NCD lost if the other party pays? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 22-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Antrim
NCD lost if the other party pays?

My Mito QV has just sustained substantial damage in an 'accident.'

The other driver failed to give way when entering a main road from a minor one and took the side out of mine

Police attended and he admitted fault in writting to them.

I am using ' Alfa Romeo First' claims management for the claim, who are putting in a claim against him, providing repairs and courtesy car.

The big question is will I have to pay in terms of increased premiums or loss of NCD?

As stated he is admitting fault. Appreciate any genuine knowledge on this.

I am insured with AA underwritten by Allianz, fully comp, 5 years NCD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Admin Team

County: -

Member car:

Not a GT

Sorry to hear about your accident.

If it goes through insurance, you'll almost certainly have to pay more in premiums over the next five years as you have to declare to the insurance company any claims, regardless of fault or blame. That indicates to the insurer that you are a higher risk, even though it wasn't your fault. Small comfort in that it won't be as much as if the incident WAS your fault, however.

In theory, you won't lose any of your no claims bonus as it is classed as a non-fault incident but that depends on your insurers T&Cs.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Someone crashed into my parked car 4 years ago and admitted fault. It's made no difference to my premium since and in fact it went down slightly the year after (bizarre). The only thing is it makes it more difficult to shop around as the cheapest insurers won't quote if you have had a recent claim, even if not your fault.
(Post Link) post #4 of 23 Old 22-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks guys. This is melting my brain

I am assuming his company pays as it's his fault, so therfeore I am not making any claims, and retain my ncd? The downside being I was involved in an accident which I have to declare. That the height of it?
Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfast bob View Post
I am assuming his company pays as it's his fault, so therfeore I am not making any claims, and retain my ncd? The downside being I was involved in an accident which I have to declare. That the height of it?
What happens is that your insurance company pay for the repair and then claim the cost back from the other person's insurance - hence a claim has been made. If the full cost is able to be claimed back then your NCD stays intact.
Nev

Unless you have a protected no claims chances are you will lose it no matter who is
to blame:

Car insurance buyers' guide: no claims bonus explained - Confused.com

So if any amount is not claimed back from the 3rd party's insurance
(e.g. your hire car) then your insurance pays and bang goes your no-claims.

Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Unless you have a protected no claims chances are you will lose it no matter who is
to blame:

Car insurance buyers' guide: no claims bonus explained - Confused.com

So if any amount is not claimed back from the 3rd party's insurance
(e.g. your hire car) then your insurance pays and bang goes your no-claims.

Not in all cases though. When my 166 was stolen, the insurance paid out to me and had no-one to claim against, yet because the Police found and prosecuted the thief I didn't lose my no claims although it did go down as an 'at fault' claim against me.
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Is the damage repairable?
(Post Link) post #9 of 23 Old 22-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Damage is basically needing new front Wing and bumper, so it will be fixed.

I am not claiming through my insurance but through 'Alfa Romeo first' so my insurance isn't out a penny unless the other party wont pay up (seems verty unlikely since he has admitted it in writing to police.). It's this company paying for repairs, not my insurer.

Hopefully that means I keep the NCD?

Last edited by belfast bob; 22-09-11 at 19:02.
Admin Team

Member car:

Not a GT

Quote:
I am not claiming through my insurance but through 'Alfa Romeo first' so my insurance isn't out a penny unless the other party wont pay up (seems verty unlikely since he has admitted it in writing to police.). It's this company paying for repairs, not my insurer.

Hopefully that means I keep the NCD?
You are going through your insurance. 'Alfa Romeo First' are a claims management company.
http://callalfaromeofirst.co.uk/faq.pdf
Quote:
Once you Call Alfa Romeo First we will notify your insurer of the accident
Like I said earlier - the only way it won't affect your NCD is if the accident is classed as not your fault and even then it depends on your insurer. Your NCD will almost definitely be affected if your insurer can't claim back all the cost of the claim (including things like hire cars provided by Alfa Romeo First) from the other party's insurance.

Unless your NCD was protected.... ?
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrofoglio View Post
Someone crashed into my parked car 4 years ago and admitted fault. It's made no difference to my premium since and in fact it went down slightly the year after (bizarre). The only thing is it makes it more difficult to shop around as the cheapest insurers won't quote if you have had a recent claim, even if not your fault.
Exactly the same happened to me (someone crashed into my parked car), they admited full liability etc and I didn't loose my LCB ... however when I came to renew my insurance the next year I forgot to add it onto the quotes, when I came to buy the insurance the computer system wouldn't let me buy it because the accident was recorded on one of the insurance databases (fair enough), when I subsequently recorded the no-fault accident (fully settled) my insurance premium went up by £80 ... when I rang them up they explained that because I was involved in an accident statistically I'm a higher risk apparently

Alfa 156 10v 2.4 JTD + AHM fitted Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro Kit Springs,
AHM 200+BHP remap, Q2, 8C Alloys, GTA lights, Leather Interior...

CarPuter Spec: Gigabyte MA785GM Motherboard,2Gb Ram,
AMD Athlon X2 5050e Socket AM2 45W CPU,
K8061 D/A converter, M4 ATX PS, 60Gb SSD, Garmin x20 GPS
AO Gold Member

Someone crashed into my parked car at Tesco's they admitted fault and didn't effect my NCD, i was fully comp with Directline which has automatic renewal, can't see how you can be of a higher risk if you wasn't in the car at the time, thats just B***

I'm starting to wonder if NCD is worth it all, because when shopping for insurance, they tend to ask if you have made a claim within the last 5 / 10 years, you have to say 'yes' and the premium will shoot up, will have to experiment i think :BLINK:

The BORED ©™ No 2
The BORED Collective ©™
'Snokes'
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snokio View Post

I'm starting to wonder if NCD is worth it all, because when shopping for insurance, they tend to ask if you have made a claim within the last 5 / 10 years, you have to say 'yes' and the premium will shoot up, will have to experiment i think :BLINK:
I tried that ... for me the NCD seemed to make about £30 difference ... considering protected NCD costs about £30 ... I can conclude that insurance companies are a right bunch of barstewards
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

156 2.0veloce

Quote:
My Mito QV has just sustained substantial damage in an 'accident.'

The other driver failed to give way when entering a main road from a minor one and took the side out of mine

Police attended and he admitted fault in writting to them.

I am using ' Alfa Romeo First' claims management for the claim, who are putting in a claim against him, providing repairs and courtesy car.

The big question is will I have to pay in terms of increased premiums or loss of NCD?

As stated he is admitting fault. Appreciate any genuine knowledge on this.

I am insured with AA underwritten by Allianz, fully comp, 5 years NCD.
hi mate if the other party has admitted liabilty then you shouldnt loose your NCD...I had accident about 6weeks ago where the driver was cocking about(think he was a bit envious) and slammed on while doing 50+mph on a clear road, i hit the back of him he drove off without exchanging details, i phoned police straight away and he apparently phoned them an hour later make of that what you will, but by the manner of his driving i know he was ****ed...i sat through a 2and a half hour session with the crash investigator yesterday to be told ive not a chance because i hit him even though he drove off...so dont be surprised if your insurance try and pull a fast one because at the end of the day they are only interested in parting you and your hard earned cash..dont let them give you any crap because they will try...

steve
AO Platinum Member

my car got hit 3 years ago - other driver admitted full liability and their insurer coughed up no problem. i didn't lose any NCD but my premiums still rocketed because i'd been involved in an accident, even though it wasn't my fault

i had another one about 8 years ago - a neighbour wrecked the rear corner of my old focus. i dealt independently with his insurers, so didn't involve mine. result? no mention of it on my insurance record so no increase in premiums
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAPULCO AL View Post
my car got hit 3 years ago - other driver admitted full liability and their insurer coughed up no problem. i didn't lose any NCD but my premiums still rocketed because i'd been involved in an accident, even though it wasn't my fault

i had another one about 8 years ago - a neighbour wrecked the rear corner of my old focus. i dealt independently with his insurers, so didn't involve mine. result? no mention of it on my insurance record so no increase in premiums

for the 8 years ago one ... when asked the question "have you had an accident in the last n years" did you lie???
AO Platinum Member

i didn't have an accident - i wasn't in the car at the time
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
They have rephrased it now. 'Have you made any claims in the last however many years'

Sneaky fcukers
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
As far as i understand, you can claim against the other party for any rise in premium over the 5 yr period as a direct result of the accident. Im currently about to take a driver to high court over an accident in Dec 2009 and my lawyer has advised me to include insurance rise premiums over the period so far and 30% for the next two years as this is an expense incurred by myself through this non-fault accident.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
As far as i understand, you can claim against the other party for any rise in premium over the 5 yr period as a direct result of the accident. Im currently about to take a driver to high court over an accident in Dec 2009 and my lawyer has advised me to include insurance rise premiums over the period so far and 30% for the next two years as this is an expense incurred by myself through this non-fault accident.

You can only do this before you've recieved "full and final settlement"
AO Silver Member

County: Denbighshire

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
Whilst true you can claim for any increase in premium incurred before settlement, its normally refunded by your own insurer when it gets recalculated if you are successful on liability. You need to be able to quantify it to win so the past loss, easy, the future rise is almost impossible to calculate as you may use a different insurer, their underwriters may use different criteria, different car etc etc, a judge will look at it, laugh and tell you to get out on the future premium rise claim, if it is struck out you are liable for the othersides costs ind defending it, the only time future loss claims succeed is in CAT claims and commercial contract/profit claims as it can be quantified.

Which solicitors are you using if you don't mind me asking? I would like to know how they can justify as 30% increase in premiums without full information and underwriting criteria, sounds like a classic ambulance chaser "extra" to increase value of a claim and claim costs on at the end. If you are going to court purely on that claim I hope they have explained the costs consequences to you if you lose, good luck.
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
They are appointed by my insurer Admiral and are a well known Oxford Ambulance Chaser outfit. I have attempted to appoint my own legal representation as i end up speaking to my own solicitor every time this crowd contact me. Im not impressed with them thus far, i am meeting the Barrister this week as 'Pleadings' has now ceased and its onto the final stage.
AO Silver Member

County: Denbighshire

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
They are appointed by my insurer Admiral and are a well known Oxford Ambulance Chaser outfit. I have attempted to appoint my own legal representation as i end up speaking to my own solicitor every time this crowd contact me. Im not impressed with them thus far, i am meeting the Barrister this week as 'Pleadings' has now ceased and its onto the final stage.
Admiral usually send people to Leech and Co in Manchester or Newlaw with Albany Assistance dealing with the hire and ULR aspects. You will probably be dealing with a paralegal who has been in the job for 2 minutes as is usual with claimant firms, its unfair to their clients and unfair to the employees as they don't train them, just give them a script, it makes the profession look bad.

You can get your own solicitor to take it on if you aren't happy, perfectly within your right to do that.

How much is the claim worth if you don't mind me asking? Having a conference with counsel is only needed on very complex and high value matters, it is probably part of the claimant kabal of taking counsel's opinions on minor matters to keep the work going, I spy a bill being scrutinised at the costs stage!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section

Tags
lost , ncd , party , pays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page