Octagon Insurance pulling a fast one - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 08-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
TUT Octagon Insurance pulling a fast one

Sorry in advance for the long post but I feel I need to rant.

So my renewal landed mid last week for Octagon Insurance but I've found a much cheaper policy else where.

I ring up and speak to someone and ask to cancel the renewal, he says no problem, types a few things and says Done, I ask if I can expect any written or email confirmation and he says he isnt sure but its all recorded as notes on the system. I'm left with a feeling something is right but say ok and hang up.

On Monday I call back and inquire "is my policy still set to auto renew?", "Yes" the lady replied (what?!!!!) Ok can you cancel it please and this time she does a more convincing job and confirms Ill get something in the post or email (without me prompting her) to confirm along with the proof of NCB once the policy has expired... great i think, this sounds normal, and I leave it at that.

Today I received an email from the finance company that covers the monthly payments asking me to sign the new agreement!! Concerned that Octagon are trying to rip me off I send an email to customer services....

Quote:
"I have an increasing concern that my request to cancel the renewal of my car insurance policy which expires on the 23rd April is being ignored by Octagon.

I first rang Octagon on Saturday after receiving my renewal letter, while the price is good I managed to get a quote significantly less else where. I asked for it to be cancelled and was told this would be actioned and was advised to cancel my direct debit so no further payments could be taken and reassured me when I asked for proof that the call notes would be in the system but he could not tell me that a letter would be sent confirming this.

I was left a little unsure about the whole thing though and my instincts were proved right when I rang back yesterday. My first question was to ask whether or not my account was still set to auto renew and I was told it was! The person I spoke to previously had not actioned my request to cancel the renewal.

I didn't want an argument and didn't feel the need to make a point so I kindly requested the renewal be cancelled, I was told this time to expect a letter or email confirming this along with a proof of no claims.

Today however I have received an on-line renewal form from Premium Credit for another years policy payments, obviously I will not be signing it but I worry that Octagon are doing everything in their power to stop me from cancelling.

I hope you are able to confirm in written reply to this email that the renewal has indeed cancelled and I’d like to understand why my first request to cancel had not been actioned as was requested and indicated, I don't think I need to explain how serious if intentional such an action would be and in lieu of a satisfactory response I won't hesitate to approach the relevant trading authorities.

Kind regards

Me"
About 30 minutes later I get this response

Quote:
Dear Mr x

Cancellation of Private Car Insurance Policy - Vehicle Registration .
Following previous correspondence , I confirm that your policy with Octagon Insurance has been cancelled and all cover has ceased with effect from 11.59pm on 24/04/2014.
If you have not already returned the current Certificate of Insurance relating to this policy, please forward it to us immediately. Failure to do so is an offence under the Road Traffic Act.

We also have a legal obligation to make you aware that it is an offence under the Road Traffic Act to use a motor vehicle on the Public Highway without a valid insurance policy in place.

If you are keeping your vehicle off the road and it is not insured you must make a statutory off road notification (SORN).

Yours sincerely
Then tucked away at the end of the email is this

Quote:

Dear Mr

Tel: 0844 561 4615
Your Ref: reference number here
08/04/2014

Proof of No Claims Bonus

In response to your recent request, we are able to confirm the following No Claims Bonus:

Policy Number:
Inception Date: 24/04/2013
Cancellation Date: 24/04/2014 (actually ends at midnight on 23/4/14)
Years NCB 5
Protected NCB Yes

Firstly that cancellation date is a full day after my current policy actually expires.

Secondly the header of his email suggests I am cancelling the policy? I am not, I'm just not extending it.

Thirdly whats the point in sending back an expired certificate, It's not going to be much use at fooling anyone

Fourthly my renewal from Octagon said 6 years NCB yet this suggests only 5?

Fifthly wheres the explanation or apology for trying to screw me over when I first asked for it not to be renewed? I wasnt going to push this at this stage but may still consider referring the incident to the FSA or whoever regulates car insurers now days.

So I've replied with this

Quote:
x,
You mention below 5 years NCB, yet the renewal correctly stated 6. Please can you confirm that the correct 6 years NCB entitlement will be credited once the existing policy has expired on 23/4/2014 providing of course no claims are made between then and now?

To clarify my request and position, I am not seeking the cancel the existing policy, I am declining the renewal and extention of the existing insurance policy once it expires on at the end of 23/4/2014 as per the subject and body of my original email which I have again attached for reference.

A straight forward and honest response would be appreciated as I still have a feeling here that Octagon are doing something to complicate my non-renewal.
Regards
Me
I really get the feeling they're doing everything in their power to be difficult and I still cant believe they didnt action my first request to cancel the renewal.

Makes me glad I followed up the initial request as well, I wonder how many people get caught out by activities like this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Its probably just staffed by people who don't give a **** on minimum wage doing the job because its just a job. Cheapest isnt necessarily best when it comes to insurance.

I'm with esure and every time i've rung them they've been incredibly helpful and the customer support people have always been very chatty and can do, happy to help.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 08-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
I'm actually starting to see the value in paying that bit more for a better insurer!

I was with Morethan for 2 claims and one year and they were very good as well, I just hope between now and the 24th I dont have to do anything with Octagon as I bet they're real buggers for getting things done properly and quickly :@

I've just had to write to the finance company as well as I've spotted the new credit agreement is 'Live' with the first payment due on the 24th April, i'm hoping with this much notice I shouldn't have any problems but again I can't help but feel sorry for the poor buggers who don't realise until its too late.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: East Sussex

Member car:

Alfa

If you'd like an alternative quote in the meantime, I'd be glad to help you, MakeTeaNotWar.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section

Tags
fast , insurance , octagon , pulling

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page