Nurburgring in the new year? (2006) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Events Events from around the globe

(Post Link) post #1 of 633 Old 03-11-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

156 GTA

Nurburgring in the new year? (2006)

LATEST NEWS
===========
(This post will be edited regularly to reflect the latest info)

NEW!: Step by step directions from Calais to the Hotel an der Nordschliefe.
The map allows you to quickly scroll around in real time for any of the route stages.
I would say that it is well worth printing this page out in color before you go, possibly with some of the mini-maps expanded.

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...=17&image.y=10

There is additional excellent info on Ben Lovejoys nurburgring.org site. The main route he mentions is the one detailed above.

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/direct...ais/index.html

The AO Nurburgring Trip date has been finalized for Sat April 29th 2006!
Saturday has a public evening session and both Sunday and Monday of that weekend are open all day to the public.

The group AO booking has now completed.
IF you haven't booked yet you really have to do ASAP to be sure of getting a place close enough.

"Hotel An Der Nordschleife"
Hotel, Bar & Restaurant
Apartment: €35 per person

Address
Triererstrasse 12,
51518 Adenau - Breidscheid
Directions:
Right next to Breidscheid entrance in Adenau!
Facilities
Secure garage, car-port and lot parking. Rooms en-suite with mini-bar, satellite TV and VCRs. Bar & Restaurant. Balcony views of the track. Workshop equipped with lifting ramp, tools, welding equipment, trailer, etc. Tyres and bike 'service' at weekends. English spoken
Yes
Phone & fax
+ 49 2691 930158

http://www.hotel-an-der-nordschleife...h/index_e.html

A rough itinerary is:

- Travel on Sat
- Maybe some exploratory sighting laps on Sat evening..
- Meet up Sat night
- Drive the ring Sunday
- Exchange heroic tales Sunday night
- Drive the ring Monday
- Return

Most probably returning Monday night, others may choose to stay over that night and returrn on Tuesday morning.
(Monday night accomadation has not been booked for anybody at this point, at least not by me )

[See the following link for a graphical display of the Ring opening hours
http://julesperry.com/ring-2006.htm
]

Some useful travel arrangement info will be posted shortly.

Currently we have 14 confirmed participants:
10 of these are staying at "Hotel An Der Nordschleife" and associated guesthouses.
A total of 11 cars.

Trailbraker : Hotel Booked
Peter K : Hotel Booked
156SI (+Friend) : Hotel Booked
Matt Ireland (+Friend) : Hotel Booked
Sandys : Hotel Booked
Vamos (+Friend) : Hotel Booked
Edward : Hotel Booked
Jochie_155
Guezen
Classic (Sunday only)
Cuore_Sportivo_155 (one day only)

Plastic Pig and some of his mates are also doing the Alfa 75 experience that weekend so there will be a few Alfas about

Spare a thought for Jon'o who has helped a lot in planning this behind the scenes - and needs a lucky break with some work scheduling to be able to come.

Spare an even bigger thought for Veloce_gee who has had his car crashed into TWICE while waiting for this trip!!!

The locations many of the attending AO'ers is shown on the AO ring map created by Jono - quite an international flavour
(a little out of date at this point)

http://www.frappr.com/alfaownernurbu...06#addyourself

IF you want to join with us, simply post a message to this thread and add yourself to the AO Ring map!

It might be an idea to subscribe to this thread too so you are kept up to date.

Cheers,
TB

------ Original post--------
It seems to me that there are a number of AOers who have some aspiration to visit the legendary Nurburgring or are already Ring regulars.

I am curious if there is any interest in meeting fellow AO'ers for a Ring trip sometime in the new year?

Personally I would love to meet some of the members on here, talk cars and experience driving on the best track in the world!
I am definitely going at some time in the new year and from informal mails with some of the members here it is very likely that I will be bumping into at least one or two fello AO'ers in their own cars.

This is just a "sounding out" post so I'm not planning on too much detail at this point since I want to see what people think in principle first.

The general idea would be to go at a time when the ring would not be at its busiest and maximum chance of good weather. I believe this would likely mean a week day if we were to attend a "public" ring day (there are proper track day alternatives as well).

It would probably be irresponsible of me not to point out that the Ring would not be the best place for your first track day, and that some track experience would be strongly advised.

Just to cut down on potential discussion options here it is not planned that this trip will revolve around the Alfa 75 experience.

As the level of interest becomes apparent, I (or others) will post details for discussion such as likely expenses, preferred AO hotel, and recommended preparation.

The negotiation of the time to go will be interesting but I for one am likely to be totally flexible as to what suits the majority.

So what do you think - make the ultimate new year resolution !

Cheers,
TB

I'm not a doctor - but I really do recommend braking later

Last edited by Trailbraker; 23-04-06 at 21:39.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Re: Nurburgring in the new year? (2006)

I'm interested for sure.
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

I been once before and want to go again, think we need Jochen155 as chief advisor to this
Peter K

Count me in!

(Post Link) post #5 of 633 Old 03-11-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Great stuff - Good to have a few enthusiastic souls already!
It doesn't matter if we don't have big number, a great time will be had - I'm pretty sure of that much.

Jochen was previously very generous to me in offering lots of advice for the trip I was due to take a months ago which got cancelled due to the fact that my car needed some work on it.

I had actually arranged to meet up with him over there but it wasn't to be. He has a LOT of ring experience and I'm sure he will have some wise words for us. Hopefully we would be able to meet up with him too

Cheers,
TB
(Post Link) post #6 of 633 Old 03-11-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

When did you go? And what did you think

I know some Irish car forums were buzzing on a high for weeks after a big group of experienced track day drivers went over.
It was like they were all on some long-lasting super-drug!

TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaJack
I been once before and want to go again, think we need Jochen155 as chief advisor to this
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I would be interested to make it along......but I'm probably not going to be back over in EU until maybe July next year.

But I'll be watching this space to see how you guys get on.......unless you are planning something for July too.
(Post Link) post #8 of 633 Old 04-11-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

I supect the window it is likely to be late Feb to April, but am interested in other peoples views.
We probably need a seasonal weather report from our man on the ground Jochen
..or another Ring regular like Cuore_sportivo_155

Also some people might need to let their finances recover for a month or even two after christmas..

Cheers,
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascs
I would be interested to make it along......but I'm probably not going to be back over in EU until maybe July next year.

But I'll be watching this space to see how you guys get on.......unless you are planning something for July too.
AO Member

Chief Advisor reporting in

Advice 1 : I think the trip is a good idea!
Advice 2 : no crashing!
Advice 3 : everyone should let me drive their car to evaluate the set-up on the Nordschleife
Thats it for now, stay tuned

Seriously, I would be happy to help you guys in any way to prepare the trip and blend in better, as in good for everybody etc.

Coming over on a weekday is a good idea if you can get it sorted.
Dont let the opening hours fool you, 1/2day of tracktime during the week is much better than a full day during the weekend

I wont participate in choosing the date, suffice to say I will be there

I am leaving in a few hours for the last VLN race of the year.
Friends of mine have my stickers in large on their non-Alfa-but-very-nice-car-nonetheless and I got a full pass for photography, enough said

Cheers,

Jochen
Peter K

Just to second what the others are suggesting. Going there during week days should be the way to go.

On Weekends the TRack is lumbered with loads of people, especially bikes, which supposedly can be very annoying(or so i've been told)

So planning for the visit during the week days is high on my wishlist.

(Post Link) post #11 of 633 Old 04-11-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

BTW I don't have time at the moment but I have some links to good quality videos of ring laps that would be useful for learning the track and the right line, and also whetting the appetite for anybody who isn't sure how awesome this track really is.

Thanks to Jochen for his advisorship

Cheers,
TB

Last edited by Trailbraker; 05-11-05 at 19:35.
(Post Link) post #12 of 633 Old 04-11-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

From what I heard from a few friend - the bikes just blast by on the straights, and but can suprise the car drivers as an almost "stationary " bike appears to materialize in front of the cara as they round the tighter corners at higher speeds than the bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter K
Just to second what the others are suggesting. Going there during week days should be the way to go.

On Weekends the TRack is lumbered with loads of people, especially bikes, which supposedly can be very annoying(or so i've been told)

So planning for the visit during the week days is high on my wishlist.
AO Silver Member
Classic Alfas Lounge Winner 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbraker
BTW I don't have time at the moment but I have some links good quality videos of ring laps that would be useful for learning the track and the right line
There are some good vids, here:
http://www.8200rpm.com/index.php?p=1&t=3&lang=en
(Post Link) post #14 of 633 Old 05-11-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Thanks Bill.
Looks like there might be some good ones there, I'm on too slow a link to check them out at the moment.

For anybody interested heres one of the lap record being broken a few weeks ago by a Radical SR8, 360bhp, 2.6 V8 in a time of 6'55.

http://home.btconnect.com/Elisesport...8-6_55_lap.mpg

http://www.radicalextremesportscars....0905/index.php

While its a high quality video its way too fast for a mere mortal to get anything other than an blurred impression of corners whizzing past.

BTW Bill is there a story behind your name change to Plastic Pig, feel free to PM me if it is too embarrasing for a public post

Cheers,
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Pig

Last edited by Trailbraker; 06-11-05 at 10:58. Reason: Corrected "abbreviated" links
AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Hi,

The links doesnt work
Anyway....here they are:

http://home.btconnect.com/Elisesport...8-6_55_lap.mpg
http://www.radicalextremesportscars....0905/index.php

Ciao
Lars

Quote:
Thanks Bill.
Looks like there might be some good ones there, I'm on too slow a link to check them out at the moment.

For anybody interested heres one of the lap record being broken a few weeks ago by a Radical SR8, 360bhp, 2.6 V8 in a time of 6'55.

http://www.radicalextremesportscars...d0905/index.php
http://home.btconnect.com/Elisespor...r8-6_55_lap.mpg

While its a high quality video its way too fast for a mere mortal to get anything other than an blurred impression of corners whizzing past.

BTW Bill is there a story behind your name change to Plastic Pig, feel free to PM me if it is too embarrasing for a public post

Cheers,
TB
AO Member

Trailbraker

I'm up for such a trip. I was planning one with a couple of mates, but one of them has gone all 'Surf Dude' and has swapped his Pug GTi-6 for a VW camper van

prob. thinking about late spring myself. do keep me posted.
(Post Link) post #17 of 633 Old 06-11-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Good stuff VG.

Its probably a good idea for everybody who is interested to sunscribe to this thread, so you don't miss any important decisions if you are away for a few days.

Sorry to hear about your friend, always a pity to lose a good man
I imagine the Pug would have been great fun there.

Another chap "Vamos" expressed interest on another thread.

@Lars : Thanks for the correct links, I hadn't noticed the automatic abbreviation the VB forums do.

Cheers,
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloc_Gee
Trailbraker

I'm up for such a trip. I was planning one with a couple of mates, but one of them has gone all 'Surf Dude' and has swapped his Pug GTi-6 for a VW camper van

prob. thinking about late spring myself. do keep me posted.

Last edited by Trailbraker; 06-11-05 at 12:35.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Quote:
When did you go? And what did you think

I know some Irish car forums were buzzing on a high for weeks after a big group of experienced track day drivers went over.
It was like they were all on some long-lasting super-drug!

TB
I went in July last year, it was a great experience but it didnt end too well Jochen saw it straight after.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showt...q4+nurburgring

Both powersteering pipes got fixed by a German dealer for £160 - bargain!

My breakdown cover flew me back over 2 weeks later to collect it, I then enjoyed a constant 100mph run all the way to Calias and made the boat with 5 mins to spare!
(Post Link) post #19 of 633 Old 06-11-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Bad luck AlfaJack.
I think you are right that breakdown cover would be a no-brainer and take away the worry of any expensive transport costs should some bad luck arise.

The Irish branch of the AA do offer Europe wide breakdown cover for a modest fee, including transport to a garage of your choice including from Germany back to Ireland/England.
I'm sure the same or better offer is available from the England AA.
I do mean to doublecheck the details on this in the nearish future.
You mentioned on £50 for your cover in the other thread, sounds like a bargain allright!

[**EDIT: The AA fivestar breakdown policy specifically excludes the Ring itself **]

While the Ring is officially classed as a public road, to be safe I think I would get the car collected from outside the circuit perimeter should a failure happen at the ring.

That said I think everybody would really have to make sure that their car is absolutely in A1 condition before setting out.

I hope to post a useful checklist of things to check at some point (drawn from various sources), although most of it would be familiar to those who do track days regularly.

Cheers,
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaJack
I went in July last year, it was a great experience but it didnt end too well Jochen saw it straight after.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showt...q4+nurburgring

Both powersteering pipes got fixed by a German dealer for £160 - bargain!

My breakdown cover flew me back over 2 weeks later to collect it, I then enjoyed a constant 100mph run all the way to Calias and made the boat with 5 mins to spare!

Last edited by Trailbraker; 15-01-06 at 22:20.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Quote:
You mentioned on £50 for your cover in the other thread, sounds like a bargain allright!
Yeah its great, a deal with Chris Knott insurance.

Quote:
That said I think everybody would really have to make sure that their car is absolutely in A1 condition before setting out.
Yes, a must!! My breakdown was kind of self inflicted, I had placed the PS pipes too close to the manifold when I rebuilt the front end, I was absolutely hurtleing round the ring and I bet the turbo was glowing a bright red and caused the pipe to split
Peter K

I missed a trip to the Ring earlier this year due to failed power steeing Happend the night before!!

Anyway, i know that some of the guys brought a Playstation 2 with a GT4 game or something.. one of those videogames where the tracks are a very detailed copy of the real thing.

Great idea really! they borrowed or rented a TV at the hotel bar area, and practiced the night before going out on the track. Seems like a good way to get to know the Track in advance

(Post Link) post #22 of 633 Old 06-11-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Honestly why wait till then?

Buy, beg, borrow or steal a PS/2 now, or over christmas and do some homework well before the trip
I know a some people who learned the track completely off by heart on Gran Turismo 4 before they visited, and swear that they got a huge amount of extra value out of their trip by already knowing which side of the road they should be for each corner - and knowing for sure where the really difficult bits were so you could be properly prepared.

One of the Williams BMW F1 drivers (Mark Weber) was interviewed by EVO magazine recently while doing a demo lap in a new M5 ring Taxi and he revealed that he had actually only driven the circuit a few times in real life, but that he knew the lines so well from the game.
Okay I imagine he is quite a quick learner too

There is an incredibly detailed guide to the ring as part of the Euro Circuit guides

http://www.circuitguides.com/circuitguides/euro.asp

You can just buy the single "Nürburgring GP & Nordschleife " guide for Stg £12.99

http://www.circuitdriver.com/acatalo...e_Singles.html

It gives excellent overview tips for memorizing the ring, and learning it piece by piece.
It was written by a previous lap record holder so he knows what he is talking about, but the intended audience of the guide is for various skill levels.

Buying this Guide and using it in conjunction with GT4 are probably not the worst things you could do if you wantd to get the most out of your time there.

I fully appreciate that this is just a game and the bumpy nature and elevation changes of the ring have to be seen to be appreciated - but at least knowing the track layout in advance will allow you to devote more of your brain power to steering in the right direction

BTW I think they took 30,000 Satellite photos for GT4 so if you compare the graphics against the videos that Bill posted you would be very impressed.
I know some folk would point out that there are more accurate "car driving simulations" out there than GT4 that also model the ring.
I personally don't know if they have been accurately GPS mapped and texture mapped to the same extent though.
We won't be driving at PS2 speeds through the corners that for sure when we get there, but it would be nice to recognize all the corners.

Cheers,
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter K
I missed a trip to the Ring earlier this year due to failed power steeing Happend the night before!!

Anyway, i know that some of the guys brought a Playstation 2 with a GT4 game or something.. one of those videogames where the tracks are a very detailed copy of the real thing.

Great idea really! they borrowed or rented a TV at the hotel bar area, and practiced the night before going out on the track. Seems like a good way to get to know the Track in advance

Last edited by Trailbraker; 06-11-05 at 19:39.
(Post Link) post #23 of 633 Old 06-11-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Some superb videos there Bill, thanks a bunch.
Love the way that they indicate where on the circuit you are.

The ones that follow another car are brilliant because you see how much the car moves around and appreciate the lines much more.

Cheers,
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Pig
AO Silver Member

County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Some really cool videos in there. I liked the Giulia one and the the two Ron Simmons videos; GTV6 and the "75 vs Octavia RS", The GTV6 sounds awesome untill the wind noise drowns it out
AO Silver Member

OK, found the link. Count me in, the Feb-April timeline is perfect.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > International Events

Tags
2006 , nurburgring , year

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page