brugge (karting).

After that everything is possible with exception of work messing up my free time all to often.

Would be nice if we could work something out.

Grtz,
Robert Guezen
AO Silver Member
Classic Alfas Lounge Winner 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbraker
At the opposite end of the spectrum Donnington is regarded as a very fast and exciting race track - plus its close to GTA Chris's house!
Is there already an Alfa bash planned at Donnington, if so could somebody post details?
As I'm co-organising the Donington bash, I guess I could post some details.

AROC Black & White Garage Track Day

Sunday 8th October at Donington Park National circuit. Cost is £99 per car/driver for AROC members. Novices welcome. Qualified instruction will be available and FREE to AROC members.

Refer to the AROC magazine or forums (http://www.aroc-uk.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3699) for details on how to book. Approx. 60 cars are already signed up, including some familiar names from this forum.
(Post Link) post #5 of 23 Old 09-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Hey thanks Bill.

I'mguessing there is a membership fee for AROC
and I have to be a member to follow the link?

If so maybe you could post a summary so that non members might consider joining up for this event?

£99 Stg for the track day sounds like very good value so I wouldn't mind joining even just for that.
How much is membership?

Do you know how many cars are allowed out on track at a time, and whether overtaking is allowed, how much track time is likely etc.

Cheers,
TB
(Post Link) post #6 of 23 Old 09-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Matts idea of an Anglesey / Mondello double header would be fantastic if the two circuits had dates right beside each other, but at first glance it appears that they don't.
The two courses are essentially just a short Ferry ride away from each other, plus approx an hours drive at either end to/from the Ferry.

Cheers,
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by guezen
Ofcourse a circuit on the UK mainland would make it a bit easier on me (us), but you made it from Ireland to Nurburg, so we could return the favor also. Perhaps for Peter it would be a bit to much?

My schedule so far:
May is busy.
June is already booked with 2 trackdays.
July is free except for some weekends.
August is fully booked with work, vacation and the 24 hours of Brugge (karting).

After that everything is possible with exception of work messing up my free time all to often.

Would be nice if we could work something out.

Grtz,
Robert Guezen
AO Silver Member

£99 is a great price and as AROC are paying for the instruction and the production of a "driver's pack", the day is reserved for their members. Membership costs £35 per year and there's a £7.50 joining fee for newbies. (Full details here: http://www.aroc-uk.com/misc/howtojoin.asp.)

At Donington there will be 3x20 minute sessions per hour with a maximum of 30 cars on track at a time. Drivers will be grouped by ability so that one session will be reserved for novices and the others for intermediate and experienced track drivers respectively.

There will be NO RACING, but overtaking is allowed on the straights and drivers will be told to signal, move over and let faster cars pass at the earliest opportunity. The emphasis is on safety and fun and novices are being encouraged to come along.

Bill
(Post Link) post #8 of 23 Old 09-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

That sounds pretty good Bill.
I could well come along to that in additon to whatever we might arrange over the summer timeframe.

Hmm maybe I better apply soon in order to get a slot at Donnington, I imagine that will be pretty popular!

Cheers,
TB
Peter K

Hey Guys, looks like you've been busy and still buzzing from the Ring trip Sounds like a good plan is forming, and I'll be watching this thread to see if it will be possible for me to go.

If you go to Donnington, i can most likely hop on a plane and Jumpseat to EMA and stay for the day. The connections are pretty good, and i even get a substantial discount at the Airport Thistle should i have to stay for the night So cost would def not be an issue for that scenario.

AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Donnington in October sounds like a very good option.

What time does it all start and when does it end? How many sessions per group?

I think AROC is getting some new members from this forum.

Grtz,
Robert Guezen
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Hmm maybe I better apply soon in order to get a slot at Donnington, I imagine that will be pretty popular!
There are about 60 cars booked so far! (But if you wait until July before joining up, you'll save £10 on the membership fee for 2006 )

Quote:
What time does it all start and when does it end? How many sessions per group?
Track is open between 9am & 5 pm (I think). Each car should be out for 1x20 minute session per hour.

Quote:
I think AROC is getting some new members from this forum.
And vice-versa. AO has it's supporters in AROC and some new members have come in this direction as well.
AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Pig
Track is open between 9am & 5 pm (I think). Each car should be out for 1x20 minute session per hour.
Better make this a three day visit then. No way I'm driving home after about 8 sessions of 20 minutes.

Sounds very nice.

Grtz,
Robert Guezen
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Double header is ambitious especially concerning wear on the vehicle, tyres etc. Quite fancy Anglesey as its used by Fifth Gear, Mondello looks better though, I'd be up for Donny to as thats quite far off and last time I did it in a Caterham Super light SV and didn't find it that much fun would have prefered to be in my own car.

I could probably do July, to many weddings and other stuff going on in June.
(Post Link) post #14 of 23 Old 10-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Don't forget you should be getting some passenger laps in too from other AOers and maybe even AROCers.
Given that we don't know the track they probably will almost be as useful at the beginning!

Must keep an eye out to see if there is another track day at another circuit the day before or the day afterwards and get the best value out of the Ferry

Quote:
Better make this a three day visit then. No way I'm driving home after about 8 sessions of 20 minutes.

Sounds very nice.

Grtz,
Robert Guezen
AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
Don't forget you should be getting some passenger laps in too from other AOers and maybe even AROCers.
Given that we don't know the track they probably will almost be as useful at the beginning!

Must keep an eye out to see if there is another track day at another circuit the day before or the day afterwards and get the best value out of the Ferry
I kind of thought you would do the home work again, and I hang on your tail the first few laps.

Might combine it with a visit to AutoDelta. (for a set of door sill covers ofcourse)

This is beginning to sound like a permanent entry in my agenda.

Cheers.
(Post Link) post #16 of 23 Old 10-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Torquey motors do quite well at Mondello so I suspect your GT would be punching nicely above its perceived weight there - to the detrimental suprise of some of the natives no doubt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys
Double header is ambitious especially concerning wear on the vehicle, tyres etc. Quite fancy Anglesey as its used by Fifth Gear, Mondello looks better though, I'd be up for Donny to as thats quite far off and last time I did it in a Caterham Super light SV and didn't find it that much fun would have prefered to be in my own car.

I could probably do July, to many weddings and other stuff going on in June.
(Post Link) post #17 of 23 Old 10-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

I believe their "sill covers" are very good!

Quote:
Might combine it with a visit to AutoDelta. (for a set of door sill covers ofcourse)
AO Member

Member car:

Octavia vRS tsi

I wouldn't mind a day in Mondello...the last time I was round there I was in a very quick 20ltr MK11...sideways everywhere
AO Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

155 2.0 16v =D

As long as I have fixed my Alfa in time I'm up for it!!

Don't mind where in UK as I'm in Wales. Kinda in between all suggested locations
(Post Link) post #20 of 23 Old 04-07-06 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Just a note to say that the AROC Donington track day has its own thread now in the Events section and that a few AOers are signed up for it already. Sounds like it should be a really good day out.

Cheers,
TB
AO Silver Member

In terms of UK tracks, Goodwood, Thruxton, and Donington all suit road cars as they have plenty of quick corners and not too many big stops (as long as Doni is in the National config, not the GP. The GP is a brake killer). They are also all accessible to me - I live 20 mins SE of Thruxton - so I'm interested in any AROC days there. I prefer the idea of a lot of other road cars on a day, rather than tracking the Alfa on a typical day full of caterfield radinails.

Thruxton is interesting - they generally don't allow trackdays there, and have a "road silenced" requirement that most trackday specials would not meet. I wonder if AROC could arrange something there?

I've booked the Doni day and joined AROC - will also be interested in Black and White as they are as local to me as either of the main dealers I've used, and I may use them in future for servicing- even in warranty - as the dealers are both rubbish.
(Post Link) post #22 of 23 Old 05-07-06 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Have to get root out a game that has Donington, to at least know the layout.
I think GTR has it, since Donington is a very fast circuit I may as well know where I am going

Jwyatt, do most track days in the UK not stream the cars by performance/experience? Or is this not working out that well for you - I think you mentioned there were a lot of track day specials at UK track days.

There was a nice very well setup light 250bhp Westfield at my last track day but most of the folk in these sort of cars cars seem pretty courteous to other traffic, when overtaking or being overtaken.

Cheers,
TB
AO Silver Member

I think it's fair to say that even since I started in the game - 2001 - there are far more trackday specials and far fewer standard road cars at trackdays in the UK with the major organisers like Bookatrack and Easytrack, who I mostly use. Particularly in the summer months. There are also a lot of people using trackdays as test sessions but without the timing. Fair enough, I used to, but I used to approach a trackday with a trackday mentality and not everyone does. If a whole gang of people from one race series turn up at a trackday because they're racing there soon, you can be sure testosterone will take over, overtaking rules will be ignored, and tempers will fray. People will also be pushing harder, and more likely to cause damage to themselves and others.

I don't have an issue with a mix of faster and slower cars on certain tracks if everyone is playing ball. But some cars mixes and some circuits don't go together well. Take my old Caterham vs my GTA, as an example. The cat had only 115 bhp and naff all acceleration much above 70 and topped out around 110, but could manage a lap of say brands indy, even in my hands on road tyres, in 56 seconds dead, exactly the same as a 350bhp track tuned impreza on sticky tyres driven by Phil Bennett in Autocar. They are just imcompatible on track - down the strights, the cat is holding the other car up if ahead, in the braking zones and corners the road car is holding the cat up so much that the cat driver is not having fun.

The circuit makes a huge difference. Places like Brands Indy and Rockingham have few proper straights and drivers are always working, so rarely let quicker cars through, casing jams and frustration. Places like Goodwood with few cars on at once are great as you barely see anyone, tracks like snetterton, doni, combe etc are also good as there are plenty of straights. I would personally only do test days at brands or rockingham, never trackdays.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > International Events

Tags
summer , trackdays , uk or ireland

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page