When are we going on the rollers again? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Events Events from around the globe

TAZ

Help When are we going on the rollers again?

Hey guys,

As much as I love going to shows I just can't say NO to putting the beast on the rolling road once in a while!

Would anyone be interested in attending another one of these noisy sessions when the weather gets warmer?

For those who came to York, I think you'll agree with me that the temperatures may have been good for horse power but not so good for our ageing bones!

T.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

marlon

Re: When are we going on the rollers again?

Me and Jason77 have access (through Mr T from AO) to a state of the art set of rollers which will do 4x4's and has a cooling fan powered from a doofer the size of a small room. It's in Dalgety Bay (near Dunfermline) though. This place has become very popular as it's probably the best setup in Scotland now and is apparently very accurate. Compared to this place, Kershaws is very old fashioned and they don't have the ram-air cooling like Dastek.
I'm gonna go on these rollers sometime soon I hope.

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I'd be interested in rolling roading my car, as long as it wasn't ridiculously far away. Sounds like a good excuse for a meet too.
AO Member

Member car:

GTV Cup, GT

Post if your prepared to come up and I'll see what I can arrange. Should be about 15 quid a car, AO and 155 welcome.
TAZ

Cry Like A Baby Re: When are we going on the rollers again?

Hm.. I would like to venture onto Scottish soil but.. as it is 400mls away I think that spending 80 on fuel just to get there to attend a 15 rolling road session does not sound like the most sensible thing I've ever planned

..particularly when the AA route planner does not even recognise Dastek's postcode and I quote:

Quote:
No route can be found because one of your selected locations is not accessible by vehicle. Please check and enter again, using the search tips if necessary.

What kind of vehicles do you Highlanders drive?

If we could meet for battle on more mutual grounds somewhere south of Hadrian's wall; just as my ancestors have struggled before me, I have yet to find the courage to take a step or two over the other side of the Wall for some Scotch spotting!

T.

Unregistered

I fancy a session on the rollers now I've got a powerflow system and k&n panel filter. Speaking to a guy from Cooper West in Manchester today- he can organise a session at a place in Bolton and could do Saturdays or Sundays. Would be 20 per car but would need 20 cars for it to work.
Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

Manchester eh....

Sounds good to me. Bonny Scotland is a bit far to drive.

I didn't mind York, it was within reach.

AO Silver Member

I've just been talking to one of my mates who is a member of the celica GT4 Owners club, they are regular rolling road users and of course are 4WD. These are slightly more costly than 2WD roads....

Talking to mates in the area there is nothing in the Bury Bolton area worth using..

There are 2 roads they reccomend Nobles in Chesterfield, or Power Station in Cheltenham.....

The reason for the reccomendation is the facilities (accuracy of the road, forced air cooling (to match the air flowing over the car on the road) ), as well as the attitude of the guys and the care taken with owners vehicles......

Simon

Alfa V6 - the ultimate aural pleasure
Simes - the Alfaowner formerly known as Alfa156man
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

I am off to Powertstation on the 20th, it'll be interesting to see what a stock GTA puts out, its not gonna be 250 is it as the 250 figure is PS right, not hp? so what would I be looking for 247/244?
AO Silver Member

summat like that,

I'm ordering the obddiagnostics stuff that pexi has got, and will set up something for the GTA around an old pocketbook laptop I have.. Run it in the car, get home wireless uplink to my home PC then output a dyno plot, would be nice to get it on the rollers just to complare the two....

I'm at nobles Saturday with the GT4-OC so will find out more details then...

Simon.
Unregistered

Chesterfield is do-able. Probably better for some of the Southerners too.
sub555

chesterfield sounds good being a southerner dont fancy trekkin across the border havent got insurance for going abroad

wrinx

Chesterfield is possible...be a hell of a drive for me though.....ooh, all of about 3 miles to Nobles

Simon, I'll be out and about picking up me JTD on saturday...giz a wave if you spot me

wrinx

AO Silver Member

Member car:

alfa romeo 155

i was just going the say wrinx!
TAZ

Chesterfield sounds a lot more doable however, is this RR suitable for 4WD?

I am just trying to save myself from being horribly disappointed on the day..

Cheers,
T.

wrinx

Should be as there was a Scooby on it the last time I went. Henry and myself went down to join a Pug day and slipped the Alfa's in at the end

They seem to know their stuff and have an excellent reputation.

Suppose this means I'll be organising it

wrinx

AO Silver Member

It most certainly is,

The GT4's are all 4WD and it's why they use these two rolling roads, & why I suggested that we look at them cos I know there are some of you with four legged beasties out there rather than us two legged mortals with a second pair dragging along behind!

I believe the road has a capacity for cars up to 750BHP so I don't think we'll be troubling them in that department.

Wrinx - I'll certainly keep my eyes out for you - I'll be passenger in a silver Celica GT4 in convoy with several others. And I certainly don't mind if you organise things ;-)

I'll talk to the guys whilst I'm there and get some details / costs and get an impression of how the day goes & let you guys know.

If we are short of numbers I suppose we could invite members from 156.net as this would bring the price down for us all, and hopefully build a few bridges between the forums?

Simon
AO Member

County: Yorkshire
Thumbs Up Re: When are we going on the rollers again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinx
Should be as there was a Scooby on it the last time I went. Henry and myself went down to join a Pug day and slipped the Alfa's in at the end
Wrinx there was a Q4 there too belonging to Alex from Newcastle, think he was a bit disappointed in his outputs though.

Nick
wrinx

Yeah, forgot about Alex (fade2grey)...where is he these days???

wrinx

Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinx
Yeah, forgot about Alex (fade2grey)...where is he these days???

wrinx
Think he said he was going to New Zealand for a month or so and was gonna try and get the Q4 sorted when he got back
AO Silver Member

Just got back from Nobles with the GT4OC,

It was very well organised on there part, and things work like clockwork provided the owners club could get the cars organised to get onto the rolling road in the right order, however the place was heaving with over 30 cars turnign up from as far as field as Bristol.....

Each run takes about 15-20 minutes and they have a break about 12:30 for lunch (30 minutes), there is a deli that does great cholesterol in a roll just over the road.

Costs are as follows:

2-WD 28.00 minimum 16 cars maximum 24 cars.
4-WD 38.00 minimum 14 cars maximum 22 cars.

Where we have a mix the maximum numbers vary and will need negotiating, they had limited the GT4's today to 20 cars.

They want payment a week in advance, along with info on car (make type reg),driver (names).

The event starts promptly @ 9:00 but they supply brews through the day!

I've a few pictures of the place taken with the phone camera and I'll post them up later....

I think it would make a good day out so what do you think?

Simon.
AO Silver Member

Photo's from Nobles....

http://www.quantum.plus.com/stuff/nobles/Image001.jpg

The left hand bay is the roller, the right hand is the workshop.

http://www.quantum.plus.com/stuff/nobles/Image004.jpg

looking in the rolling road bay, you can just get the second set of rollers @ the bottom...

http://www.quantum.plus.com/stuff/nobles/Image006.jpg

a car on the road....

Simon.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > International Events

Tags
rollers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page