SORN/Laid Up Insurance, any recommendations? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

(Post Link) post #1 of 29 Old 15-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: North Yorkshire
SORN/Laid Up Insurance, any recommendations?

The insurance for my car runs out today and Ive already SORN'd it a few months ago so I need to arrange SORN or Laid-up insurance.

Anyone got any recommendations of companies who'll do me a decent price for this?

Also, any idea how much, roughly, I'll be paying?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

I have my F355 SORN'd but just leave the policy running. Have thought many times about a 'laid up' policy but then would need to get just a six months classic policy for Summer use. I suppose you can just cancel but as I pay up front am not sure if I would get anything back. Some companies even make a daft charge (a very popular broker does apparently, no name given).
Performance Direct Insurance - Insurance Terms - Laid Up Policies
(Post Link) post #3 of 29 Old 15-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
I have my F355 SORN'd but just leave the policy running. Have thought many times about a 'laid up' policy but then would need to get just a six months classic policy for Summer use. I suppose you can just cancel but as I pay up front am not sure if I would get anything back. Some companies even make a daft charge (a very popular broker does apparently, no name given).
Performance Direct Insurance - Insurance Terms - Laid Up Policies
Hi Malc, thanks for your reply, my insurance runs out today anyway which is why im thinking I need the laid-up. Cheers for the link, ill give them a whirl
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon View Post
Hi Malc, thanks for your reply, my insurance runs out today anyway which is why im thinking I need the laid-up. Cheers for the link, ill give them a whirl
Let me know if you get anywhere with this. I am keen to perhaps do the same.
(Post Link) post #5 of 29 Old 15-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Let me know if you get anywhere with this. I am keen to perhaps do the same.
just been quoted £129 for 12 months and £118 6 months. First quote ive had.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
How many cars do you have to cover? Admiral were not too bad on their multicar, especially when you get up to 3 as, with only 2 drivers, the third car they are covering is clearly not being used.
(Post Link) post #7 of 29 Old 15-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
How many cars do you have to cover? Admiral were not too bad on their multicar, especially when you get up to 3 as, with only 2 drivers, the third car they are covering is clearly not being used.
Hi K, just the GTA which runs out today and may be off the road till spring or even the following spring.
AO Platinum Member

Sorry mate, multicar will be no good then.
(Post Link) post #9 of 29 Old 15-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Ended up going getting it for £101 from adrianflux. Not ideal, but at least im legal.

Quote:
Sorry mate, multicar will be no good then.
AO Platinum Member

Having to insure your car when you are not even using it is a right con. It was costing me £30 a month to keep the 156 saloon on the policy while I tried to sell her.

It also makes it quite difficult buying private second hand, pre-insuring a car before you go to buy restricts your haggle-room!
(Post Link) post #11 of 29 Old 15-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Having to insure your car when you are not even using it is a right con. It was costing me £30 a month to keep the 156 saloon on the policy while I tried to sell her.

It also makes it quite difficult buying private second hand, pre-insuring a car before you go to buy restricts your haggle-room!
I agree, its a massive con and im now 100 quid down at crimbo

I never thought of the buying used scenario but youre right, jipped all round!!

AO Silver Member

County: Durham
Quote:

does it have to be insured if it is SORN on private land???
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC View Post
Nope, there is no requirement to insure a SORN'd car. It only has to be insured if it is taxed (whether it is on private land or not).
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Nope, there is no requirement to insure a SORN'd car. It only has to be insured if it is taxed (whether it is on private land or not).
I think it is stupid.

Those that want to park their car on their drive with no insurance for a couple of days have to declare the car SORN, where as those that drive with no insurance can still get away with it it, providing the car has been declared as SORN.
(Post Link) post #15 of 29 Old 15-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Right then, I actually think im losing my marbles...seriously!

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this...

For some reason I have been under the impression in the last month or 2 that the rules had changed at the DVLA (or wherever) and youre car had to have insurance no matter what the circumstances.
I dont know why I was under this impression though , maybe I heard it on the radio or seen it on the news or something and went away and remembered it

So, since then, Ive been conscious that when my insurance ran out today, I needed to arrange 'laid-up' insurance which ive just shelled out £101 for.

Then, Ive just read PANIC's post (below) and it got me questioning if what I thought was actually even true....... and.... I now think Ive been playing tricks on myself, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC View Post
This is what I thought... but now ive done a bit of googling... I think that what I thought was a load of brollocks.

I read this page... Stay insured: new penalties for vehicles without motor insurance : Directgov - Motoring

and it clearly states that if the car is SORN'd (which mine is) then you dont need laid-up insurance.

Im fairly certain ill be ringing adrianflux up in the morning to get my god damn £101 back and hope they dont take an admin fee off me.

What a wolly!
(Post Link) post #16 of 29 Old 15-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Sorry Pud and Symon, I was still writing when u posted.

Quote:
Yes, this I have now realised Christ knows how I came up with the laid-up thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
I think it is stupid.

Those that want to park their car on their drive with no insurance for a couple of days have to declare the car SORN, where as those that drive with no insurance can still get away with it it, providing the car has been declared as SORN.
I dont know whats right and what isnt at the mo Sy
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon View Post
Im fairly certain ill be ringing adrianflux up in the morning to get my god damn £101 back and hope they dont take an admin fee off me.

What a wolly!
And there was me thinking you were just insuring it cause you were worried about fire/theft/damage!

If they're going to land you with a big admin fee then it may be an idea just to keep it insured, its less than 9 quid a month, you'd be gutted if it was nicked or the garage was burnt down.
AO Platinum Member

laid up insurance still doesn't cover for third party damage (caused whilst driving etc)so it wouldn't be legal to have it on your car unless it was SORN'ed anyway.

You can't have your car taxed and on laid up insurance, so having it is a waste of time unless you are worried about your car being stolen or catching fire on the drive.
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Really? I found admiral multi-car to be awful. Not only did they give me a quote a third as much again than the best quote elsewhere on the new car, the insurance of the car that I already had insured with them went up!
(Post Link) post #20 of 29 Old 15-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
And there was me thinking you were just insuring it cause you were worried about fire/theft/damage!

If they're going to land you with a big admin fee then it may be an idea just to keep it insured, its less than 9 quid a month, you'd be gutted if it was nicked or the garage was burnt down.
No unfortunately im not that sensible Pud.

Thing is, i paid it all at once and idrather have the dosh at this time of year for the pub.

Quote:
laid up insurance still doesn't cover for third party damage (caused whilst driving etc)so it wouldn't be legal to have it on your car unless it was SORN'ed anyway.

You can't have your car taxed and on laid up insurance, so having it is a waste of time unless you are worried about your car being stolen or catching fire on the drive.
My car is SORN'd and yes, it is a waste of time which is why I want my dosh back
AO Platinum Member

Good luck getting your money back from AF though. I think you may have a 14 day "Cooling off period", but I am not 100% sure.
Club Member
Membro Premio

You do have a 14 day cooling off period but they can still charge an admin fee, been there done that with AF.
(Post Link) post #23 of 29 Old 15-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Good luck getting your money back from AF though. I think you may have a 14 day "Cooling off period", but I am not 100% sure.
Quote:
You do have a 14 day cooling off period but they can still charge an admin fee, been there done that with AF.
Yes, the 14 day thing rings a bell. Ill give 'em a ding in the morning to get me beer money back.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Doh, to the SORN'd thing bacon. I was only suggesting it because I thought you were concerned about having it nicked. I am not ever going to subject my beautiful F355 to this crap weather full of snow, rain and salt and thought a laid up policy might save me a few quid but I doubt it will. I nearly bought my daughter's old Mazda 121 so I wunt have to use the GT in the salt!

Admiral multicar might be worth a look for me, I have the Spider, GT and the above. They all add up to about £1200/year currently for insurance (I must be ****ing mad). I had heard Admiral don't do category repaired cars which my GT is?

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
(Post Link) post #25 of 29 Old 16-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Doh, to the SORN'd thing bacon. I was only suggesting it because I thought you were concerned about having it nicked. I am not ever going to subject my beautiful F355 to this crap weather full of snow, rain and salt and thought a laid up policy might save me a few quid but I doubt it will. I nearly bought my daughter's old Mazda 121 so I wunt have to use the GT in the salt!

Admiral multicar might be worth a look for me, I have the Spider, GT and the above. They all add up to about £1200/year currently for insurance (I must be ****ing mad). I had heard Admiral don't do category repaired cars which my GT is?
I would be thinking the same thing with regards to your 355. I do quite like the idea of it being insured while its tucked away but... im a bit skint this crimbo and could really do with the dosh.

I rang 'em up earlier to cancel and its cost me £40 for the privilage. Never mind, you live and learn.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
insurance , recommendations , sorn or laid

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page