Alfa 147 Insurance repair issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 29-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Not Happy Alfa 147 Insurance repair issue

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice.

I was driving in London and came up to a set of traffic lights, there were a few cars infront of me and I was at completely stand still. suddenly I felt a bump forward and a heard a loud noise.
The car behind me had moved forward when the lights were still red.
The lady got out and apologised for hitting into the back of me. She was "doing some work".
I looked at the damage and it just seemed like a scrape on the bumper.

She offered to give me her insurance details, I said it's fine just looks like a small scratch and I told her not to do it again!

I got back into my car and then drove home.
I reported the accident to my insurance company and I memorised the number plate so I gave it to them.

So they logged it. The car was feeling a bit weird and I smelt rubber but I put that to shock from the accident.

On the weekend I parked my car across the street of my friends house and I noticed as I was going back to the car I saw something metal dangling down from the front right tyre.

It seems to have come loose. I told my insurance company on the Monday moring, and they said get it checked out to see if it is safe.

I had my car serviced and MOT'ed at a cost of £1100 :'( just 4 to 5 days before the accident. The garage is a place I trust and I called them up and described what was dangling off and they said they would not advise to drive it. So I told the insurance company and they picked it up and were going to fix it.

Well the car came back the other day and all they have done is replaced the bumper, but the metal bit hanging off is still there.
I am scared as s*** to drive it. But I have been working long hours this week and cannot take it anywhere for checking out.

The insurance company logged the faults, but why would they not fix it?

I know the bump was at the back but I truly believe the bump has caused something to be pushed/pulled or become loose or snapped off.

Is it dangerous to drive? Its a triangle/boomerang shaped bit of metal that seems to be connected to the wheels/wheel arms at the fornt tyre area. There is one on each side.

Does the insurance company think its not been caused by the bump?
Is it a cheap fix? Is it fixable at all?
Do I demand that the insurance company take the car back and get it looked at?
Can I take it to the garage I normally use and then send them the bill?

Any advice would be really welcomed.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
A picture would help - I can't imagine what can be hanging off your car - but equally I can't imagine that any bump at the rear that was slight enough for you to dismiss at the side of the road as "just a small scratch" could break or dislodge something at the front of the car.

I think it would be wiser just to take the car to your local trusted garage and ask them to look at it.
markw2014

it sounds like the wheelarch liner is hanging down - are you sure it's metal & not plastic? whilst it's not ideal, the worst that would happen is that the tyre would rip it off? turn your wheels onto full lock & have a closer look/give it a tug. after a very minor ding at the front of mine, the arch liner became dislodged - it's held in with plastic rivets which must get brittle over the years.

(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 30-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks guys,
I will take a pic tomorrow.

I can't understand it, as the garage would have told me if something was looking worn out.
They changed my handbreak cables because they were not in the best condition.

The car feels weird to drive.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 01-12-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi,
Please see the photos attached.

It also looks like theres a kink in the rod on the left, not sure if thats always been like that.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141201_093223.jpg (133.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20141201_093232.jpg (145.0 KB, 17 views)
markw2014

you know what? i don't like the look of that, i'll have a look under mine in daylight to see what it is, but i don't think i would drive it like that.

markw2014

in fact, repost this in the 147/156 section, there are guys more knowledgeable than me there, they'd identify it in a jiffy.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section

Tags
147 , insurance , repair

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page