Alfa 156 Steering Wheel Audio Control - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 22-04-16 Thread Starter

County: -

Member car:

156 facelift

Alfa 156 Steering Wheel Audio Control

Hi guys,

I previously owned a 156 facelift 2.0 then I changed to a 156 facelift 2.5 v6,

the original stereo of the 2.5 is this
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/attac...635434&thumb=1

and the original stereo of the 2.0 is this
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/attac...635442&thumb=1

I swap them over but then the stereo button on the steering wheel does not work,
both steering wheels are identical with the audio buttons, b4 the swap they both work fine,
both cars have the Green ISO for steering wheel control,
but the 2.0 has C9 C10 C11 C12 wires, the 2.5 only has C11 and C12 wires,
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/attac...635426&thumb=1

do any of you have any clues how to fix it?? or i need to buy some sort of adapter??

Many Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asd.jpg (33.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 06122008065.jpg (70.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg alfa156highcd.jpg (22.3 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

The wiring in cars with the phone (ie: your new V6) have a different wiring setup compared with non-phone cars. So it would explain why it's not working.

Even an aftermarket steering wheel control interface won't help.

In the non-phone cars, you can see in the schematic there are RC-A and RC-B steering wheel control wires in the green mini-ISO plug (in addition to a ground wire).

It's different in your V6. Also note that the main power wire, Ub, and switched ignition wire may be in the opposite positions.

I don't recall anyone readily overcoming the issue, or at least not without research and a bit of hassle. There is apparently an additional 'red' interface behind the dash (near your L knee apparently) which converts the 'normal' wiring and signals into 'phone' signals. You either need to remove this, and/or replace it with a normal version.

HERE: found the link: https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-a...ml#post3794262

Hope that helps.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg alfa_156_facelift_wiring.jpg (180.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg alfa_156_nav_2.jpg (134.8 KB, 9 views)

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 22-05-16 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny_car View Post
The wiring in cars with the phone (ie: your new V6) have a different wiring setup compared with non-phone cars. So it would explain why it's not working.

Even an aftermarket steering wheel control interface won't help.

In the non-phone cars, you can see in the schematic there are RC-A and RC-B steering wheel control wires in the green mini-ISO plug (in addition to a ground wire).

It's different in your V6. Also note that the main power wire, Ub, and switched ignition wire may be in the opposite positions.

I don't recall anyone readily overcoming the issue, or at least not without research and a bit of hassle. There is apparently an additional 'red' interface behind the dash (near your L knee apparently) which converts the 'normal' wiring and signals into 'phone' signals. You either need to remove this, and/or replace it with a normal version.

HERE: found the link: https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-a...ml#post3794262

Hope that helps.

hi there,

thank you very much for the help, but i ended up buying a new stereo,

the Sony MEX-XB100BT, it runs smoothly and the sound with the original bose speakers is amazing,

now back to the same question haha, is it possible to make the steering wheel control to work with the new stereo??

the sony has the REMOTE IN input for steering wheel control (the one in blue)

cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81GpO6yAYoL._SL1500_.jpg (70.5 KB, 8 views)
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Yes, use the Connect2 CTSAR001.2 interface with the CTSONYLEAD patch lead, and it will work.

You will need to ensure the Alfa's main power wire (Ub) lines up with the yellow wire feeding to the interface, and Alfa's ignition wire goes to the red wire to the interface. This will be self-evident when you go to hook it up.

(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 26-05-16 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny_car View Post
Yes, use the Connect2 CTSAR001.2 interface with the CTSONYLEAD patch lead, and it will work.

You will need to ensure the Alfa's main power wire (Ub) lines up with the yellow wire feeding to the interface, and Alfa's ignition wire goes to the red wire to the interface. This will be self-evident when you go to hook it up.

thank you very much =]

I will get one from ebay and see if I can install it

Cheers
(Post Link) post #6 of 10 Old 03-06-16 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 facelift

hello

I plug in all the wires but it doesnt work T_T

any ideas??

thanks a lot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_5254`.jpg (48.6 KB, 23 views)
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Ensure the Alfa Ub ('constant' main power wire) lines up with the yellow wire to the CTSAR001.2.

There may be no ignition wire in the Alfa plug. In which case, you will need to connect the red wire from the CTSAR001.2 to a suitable 'switched' power wire, like the cigarette lighter power wire. This way, when you turn the ignition on, it triggers the CTSAR and radio on.

Use a multimeter to confirm the Ub wire (always +12V, thereabouts, regardless of ignition key position). And that the cig wire provides a switched supply (0V with key OFF, +12V with key ON). There might be an ignition wire in the Alfa plug, so you can also use the multimeter to check.

It would be helpful to see if there is a sticker on the original radio, similar to the photos I posted earlier. What does it look like?

(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 06-06-16 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 facelift

It is same as the one u posted earlier

which one is the UB wire?? I hv no ideas on 0 knowledge on electronics wiring

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_5272_副本.jpg (140.3 KB, 10 views)
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Locate the Ub wire in the ALFA plug. This is the main power supply wire, so it provides a 'constant' +12V, always live. Ensure this ends up feeding to the YELLOW wire going into the CTSAR001. If it starts out red, then swap it over to yellow using the bullet terminals partway along.

Love the 'SWITCH' wire in the ALFA plug; the diagram looks like a switch symbol with a '+'. This is 0V when ignition is off, then switches to +12V when on. Ensure this feeds to the RED wire going into the CTSAR001. You probably need to swap it with the yellow wire.

If it still doesn't work then: you've done it wrong or you've blown a fuse or something is faulty.

If you genuinely have zero knowledge or skill with this (no big deal, most people are like this ) then I strongly suggest paying to have it professionally fitted. People sometimes don't realise they simply can't do some jobs and need it pro-installed; not everyone is a plumber or electrician or lawyer or hairdresser...

Hello everyone!
I've got similar issue with steering wheel audio control buttons.
I've purchased CTSAR001.2 with patch lead for my Alpine head unit.
I've connected everything according the instruction, but it won't work as it should be: only MUTE function works via MUTE and SOURCE buttons.
I've contacted Connects2 technical support and they told me that there is no support for NAVI head units.
I guess the problem is in wiring for steering buttons. Anybody have any experience what wires missing or should be replaced?

UPDATE: I've found the solution here: https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-...ml#post3794262 (Alfa 156 2004 Steering wheel controls)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small2.JPG (76.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg small1.JPG (149.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by leoner; 15-09-19 at 19:54. Reason: solved

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > ICE & Blue&Me

Tags
156 , alfa , audio , control , steering , wheel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page