Insurance companies to recommend/avoid? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Spacecadet

Insurance companies to recommend/avoid?

My insurance has just come up for renewal, and a few questions for my learned friends.

Are Adrian FLux any good, particularly in reference to Red Star as underwriters?

I usually use the larger, more well known companies for insurance, but my current insurer, Admiral are just a laugh. I had an e-mail from them saying that my insurance was soon to expire, so here is your new premium, we'll just take it. I didn't agree to recurrent premiums!

Anyway, after 15 minutes on hold to get their premium rate (0844 - 8p a minute) consultant, they asked why I was going to cancel, and immediately said, we can reduce the premium from the £495 quoted to "what ever you get quoted on our website."
If so, why charge so much for my renewal?

Any rate, that policy will expire mid June, and Adrian Flux quoted £401 with all mods declared.

Is there any reason to pay more for the bigger firms? The next quote is £428 from elephant (which is part of admiral group) then a couple of others around the higher £400s then quickly up to £2000.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Kent
I'm also with Admiral and have had to go through the following farcical procedure 3 years running...

Postal renewal quote pops through the letterbox... ridiculously expensive!
Fire up the PC and hit the price comparison sites...
Enter all of my details and hit the 'get quote' button.
Quote comes back 2 to 3 hundred pounds cheaper than the postal renewal quote!
Generally, the order of the companies offering the cheapest quotes are (cheapest first)... Admiral , then Elephant and finally Bell.
There is usually no more than a couple of pounds difference between all 3 quotes... This, I guess, is because they are ALL PART OF THE SAME COMPANY!
Armed with these on-line quotes (and their reference numbers) I then call the Admiral renewals hotline.
I inform the operator that I'm not happy with the quote they sent me and that I went on-line and found that Admiral (the company I am currently insured with anyway) has quoted me 2 to 3 hundred pounds cheaper than the postal quotation
I'm then told something along the lines of "Oh, that's an introductory price for new customers sir"!
I say " But the quotes from Elephant and Bell are only a couple of pounds dearer and I know for a fact that all 3 companies are part of the same group, this is a bit ridiculous, isn't it?"
The reply is "OK sir we'll match the on-line quote!"
OK, so I've saved somewhere around £250 with one phone call, but it all leaves a bad taste knowing that they were, in effect, trying to rip me off!

"Looking through the knothole in Granny's wooden leg"
AO Silver Member

County: Manchester
I have a more pleasant version of that each year. I just say, 'Hi, notionally I'd like to cancel my renewal, but actually what I want you to do is match this Elephant price', give them the quote reference, and they swap it all over with no pretence of it being difficult.
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
Adrian Flux are easy to deal with, but expect the same rubbish treatment come renewal time. I used Adrian Flux for many years for our cars, but this year I had enough of them trying it on at renewal time and took my business elsewhere - more of a protest than anything. They should reward their loyal customers with fair renewal rates and not try to rip their customers off.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
I feel a bit left out, my insurance fell from £360 to £227 for a renewal! With Adrian Flux, identical policy, details unchanged, no points, claims, accidents etc for years so dunno why.
Spacecadet

Mine fell too, given between me and my good lady wife, we have 4 claims in last 5 years. From £660 last year to £490 this. But again, Flux have pretty much got the lead. I have one cheaper at £390 but with a dodgy looking backstreet brokerage local to me. Unless I come up with something Flux win.

PS, does Alfaowner.com count as an owners club? If it does a little more discount may apply!

AO Gold Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
been with Swiftcover for last 3 years and price is £320 for my 159, 1.9jtdm. went down last year by £25 ish too got wife's car on there too been really fair and well priced .
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

An Alfa

Whatever you do dont go with LV they are terrible when it comes to making a claim!
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I have always had pretty good dealings with Admiral, Elephant etc.. Privilege were also pretty good.

Adrian Flux were fine until I needed to change car mid term and then they charged me a fortune to change.
AO Platinum Member

I use Direct Line and I've been with them a million years since they are inevitably the cheapest company that I've heard of. But I usually have to do the "Renewal Hokey-Kokey"..

It's a bit tedious.. so I've been experimenting over the years.. I worked out that the auto-renewal thing is a BAD IDEA. They send the quote and if you don't notice it or don't have time to shop around (and let's face it, there's less urgency when you know that there is an auto-renew) ...they automatically renew at the higher price.

If you don't have auto-renew, their price is a lot better. The Younger Mrs S. was charged the same premium this year as last year.. so no Hokey-Kokey..

On the other hand, when she phoned up to renew they rambled through the terms and conditions for about 5 minutes and then they tacked on.. ".. and we will automatically renew your cover for you next year. Is that alright?"

The Younger Mrs S. of course answered "Yes"... <Doh!> since what she meant was, yes, she understood everything... *******i subdole!

Anyway.. next year we'll see what the D/Line policy renewal comes in at... but my advice is don't have it..

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Adrian Flux were fine until I needed to change car mid term and then they charged me a fortune to change.
I'm with Adrian Flux with my bike insurance, but that wasn't out of choice!
I heard at the time that Asda insurance were doing quite good deals for motorcyclists, so gave them a try on-line.
I got a pretty competitive quote and it appeared that I would be insured with Bikesure.
It was only when all the paperwork came through, that I could see I was insured through Adrian Flux... From what I remember, there was no reference to them while I was buying the insurance.
I can't comment on what they are like with regards to handling claims, as touch wood, I've not had to make one, but as Symon mentioned, you've really got to watch those extortionate charges!
I've been hit with a couple of pretty hefty charges since being with them... once for updating policy information and again for informing them of a change of bike!
It does feel like they are the Peter Butterworth (Mr Fiddler from Carry on Camping) of the insurance world!
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2L V6

Being an under-30, non-UK citizen, with 1 year no claims, I was being quoted upward of £1,600 by various companies for my V6 GT. This was also high-excess insurance (underwritten by XSDirect), so I would have to pay the first £3,000 of any claim. Lovely.

However, on confused.com they found me ex-pat specific car insurance for £415 TP with Clements. I've never been happier, and can now tolerate those terrible TV ads
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5L V6

Similar to some peeps above, I've got my renewal notice from Admiral and they're proposing a slight increase on last year's premium even though I have an additional year of no-claims bonus.

Went on confused and compare and both came back with echoice as the cheapest quote. They're part of 'More Than', but purely an on-line business.

Saved myself £200.00 and have a smaller excess amount.

Sweet.
CobolMan

Tried loads of online comparison sites when I got my renewal last year and they were all over £150 more expensive and some wanted a £600 excess! I cannot get any cheaper than Privilege, Mrs C has now gone with them and saved over £100 on her Fiesta.

Spacecadet

I went with Adrian Flux in the end, £401 fully comp with all modifications declared. I added roadside recovery for £52 for the year, we shall see if the cover is any good if I need to claim on it.

Spacecadet

And the problems start!
Just read through the documents they sent by Email. Brake upgrade and braided lines to on the paperwork, despite them being read back per purchase.

Also I have to tell them my EXACT mileage on 25th of June, within 14 days. An impossible task as 14 days is 21st June!

Now, as a customer, I have to call an 0844 number, no 0800 anymore.

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
And the problems start!
Just read through the documents they sent by Email. Brake upgrade and braided lines to on the paperwork, despite them being read back per purchase.

Also I have to tell them my EXACT mileage on 25th of June, within 14 days. An impossible task as 14 days is 21st June!

Now, as a customer, I have to call an 0844 number, no 0800 anymore.
... And what's the betting they'll hit you with an additional charge!
AO Member

Ive been through a few with my 159 ti and so far I've found ...

Admiral rip you off at renewals, unless you say elephant gave you a cheaper quote which they'll match as there part of the same group ... But just annoys me they don't offer you there best quote as a loyal customer !

Hastings !!!! Shocking customer service ... After I clipped a Padestrian with my wing mirror cos he was messing about in the road, on police advice to inform them of the incident they opened a claim against me even though no padestrian had come forward to claim, neither did I make one. There allowed to anticipate claims apparently and keep these open for upto a year stripping you of your no claims bonus ect on renewal. But it's ok cos if the Padestrian doesn't come forward all additional premium is refunded lol .... Shouldn't it be WHEN the Padestrian ones forward open a claim ! I'll never return to these, not to mention the underwriters are registered in Gibraltar this creates loopholes with the FSA regs ect. Cowboys !

I'm now with privilege and except quoting me 3500 mid term to add my girlfriend to the policy as a named driver all is ok so far lol

Insurance are a law to themselves ... Can charge what they like cos it's a legal requirement !
AO Member

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Member car:

156 Sportwagon

slightly off topic but to get around premium rate numbers go to:www.saynoto0870.com they list lots of alternative numbers with local area codes. for example Adriun Flux customer services is 01553 845813.

I have had the same experience with the Admiral group, wait for the renewal quote through the post, phone up and complain a bit and get a few hundred quid off. crazy. I guess they just make their money from the more idle among us
CobolMan

Got my renewal today and I'm amazed, it's come down by £95 to just over £350.

Spacecadet

This months Fast Ford magazine has a £50 off voucher for new insurance policies taken out with Adrian Flux between now and 31st July. Could save people a few quid?

SCGT

Love this ....I called Admiral as I had 2 cars on multi car: a punto and a corolla....I wanted to remove the corolla and add my GT. I called after 6pm which means auto transfer to India call centre..........Great ! A Scottish guy speaking to an India guy is like putting salt on a chocolate cake. Transpires I am getting a £119 refund and a recharge of £143.....group 6 to group 11 ...... £24 increase? .........happy bunny is me ......guy on phone thought everything was awesome (think he learned this word from previous call) yes Stuart DOB? awesome , car Alfa GT "awesome" value 4K "awesome" ........you get the drift ............funny but I didn't feel the need to visit confused.com etc .....and the moral of this post is , just keep saying "sorry I don't understand"

County: -

Member car:

nissan subaru

Picking auto insurance may require more than just an understanding of your personal needs. Like other purchases, you also may need to know a few things about the company you’re buying from, such as how long they’ve been in business, how large their organization is and how they’ve been ranked by consumers and pro-consumer organizations.

Last edited by serenahowards; 27-06-12 at 01:15.
AO Member

People, you may want to give a company called 2gether Insurance a try. I have just taken out a policy with them for my new acquisition: 52 plate Spider Lusso 2.0. This is the first policy I have had in my own name, (apart from a couple of scooters a few years back),for 23 years due to the fact that I have had a company vehicle all that time,and I have only gone 1 year or so since I had a minor prang in that.

They managed to give me a fully comp. policy (inc. full breakdown cover and 90 days European cover),mileage of 5k ayear, for a tad over £500. They covered the car on a 'classsic' basis even though its only 10 years old.

I got a quote from Adrian Flux but they wouldn't cover the car on a 'classic' basis, and wanted £1100 to insure me on a normal fully comp. policy.This was way steep also as I had been on one of the comparison websites previously and had got a quote for sub £900.
AO Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

PH1 GTV TS

Adrian Flux have always been great for me
Greenlight are also well recommended,but Merseyside isn't for them sadly

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section

Tags
companies , insurance , recommend or avoid

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page