Surely that cannot be correct sir! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 17-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa Romeo Mito

Surely that cannot be correct sir!

I have been unlucky enough to have a car that has had multiple problems a mito 120 tb veloce to be exact. to the point that the garage are having it back off me and i now have the oppertunity to go for a 135 multi air. brilliant. well, you may think this.

I called up my insurance today (rac) and i have told them that my vehicle is being swapped by the garage as i have had too many issues, now remember that bit (it is not my fault) they said that they cannot insure me with the current underwriter i have (aviva) and that i will have to start a new policy even though i am only 3 months away from my second year of no claims so i will lose that year. I asked if i could leave and they have pretty much said no. i would either have to pay a £500 cancellation fee. or they can offer me another quote which is just under £2000.

surely this is almost blackmailing me into not getting another car even though my car is faulty?

does anyone know a reason for this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Probably not what you want to hear, but in simple terms the insurer withholds the right not to insure the different spec of vehicle, I'm sure they're not scheming and doing it out of spite so you don't get the other car.
Are you unable to get the garage to swap it for another 120tb veloce so that you earn your extra years no claims, if you still experience a lot of problems with it, maybe try an insurer that isn't so strict with their criteria that will allow you to change the car to the 135MA after the new policy starts.

Hope this helps
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
500 quid cancellation fee? What on earth? Who are you with?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
You will probably get no-where with your insurer, they are a law unto themselves. Any chance you can just leave the 120TB policy to run for another 3 months and have the 135 just parked up on your driveway?
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 26-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo Mito

Thank ypu for the replies, this is something I feared, I mean its not the end of the world for myself and I would prefer to get that extra 1 year but the quote I can get is only 90 pounds a month for the 135, m with the rac currently but what I don't understand is this. I put a quote through on confused.com and the rac came up with a quote at 1600. I'm currently paying 1550 so I phoned as a new customer just to see what underwriter that was with and its the same one! Aviva! So I just don't get why they can't charge me a tiny bit more over the last two months and settle it that way. I was thinking about doing that but leaving that beauty on the drive for two months would probably kill me! The weird thing is that surely if the direct debit was cancelled they would send a letter yes but they would just cancel the insurance? Or would that go against me? We are going to try and speak to a manager about the other quote. And to the last question unfortunately in the Northgate group they aren't having any 120tb's in.
thank you again for all the responses!
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
You could make a nuisance of yourself to them, seems odd they would decline cover completely for a 135, not like it's worlds apart and you've bought an aston or bentley. Try stating to them it's unacceptable that they're declining cover, seeing that as a new customer they would insure you on that vehicle. You as a risk has not changed, therefore it makes no sense for them to decline cover, you could always chuck in a threat that you're going to the Ombudsman.

good luck with it all
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 06-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo Mito

Thank you for all the information. I have in the last few days been on the phone to the insurance and I must say they do believe they own the world. I've been in customer service for a few years now so saying the right things help and they have now agreed to drop the cancellation charge but I still haave to pay the cancellation admin fee of something stupid like 30 quid. Here is the amusing part though. As this all happened I popped on to confused.com and as you already know aviva can't insure me and now the cheapest insurance quote I've been given is with aviva and 1045 pounds. A bit gutted about losing 10 months of that no claims but hopefully this should be a better way to go! Thanks again everyone!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section

Tags
correct , sir , surely

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page