Tasman Series Revival - New Zealand - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
International Events Events from around the globe

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 11-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Tasman Series Revival - New Zealand

The Historic Racing Club in New Zealand are running race meetings at Pukekohe on 26/7 January and at Taupo on Feb 2 & 3. A large contingent of Formula 5000 cars and Formula Junior cars from NZ, Australia and elsewhere are expected. The NZ Alfa Romeo Trofeo Series is running at both events.

The meetings are to commemorate the glory days of the old Tasman series in the 1950s and 60s in New Zealand.

The Taupo round will be particularly interesting, with the meeting using the full A1 GP circuit with its new modifications. (The A1 GP round runs on the weekend of the 19th January at Taupo)

The former left/right/left complex at the end of the back straight has apparently been eliminated and I am told that a slow left hander is going in at the end of the back straight to encourage more passing for the A1 GP cars.

Will try and post some pictures after the meetings...

Cheers
David F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol
Re: Tasman Series Revival - New Zealand

Didn't they used to race at Levin too

(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 12-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi there,

Pukekohe, Levin, Teretonga and Wigram (airfield) were the NZ circuits used in the original series. (Puke and Levin in the North Island, Teretonga and Wigram in the South)

The Levin circuit was closed down in the 1970s, around the time when the new Manfield circuit at Fielding opened.

Levin was short, 1.18 miles, and was actually inside the horse racing track at Levin ! Its replacement, Manfield is a lovely track to drive, and is far more suited to modern motorsport than the very short Levin track would have been.

Have attached a circuit map FYI and a picture of Jim Clark leading Kerry Grant and Phil Hill in 1965.

Cheers
David Frith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65pic10b.jpg (22.0 KB, 5 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf map-levin.pdf (21.9 KB, 3 views)
AO Rosso Alfa Member

David, thanks for that. Although I stayed in Levin several times, I never managed to look in to the circuit. Is it still there albeit unused?

AO Member

County: Queensland

Great news!
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 14-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi again Gibbo - Alas the bulldozers have been there many years ago, the old Levin circuit is as far as I know, but a memory.....

I recall seeing a photo on a Levin related website somewhere of a 1929 Chevrolet that was apparently the last vehicle to lap the circuit before it was bulldozed !!

Our club members are actually looking forward to the new circuit "Hampton Downs" being built around 80km south of Auckland. (around 1km south of the Meremere dragstrip) It is due for first use in 2009, and earthworks are underway right now. We are hoping to run the Alfas as part of the first event. (Here's hoping!)

Have a look at Motorsport park & racing track - Hamptondowns, Auckland, New Zealand if interested.

Cheers
David Frith
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Looks fun

My lad will be over in NZ next Christmas in Marton to visit his mum. But he's not got any interest in motor sport as yet so I don't think he'll be very interested in checking this out for me

Member car:

Red 88 33

Sounds awesome I'd love to come see the all the Alfas out and about :P
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 05-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi there,

Its a little way from home for you but the next outing for the Alfas is an Alfa Romeo Owners Club meeting at the Manfield circuit (Fielding, near Palmerston North) on 26th April. The club are running both sprints and race events, so if you fancy a spin in your 33, or just a look in, that's the next opportunity. ( For the sprints no roll cage needed, just some basic safety stuff, clubsport licence and Alfa Club membership)

After that, the last Trofeo Series meeting for the season is at Taupo on Sat 10th May. Its a national race meeting, and is on the long (A1GP) track.

The series will probably not be back at Pukekohe again until September. We are also likely to have a round or two at the new Hampton Downs circuit at Meremere next year. Keep an eye on the Trofeo Series website Alfa Romeo racing Trofeo series for information.

If you'd like to know more, you are welcome to send a PM through this site. I am on the NZ Trofeo series organising committee and my contact details are on the series website if you want to e-mail or call.

Regards
David F

ALFA - Always Looking For Another ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > International Events

Tags
revival , series , tasman , zealand

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page