Italy Road Trip 2005 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Events Events from around the globe

(Post Link) post #1 of 60 Old 16-12-04 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Turbo, 330CD

Italy Road Trip 2005

Some of you have seen this already on 145.com.... we're planning a trip to Italy next summer to visit the Alfa museum near Milan. Anyone wishing to join us needs to make themselves known here http://www.alfa145.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2053 where you can find full details. We are currently looking around the first 2 weeks of July, and hoping to spend around 1 week there.

Yes I've posted a link to another Alfa site, it seems pointless having multiple threads on different forums trying to organise the same thing. So bring on the flaming

Websites are like ********s, everyone has one, and im wary of any bloke trying to direct people into their's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Re: Italy Road Trip 2005

Excellent IDEA I think thats what I would like to do this summer - now which Alfa will I bring
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 1.8 TS

The reliable one...? I may see ya in Rosslare!
UnpredictableLips

Lick Re: Italy Road Trip 2005

This sounds like fun - anyone else from Scotland fancy it?

- Lips

(Post Link) post #5 of 60 Old 20-12-04 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Turbo, 330CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnpredictableLips
This sounds like fun - anyone else from Scotland fancy it?

- Lips
I think Mr T hinted an interest in it
AO Silver Member

County: Fife

Member car:

500 twinair

I'm another Scot who would be interested!
Half my family live in Tuscany so would possibly want to go there for a few days though!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Saab 9-3

I was thinking a trip to Italy would be good in the Alfa. Take Ol' Blacky back to his roots. Love to go across the Alps. I may have solved my where to go on holidays this year problem.
AO Member

Member car:

GTV Cup, GT

Looks like my trip to Le-mans is off as my mate I go with is getting married. So I'm up for this one.
AO Silver Member

I still would love to go to Italy once to drive from Milan to Sicilia!
I dunno though if I would want to do that in my own car, knowing how crazy those Italians drive!
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

I`m up for that.

I`ll try to get Sanitary to come too in his V6
(Post Link) post #11 of 60 Old 07-01-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Turbo, 330CD

ok, to keep this easier for my part i'll try and update this forum when there's a change worth knowing about...

we have a name list on the 145 site of attendees, maybe be worth starting one here too? Maybe? I dunno... just don't want people thinking they're on certain political forum based lists, but basically the options we've managed to get are:

Quote:
The best prices I can get are on the tunnel are 104 per car for the first
two weeks in July. There are restrictions though, travel from the UK has
to be after 5pm, and leave France before 11am. This is for a 7 day ticket
but stay can be extended you just show up pay an additional 30 when
you return as long as it in the specified time.

The next best deal is 156 with times of after 2pm leaving the UK, before
2pm leaving France, same applies re 30 for additional stay.

After that is 185 any time and 30 fee for additional time.

To get these prices tickets need to be booked before the 31st January and non
refundable.
We will be organising a group booking for the chunnel thanks to a member on the 145 forum (miaspa) so if your a weak stomached wimp (like me) then you have the more expensive option of the chunnel - 104 per car regardless of no. of passengers.
A few people have expressed interest in the ferry, so will have to meet some of you in France....
We are also (hopefully) meeting up with a dutch alfa forum en route, and a few other members who can make it from there respective countries.

So far the first suggested date to leave is as soon as we can (ie after 5pm) on Thursday 28th July.
This would give some of you who have to travel from ooop north a day to get down here.

We have a proposed (scenic) route but nothing confirmed yet. As the ticket is almost open ended some people only want to go for a short time, others a bit longer to make it more worthwhile, so may just be a free for all coming back, too early to tell yet.
UnpredictableLips

Myself and 'im indoors are up for this, and have provisionally booked time off for the dates mentioned. However, we'd like to do it on the bikes, which might mean messing up the group booking? Would it be possible for you to check this out, aj? If the worst comes to the worst though, we can book our own spaces, provided that we know which train/ferry everyone else is going on. Is Jan 31st still the deadline?

The Big Guy is a tad concerned that he'll be scorned and abused for not riding Italian (he has a Suzuki), but I've assured him that the AO are a friendly lot, who wouldn't dream of doing that...

Also, what's the word on accommodation? I'm guessing this won't be finalised until there's a set agenda, but could I request in advance that consideration is given to secure parking.

Keep me up to date with the details, and in the meantime, I'll do some checking on ferry prices etc.

Are the Scottish contingent up for a convoy?

- Lips

AO Silver Member
Classic Alfas Lounge Winner 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnpredictableLips
The Big Guy is a tad concerned that he'll be scorned and abused for not riding Italian (he has a Suzuki), but I've assured him that the AO are a friendly lot, who wouldn't dream of doing that...
As he's a big guy from Glasgow, they'd need to be pretty stupid to even dream of it.
UnpredictableLips

Tee-hee... and he has a fine repertoire of scowls and glowers...

aj, I had a look at the 145 forum, and it seems a bit disorganised If you get a moment, could you jot down some definate details, such as DATES etc, as even these don't seem confirmed yet. I've booked time off based on first two weeks July...?

- Lips

(Post Link) post #15 of 60 Old 10-01-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Turbo, 330CD

The thread is under Meetings, it's called Italy Road Trip 2005.... cant really miss it only about 5 pages of mostly drivel at the mo

Dates arent confirmed yet, as I said in the last post - 28th July is only a suggested date... but it seems to look ok for most people (at least no-one has said no yet...) so 99% confident it'll be then - we (train people) need to have it confirmed by end of jan latest, so i guess just provisionally book dates off work for now.

Cant see a problem with your bloke on a suzuki, as long as he promises to stay at the back (non alfa).....yeah righty

Once we've got dates fixed for the train we will sort out accomodation around those and the route we take.... AFAIK no-one has tried to find a group booking discount on the ferry as we were originally all going by train....but shouldnt be a problem to get a ferry around the same time so we can all meet in france.

edit - just seen where you got confused - the quoted bit.. regarding car prices on the chunnel... it's been extended now so we can get the offer for end of july/august as well...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

a very dirty car

Hey Lips,
I live in Hull so would like to chase your bikes down the A1 to the ferry. I`m sure there will be other scots and northerners to come too.
I reckon we will have to go from a Dover ferry to keep the crossing price down (it also takes overnight to get to Zebrugge from Hull so thats out).

There are a few people who like the idea of using the boat so if you get some price please post them.

As far as block bookings of overnighters are concerned, a simple F1 hotel (like a travelodge) or something should be easy to book in France for the first night. A block booking in Milan is a must but inbetween time I personally reckon a night in Insbruck woudl be a good bet for a stopover - very pretty and most of the way there, just the nice twisty bits over the mountains for the next morning
UnpredictableLips

And so the convoy begins...

Chris, I think Mr. T may be going plus P17SUT from Scotland (+ others...?), so you might end up at the back of a l-o-n-g tail (or at the front - wasn't infering that you're slow, or 'owt...) Hey ho, the more the merrier, eh...?

aj, I saw the thread about this on the 145 forum, but it seemed a bit rambling with loads of different dates being tossed about etc. So much so, that I was working off first two weeks in July, rather than 28th! It won't be a problem though, I've only provisionally booked the time off and I'm sure I'll be able to change it.

I'll wait and see how things firm up. I feel a bit guilty just sitting back while other peeps do all the legwork in this, so if there's any research etc that's needed then just give me a shout (and I'll probably blank you... )

Cheers,

Lips

AO Silver Member

Member car:

a very dirty car

OK Lips, ferry crossing prices - can you get them? I would but I`m away on business for the rest of the wwek and wont get time - don`t mind trying next week though.

AJ - how about the F1 style hotel a few hours / miles into france? It wiull make a good meeting point and then the convoy will all be assembled in the morning? Its justa suggestion but bit by bit we may end up with a full plan

PS - can you tell I`m a project manager yet
MT
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

For ferry prices www.speedferries.co.uk has already been mentioned and is 25 each way (so 50 return). And looks like they're still taking bookings for the 18:15 crossing on 28th July. If you can beat that i'll be amazed!
AO Silver Member

Some people (it seems to me) on the 145 forum seem to think that the AO italy trip is an entirely separate one from the one being organised on the 145 forum.
Should someone mention on the 145 forum that they are all the one?

Oops - sorry re-read it and realised its only Holygard trying to rise us again
(Post Link) post #21 of 60 Old 11-01-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Turbo, 330CD

@Lips, no one has really looked at ferry prices yet... so if you fancy a task...!! I guess get prices looking to leave on the 28th July @~5pm.
The train ticket is for 7 days, but can be extended for 30. As i would like to be in |taly for 1 week, i will be extending mine, if others want to leave early they can...
Also we need to sort a route. Someone on 145.com has suggested a route, i will paste it here shortly, but if you wouldnt mind to plan a route or try and find accomodation on the way it would be a good help...

@Chris - don't know the F1 style hotel.... never been to France got any details on it??

@MT ah ok, you do the female's job

@Alfauy - Hoyg suggested that someone had try to organise a trip on AO, i couldn't find anything on it

I tried to make clear above, this isn't a seperate trip, its the same one - and also to put the point across it's not a 145.com trip, a ao.com trip or a 155.com trip, it's an Alfa trip (it just has to bearranged somewhere....)

@Chris/Lips/anyone else... please make suggestions on routes/places to stay as it will help me out as work is well busy at the mo....
MT
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarter
@Chris - don't know the F1 style hotel.... never been to France got any details on it??

@MT ah ok, you do the female's job
NO WAY dude, i'm NEVER doing that for you again! Not sober anyway...

There's an F1 hotel visible from the A406 as you go past Ilford, they're just a chain of no frills cheap 'hotels', nothing to do with F1 and only about 25 for a room for a night at the Ilford one. Not on-suite or anything but does the job if you're just looking for somewhere to crash.

And Pimp posted the speedferries thing on the 145 thread, i was just quoting. Pay attention!

I am well looking forward to this btw!

Quinn is Tintin, Q is Betty Boop, LeeBex is Mr Benn, Wrinxy Jinxy is a whole Agatha Christie suspense novel by himself. AJ's not a bear but BazzaKarhu the earth pig is. Debs is the Essex Pink Orange fiend. Jason is Marlon, i'm Marlon, Marlon is Spartacus. Chris155 (Andy's dad) ate all the pies. AlfaJack, you b*stard! Jimbo's a superstar. Speedy, Barry, San and Thompatruck turn into pumpkins at midnight.
UnpredictableLips

I'll have a wee look at ferry prices etc this evening. Time allowing, I'll also have a wee look at possible routes, and post something for consideration soon. Are we working on the basis of a fairly leisurely journey (rather than 500 miles/day)?

- Lips

AO Member

Member car:

GTV Cup, GT

I used http://www.ferry-tickets-online.co.uk/ when I went to le-mans. I think price depends on when you travel. Sea France seem to be the easyjet of ferry companies.
AO Silver Member

County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarter
@Alfauy - Hoyg suggested that someone had try to organise a trip on AO, i couldn't find anything on it
That's because there are no posts about it. It was brought up in the Chatroom on a few occasions, that's all.

@ Alfaguy

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > International Events

Tags
2005 , italy , road , trip

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page