More expensive to park in a garage? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 02-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Inverclyde

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

More expensive to park in a garage?

I went on to Admiral just to see how much roughly my insurance would be come March. Price they quoted me was £665 with the car parked over night in my garage. Thought I would see just how much it'd be if parked out on the street and the quote came in at £561.

Folk always say it's cheaper if you garage your car but apparently not. Anyone got any idea why??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakForYou View Post
I went on to Admiral just to see how much roughly my insurance would be come March. Price they quoted me was £665 with the car parked over night in my garage. Thought I would see just how much it'd be if parked out on the street and the quote came in at £561.

Folk always say it's cheaper if you garage your car but apparently not. Anyone got any idea why??
only the insurance people can answer that but logic says the car should be more secure in a garage, have you noticed its also cheeper to do fully comp over third party.
it pays to do a....go compare or money supermarket search as the prices vary by hundreds
i did this and the prices where about the same as last year so i rang my insurance company up and said i have just done a comparison and i can get the insurace for £15 less he did some calculations and when applying there special loyalty discount they could do it for £25 less. i have only been with them for a year.
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
The thinking seems to be that if the car's parked in a garage potential thieves know which house it belongs to so they know where to find the keys; if it's parked in the street they don't immediately know which house it belongs to.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

What Dave Brand says is the answer the insurance companies will give you along with statistically you are more likely to wack your car driving it in and out of the garage! Although you would think that has always been a valid statistic?

Me I reckon more and more people living in new builds where they all have drives and narrow access roads means less people are parking on the road. An obvious loss for the insurance companies.

I should add not all policies work this way. I live in Salford near Manchester and if I told the insurance company my F355 was out on the drive they would die laughing at such a proposal

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

With Malc, Also been told the story about damaging the car while parking it in the garage. stupid, well, mine is on the drive
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
What Dave Brand says is the answer the insurance companies will give you along with statistically you are more likely to wack your car driving it in and out of the garage!
This mainly, especially with fully comp and the price of a body shop these days. Scrape a wing, bash a mirror and it suddenly adds up to a lot
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
This mainly, especially with fully comp and the price of a body shop these days. Scrape a wing, bash a mirror and it suddenly adds up to a lot
Thing is the price of most peoples excess would cost as much as the repair anyway, so why hassle your insurer and ruin your NCB?

But saying that there are a lot of idiots that would crash inside there own garage. I personally liked the challenge of it
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOneSix View Post
But saying that there are a lot of idiots that would crash inside there own garage. I personally liked the challenge of it
Our garage is tighter than a mouses ear when it comes to getting the Spider in
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Mine wasn't much bigger, but I could reverse in skew, have the passenger side about an inch from the wall and the drivers door could almost be fully opened
(Post Link) post #10 of 20 Old 02-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

The only thing I crash into while putting the car in the garage is my poor mother i've pretty much mastered the art of squeezing out of a tight space an the mitos party trick of using the fob to put the windows up or down are a god send.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOneSix View Post
Thing is the price of most peoples excess would cost as much as the repair anyway, so why hassle your insurer and ruin your NCB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
Our garage is tighter than a mouses ear when it comes to getting the Spider in
My first car a MKIII Cortina I had, had it for a few months before I passed my test. I had just replaced the offside front wing and was driving it into my Dad's garage to repair the nearside wing. It has a bit of ramp up into it (I am well aware today as you will read later) and being a novice learner I was not too good on the clutch and took that nearside wing out on the bench vice.

Today the Fezza lives in that same garage (there is a picture on the garage thread). The bench has to be folded down else I would never get in or out of the car. As there is that ramp into the garage the car does not like it at all. It bottoms going in and out if I don't drive it very, very slowly. I do remember clearly how I felt about the MKIII everytime I put the car away today
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

I did stick my late passat into the garage door forgetting that it wasn't the previous golf door bent in half like a taco

little bit pulling and the door was right again, although needed strengthening afterwards as for the passat, not a scratch
AO Platinum Member

I think we're trying to find an excuse. It could just be that insurance companies deliberatel load the "garage" cost since they know that people with garages will select the option, whether they park their car there or not.. beause they think it's cheaper.

Mugged!

Ralf S.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
I think we're trying to find an excuse. It could just be that insurance companies deliberatel load the "garage" cost since they know that people with garages will select the option, whether they park their car there or not.. beause they think it's cheaper.

Mugged!

Ralf S.
Naahh most people fill with rubbish they can't or don't put in the loft
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

What he said
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Every house on my dads street has a garage, my dad is the only one to use it. All the others ave washing machines and shyte in them with cars parked n drives and on the street making it almost impossible to even drve diwn the street, people even park n the turning point as its a cul de sac. *******!!!

Ive been on insurance sites today as my renewal came through at £550 with admiral, had a look on some sites, LVE came out at nearly £800, comparison sites were around £500 but esure came through at £370 + £25 cashback as i did the quote through quidco.

Going to ring admiral tomorrow to see if theyll match, if not they can do one.

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
(Post Link) post #17 of 20 Old 06-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Every house on my dads street has a garage, my dad is the only one to use it. All the others ave washing machines and shyte in them with cars parked n drives and on the street making it almost impossible to even drve diwn the street, people even park n the turning point as its a cul de sac. *******!!!

Ive been on insurance sites today as my renewal came through at £550 with admiral, had a look on some sites, LVE came out at nearly £800, comparison sites were around £500 but esure came through at £370 + £25 cashback as i did the quote through quidco.

Going to ring admiral tomorrow to see if theyll match, if not they can do one.
I hope my renewal is slightly cheaper because I need insurance, tax, tyres and a service within 6 months. Think I'll try esure see what they come out as.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Think the approach I used to use - confused, moneysupermarket etc. - needs supplementing with follow up phone calls where I'm armed with numbers and questions...........and threats. Just like the old days.
AO Platinum Member

Yes.. eSure was the cheapest for me last time out.. but also try Direct Line. My insurance money goes to one or the other each year.. nobody else gets near, for me anyway.

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

County: Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
The thinking seems to be that if the car's parked in a garage potential thieves know which house it belongs to so they know where to find the keys; if it's parked in the street they don't immediately know which house it belongs to.
This, plus I suppose separate garages keep a would-be thief from view, and garages are more likely to catch on fire.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section

Tags
expensive , garage , park

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page