Transferring NCB question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 18-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Help Transferring NCB question

My lad is getting a motorbike to run round on for a few years before he passes his car test

Will he be able to transfer the NCD he builds up on the bike to the car when he gets one.

Many moons ago I was able to to this when I swapped from a bike to a car is it still allowed .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: East Sussex

Member car:

Alfa

I suspect that if you insured the car with the same company that had previously insured the bike they might honour the bonus but it's not normally transferable between vehicle types.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 19-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Thanks for the reply .

Why don't they transfer anymore .
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Member car:

Alfa

I don't know exactly, but it's probably because experience on a moped (for example) doesn't equate to experience in a car. And with a car you can carry more passengers so the injury claims can be so much higher, so they want you to build up experience from scratch (and thereby pay more to start with).

I'm not excusing it.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 166

I used the AA and did exactly this Evel.

I spend 8 years on a motorbike from 16 onwards. I asked them if they would be able to transfer some of my bike NCD over to a car. They managed to honor 4 years of the total 8 I had built up. Obviously I didn't get the full whack but the money it saved more than made up for the 4 years I tecnically lost.

Some companies don't mind others seem to freak out about it. I decided to stay with the AA at the time. But my guess is most will not honour it.

I beleive I've tecnhcially lost all my motorbike NCD now I have had a car for such a long time.

Regards
Scott
Alfa 166 2.0 Twinnie - LPG and a few trick performance parts
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 19-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

alph a ramayo

That's my gripe with it Scott, surely the NCD should stay with the individual and be transferable if you stop using one form of transport and use another, you still drive/ride with the same care and attention .

When I were a lad many moons ago I swapped all my NCD I built up on bike to the car .
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 166

If anything being on a motorbike hightened my awareness as a car driver.
The same with the compulsury CBT. After I used that for two years on a baby provisional it gave me such confidence that when it came to the test I pass with 0 points.

I then stayed on a motorbike and did my car lisence. Again becasue of all the road experience all i had to do was concentrate on where to look rather than what was going on around me. Although I did keep donig blind spot checks you do on bikes (Becasue of the reduced visibility with being in a helmet and bikes have poor mirrors) that it made the test easy. Again no points on the test.

This doesn't make me a good driver as such but it does give such confidence to allow you not to panic. Which in theory is what being on the road is all about.

If I were to get a bike again I'd like to transfer some of these across. But I think you can only ever have one policy with the NCD against it.

Daft really becasue if you lose your licence for whatever reason its not like you can say well i lost my car one but I've still got a motorbike license. So I'll just use that. It gets removed from you as a whole. 9Which is the correct thing to do). But you'd think NCD should be based on time on the road regardless of the motor vehicle used.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Member car:

Alfa

There's no argument from me. Insurers have their quirks and we just have to live with it unfortunately.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section

Tags
ncb , question , transferring

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page