Temporary insurance - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 04-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Edinburgh
Temporary insurance

My girlfriend's MiTo gets returned later this month as the lease deal has expired however, the insurance runs out tomorrow. Can anyone advise on the best way to get a short term insurance deal for a reasonable price?

So far I've been quoted over 100 for an additional week and 216 for the month. Kinda hard to swallow when the annual renewal comes in at 334.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
I tried getting an extra month on my car which didnt add up as you say. So the options were to take a year insurance and cancel or change new car over which would have been a lottery in terms of what the monthly cost would be.
I opted to be a named driver on my gf's insurance. which on yaris works out as 18 p/m

Would sharing a car be possible? or maybe there is a pay as you drive scheme that would cater for short term. I have seen those types of insurance before but calling insurance company after insurance company gets tiresome very quickly.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Will you be picking up another alfa after the lease?
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Renew for a year then cancel. Just check that you will get a refund if you do so and what it will be.
Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
Renew for a year then cancel. Just check that you will get a refund if you do so and what it will be.
This is an option for short-term cover. Check the T&Cs of the insurer as they normally charge a fee (percentage of policy) to cancel unless you're in the 14 day cooling off period and often an admin fee.
If you do it this way, you should be able to get cheap cover on a limited mileage policy.

Is the Mito being replaced by something else? You can insure as normal and when the new car arrives the insurance can normally be changed over. I've only had one case where it couldn't - Swiftcover couldn't insure me on a Golf VR6 for some reason, but they could on a Volvo T4.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 07-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the responses guys.

We're not changing to a new car immediately or I would just have reinsured and swapped the policy to the new car. My girlfriend's job changed so the MiTo was rarely used. 10k miles in 3 years so someone will get a nice little used car. As her mileage is so low we were considering a 147 GTA. We don't really need a second car unless I'm away with work using mine so it would be a nice weekend car to have.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
I would insure for the year and cancel as said. Whatever you decide, make sure you get cover of some sort. Laying up expensive cars on sorn without any insurance for loss or damage is not advisable.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Admiral charge 35 per month for an extra car, TPFT, with a 24 year old named driver. I've used this for 4 months since Oct, 2 months on a Spider 2.0, 2 months on a Merc 320 CLK. About 65 fully comp and obviously you must have another car insured with them. Aviva were best for very short term like collecting Ebay wins...
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 08-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Got the car insured as an additional car for 14 days through my policy. Worked out at 32 plus admin few upon cancellation so I can live with that.

Thanks again for your responses.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section

Tags
insurance , temporary

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page