Anybody know anything about insurance? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 13-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Anybody know anything about insurance?

My insurance company has cancelled my insurance for no reason what so ever.i had paid the policy up front,I have been driving the car whilst not being insured,my car is stuck at a friends house and it has to be removed,I have to take out a whole new policy which I don't want to do for obvious reasons,plus I can't afford it at the minute,and they won't cover me to get the car home.any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

If they've written to tell you, is the reason not given in the letter?
(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 13-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

I phoned them about an insurance quote on another car I was going to buy.they said they could not insure it.so I said ok I will try elsewhere.on the letter it states that I requested to cancel.all I requested was a quote for another car.thanks for your reply.
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
To move the car, buy temp car insurance online. I have just used this....Temporary and Short Term Car Insurance Compared - One Day to 1 Month - It cost me 27 quid for the day or 42 for 2 days. Ideal, if you just need to move a car legitimately.
AO Member

County: suffolk
Garage
Have the insurers asked for proof of

1. No claims proof
2. Driving licence
3. Driving licence for anyone else named on the policy
4. checked the index number is correct
5. The bank or credit card cancelled the payment

these are the most common things that will cancel a policy. call them and ask
(Post Link) post #6 of 18 Old 13-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

When I phoned for a quote for another car and couldn't insure it they just decided to cancel my current policy.premium paid in one lump sum at the start so no bank mistakes.this is all down to the insurer deciding to cancel for no reason.
(Post Link) post #7 of 18 Old 13-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Oh I forget to mention,no refund!looking another 390. Pounds for a whole new policy.plus I won't get my year no claims as the policy didn't run for a year.
AO Member

County: suffolk
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
When I phoned for a quote for another car and couldn't insure it they just decided to cancel my current policy.premium paid in one lump sum at the start so no bank mistakes.this is all down to the insurer deciding to cancel for no reason.
Call them again and speak to them. If you get no joy then ask to speak to a supervisor/ manager
(Post Link) post #9 of 18 Old 13-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Have done,they have offered me a refund for the remaining of the period which I didNt accept,then it turned out to be a refund for the cancellation fee,so I'm left with no insurance from the26/01/2016,my Alfa is on a public road and has not been sorn.So the situation is,I'm a driving instructor and I can't afford points on my License,the police go up and down the road all day long so I'm expecting to get the car lifted by them anytime now.thanks for all the help.
AO Member

Garage
Their lines will be recorded. If they say you asked for cancellation state that you did not, that you only asked about insurance on another car and politely suggest that whoever you spoke to has misunderstood you. If they insist you did ask for cancellation ask them to check the recording.

All else fails take the one day insurance as recommended above, move the car and take it up with the insurance ombudsman. They are pretty sympathetic to victims of bureaucratic **** ups. Like when Direct Line took my payment in full, issued a cover note (this was a while ago) and never set up the policy...
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

If you get nowhere over the phone write to them, layout the facts etc
AO Traders

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa

Hi,
I'm sorry I can't help with this specific problem if you need help with alternative insurer either for an annual or short period policy then please feel free to drop me line. I'd be only too pleased to try and help.
Regards,
Dan.

Last edited by [email protected] FLUX; 16-02-16 at 08:20.
Global Mod Team

I am sorry Snoodles but I feel the there must be more to this.

From what appears to be a simple misunderstanding - you applied for a quote on a new car and then:-

"on the letter it states that I requested to cancel.all I requested was a quote for another car"

We have gone to:

"I have to take out a whole new policy which I don't want to do".

So what I don't get is

a) why they cannot reinstate your original policy if a misunderstanding has occurred or:-
b) what is the problem with a new policy - presumably part of which can be paid from - "they have offered me a refund for the remaining of the period".

In a nutshell they are saying you cancelled when you made your enquiry and you deny that. What did you ACTUALLY say during that phone call for a quote?

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
Global Mod Team

County: Lancashire

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0JTS

I have moved this to here to get more help.
(Post Link) post #15 of 18 Old 14-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

In a nutshell,I asked for a quote on a bmw z4.they wouldn't insure it.so I told them I would try and get a quote somewhere else.from that the insurance company assumed that I had sold the gtv and cancelled the policy.I would never sell my gtv.didn't mention anything about my policy on the gtv.My policy was paid in full.so cancelling my policy with no refund is a no brainer.
(Post Link) post #16 of 18 Old 14-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Forgot to mention no no claims discount for this year,and when I'm trying to get insurance else where I have to tell them why I have had insurance cancelled and can't tell them why so they won't insure me.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: East Sussex

Member car:

Alfa

If you didn't ask them to cancel the policy they should be able to reinstate the cover (at their own expense if necessary). Ask for a copy of the call recording. Remember you also want no claims bonus reinstated. You can write to them to make a formal complaint, go through the complaints procedure and then, if you're not satisfied, write to your Financial Ombudsman. If in the meantime you have to arrange alternative cover this can be factored in when any damages are awarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
My insurance company has cancelled my insurance for no reason what so ever.i had paid the policy up front,I have been driving the car whilst not being insured,my car is stuck at a friends house and it has to be removed,I have to take out a whole new policy which I don't want to do for obvious reasons,plus I can't afford it at the minute,and they won't cover me to get the car home.any help would be great.
Normally you have to send a written request/email to the insurer to cancel so first port of call would be to arrange alternative cover then you can raise the issue with your previous insurer. You can ask your previous insurer to confirm who instructed the policy to be cancelled. If they have cancelled cover assuming you bought the new car without your actually confirmation they could be in trouble!

If you need to arrange insurance in the mean time id be happy to help with a quotation, we are really competitive on Alfa's and can offer monthly installments if you couldn't do it all straight away.

Eitherway hope you get it sorted.

Kind Regards
Neil
Greenlight
01277 650866

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section

Tags
insurance

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page