No positive reports from Centenary in Milan - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Events Events from around the globe

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 29-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

No positive reports from Centenary in Milan

Very negative reports coming from Milan Centenary Celebrations which can be read on Alfisti.com, Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

K9d
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Couldn't find the reports

Also where does your V6 store its extra valves
AO Platinum Member

County: Fareham, Hants
Have been reading the same reports. Shame really.
GTA_Nigel

There's an interesting explanation on the thread on Alfisti - basically it's down to Fiat not caring and withdrawing a promised Eur 110K budget. They "forced" a motor promotion group to do the event without funding which meant it was done on the cheap and with reliance on volunteers from RIAR and another Alfa club. So it's not surprising it was a bit chaotic. And of course it was Italy, which probably didn;t help.

IMO the "shame" should be laid at the door of Fiat and Alfa. This was probably the biggest gathering of Alfas and Alfisti ever, but no Alfa or Fiat exec showed the slightest interest in taking part and supporting the event. They don't like Alfisti, they don't like us and I came away from the event realising that the Alfa spirit is well and truly dead at Fiat. I was glad I was there to bid it farewell with the people who really care about it.

I was seriously considering getting a new Giulia when they are out but this whole event has made me not want to have anything to do with the Fiat group. Highly unlikely I will ever buy a new Alfa again.

Cheers,

Nigel

AO Member

There's also a sunny side on the whole situation: Alfisti from all over the world have proved to be a real community. Nearly all the comments sound like 'despite the mess the organization made from this event we had a splendid time together and have enjoyed each others cars and company'. Isn't that just great?

Fiat doesn't want the Alfisti. The Alfisti don't need Fiat to have a good time. We have ourselves and our cars. Let's focus on Goodwood, the Spettacolo Sportivo, the Apeldoorn Concours d'Elegance and all the other events, big and small, organized by enthusiasts, people who do understand commitment.

Owning a Spider 2000 Veloce (1981), babysitting an Alfasud 1.3 SC (1984)

Last edited by Dinky Boy; 07-07-10 at 06:29. Reason: typo
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

I agree with all the negative side of the official program,of which I didn`t receive until I returned to the UK,(and after arriving at Milan suite hotel 19;30 fri 25th to find it closed after a fire!!)
But on the positive side,I`ve never seen so many different Alfa related t-shirts in my life,and hundreds of carsMilan was a see of red (Alfisti).We saw this young couple hanging inside my GT door at Rho taking photos,when I said no,no,no,and wagged my finger at her ,her face dropped and she stood back from the car......then I opened the door and told her she could sit in the drivers seat....her face just lit up ,I don`t know who was going to cry first,her or me.
Another young local talked to us about the car & where we came from,how far,and the route,and told us there were people / cars from 52 different nations!!! I had an unforgettable time,a once in a lifetime event,and loved the camaradery,and have met so many new people from all over,swapped details etc., it`s been great.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AO Member

County: Cornwall
The best part of the centenary for me was the Monza track day on 24th June. This was both epic fun and historic - when again will we ever have the chance to drive for TWO HOURS on such a historic track with dozens of fellow Alfisti (and no non-Alfas on track). This was amazing value for 130 Euros (plus a whole tank of petrol).

Other bits slightly disappointing - but as has been pointed out this was essentially organised by ENTHUSIASTS on a budget NOT by ALFA ROMEO / FIAT, which of course meant limited cooperation from the authorities. As such I believe it was quite an achievement. Memories of the Monza day and driving to Milan and back in our old "bertie" will stick with us for a LONG time.
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

159 TI 1.9Jtdm

I think this event was a marketing saga for Fiat and it shows that the best thing that Fiat can do for this great brand is........... just sell it !
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

I believe Alfist.com will cease to exist after 18th july 2010, but for info,a site has been set up on facebook to try and keep everybody in touch, re 2015 centenary , it`s " Alfisti united ".

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > International Events

Tags
celebrations , centenary , milan , positive , reports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page