Mondello - St Stephens Day - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Events Events from around the globe

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 22-12-04 Thread Starter
AO Member

Drunk Mondello - St Stephens Day

Anything on, and is anyone going!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

Re: Mondello - St Stephens Day

Not going there... Not aware of any events either.
I will be in Blessington though!

There is a Christmas Special AutoTest on in a quarry, and I have a 309 lined up to compete!

START: the REAR ENTRANCE to Red Bog, Blessington, Co. Wicklow (by kind permission of Dermot Carnegie), at 11.30 am SHARP. Check-in from 11.00 am. (approaching from Dublin, turn right 0.4 miles after Cross Chapel)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Saab 9-3

Will the 309 end up the same way as Toad's 145???
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

The 309 fared well.
There were 76 competitors.

We setup the 309 1.3 as best we could. I took the front-two 309 GTi alloys off my other car, and installed them on the front of the 1.3. This gave us slightly better traction than the standard ones. The rears on the 1.4 were almost bald, so I pumped them up to 40psi. We also stripped out the rear seats and the soaking wet carpet. The rear window had been removed on the car by the previous owner... so even MORE weight saved!

The weather was magic... We had heavy snow on Christmas day, and I'm just glad that I left the PUG in a friends house in Blessington a couple of nights before.
The drive up was on pure black ice, the mountains were covered in snow.
That didn't affect the numbers at all, and you don't notice the cold when you are as active driving.
There were 4 courses of varying difficulty. Easiest was a slalom of tight turns around barrels. The fact that the car didn't have power steering slowed me down. It was too hard to control with one hand while reaching for the handbrake or gearstick with the other. This affected me more on other stages.
The most difficult course was one where a series of handbrake into reverse manouvres, and tight enclosed turns were expected. My handbraking leaves room for improvement, as does my memory. It was so complex that I was lucky that I got 99% of the route right! Having a FWD car was a big killer too... Also the fact that we put the directional tyres on the wrong way round didn't help!

For Sale: Alfa Romeo Spark Plugs - NGK laser platinum, 10mm & 14mm. PM me.

"And now my friend, the first rule of italian driving. Whatsa behind me is not important."

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > International Events

Tags
day , mondello , stephens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page