Temporary Insurance - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 12-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Temporary Insurance

Hi - With the lovely insurance people successfully hoodwinking HM Gov into bringing in 'continual' insurance I now can't have an un-insured car... even though it's going to be sitting on my drive well away from the road!

So has anyone had any experience with temporary insurance?

This has occurred as my wife has just bought a new car (Saab 9-3 SW Aero), and simply swapped insurance from her Alfa 147 (on the classifieds) to the new car. In hindsight she should have started a new policy but swapped the NCD, but wasn't aware of the legal change on insurance.

I've done a quick look but it seems as though it'll be as cheap to take a new policy and cancel it as and when the car is sold?

(no comments on a Saab pls! She needed a bigger car and the 9-3 is a v.good car... fricking expensive on the Tax tho! To my eyes it's pos the 2nd best looking SW after the 159... certainly in our price bracket of sub £4k)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePilot View Post
Hi - With the lovely insurance people successfully hoodwinking HM Gov into bringing in 'continual' insurance I now can't have an un-insured car... even though it's going to be sitting on my drive well away from the road!

So has anyone had any experience with temporary insurance?

This has occurred as my wife has just bought a new car (Saab 9-3 SW Aero), and simply swapped insurance from her Alfa 147 (on the classifieds) to the new car. In hindsight she should have started a new policy but swapped the NCD, but wasn't aware of the legal change on insurance.

I've done a quick look but it seems as though it'll be as cheap to take a new policy and cancel it as and when the car is sold?

(no comments on a Saab pls! She needed a bigger car and the 9-3 is a v.good car... fricking expensive on the Tax tho! To my eyes it's pos the 2nd best looking SW after the 159... certainly in our price bracket of sub £4k)
As long as it is sorned you wont have a problem.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 12-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

That's the thing... it won't be SORNed, as we're selling it - easier for the next owner that it's got Tax on it. I did look into a 'laid-up' policy but the ones I looked at require the car to be garaged..... and I'm not turfing the TR out onto the drive!
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Your ins. co. should let you change your insurance to the new car and then keep the old one on the same policy as a 'temporary car' until you sell it. They will charge extra of course but should still be cheaper than taking out a new/separate policy for the old car.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrofoglio View Post
Your ins. co. should let you change your insurance to the new car and then keep the old one on the same policy as a 'temporary car' until you sell it. They will charge extra of course but should still be cheaper than taking out a new/separate policy for the old car.
Mine do this for about £20/week upto a max of four weeks in any one insurance period.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 13-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks - will give them a buzz. I didn't of that... then again I was more concerned with sorting out new car tbh (the missus was a bit excitable).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section

Tags
insurance , temporary

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page