Penetrating Fluid - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ralf S.

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter
TME
AO Member

County: Kent
Penetrating Fluid

Have been working on my own cars for years, mainly Rover's, Alfa Romeo's and Lancia's. There's one thing though that tends to puzzle me sometimes, and how people rave about it so much, and that's the subject of penetrating fluid. Plus Gas, WD40, Triflow, P Blaster - there's loads of them. I understand the principle of how it works, but what are peoples thoughts on it?

As an example, the rear shock bolts (long) on the Alfa Romeo 156 - probably an extreme example as these are know to be problematic anyway, although my choice of penetrating fluid - P-Blaster or Plus Gas, didn't touch them. Another example from the other day, whilst changing brake hoses on the 156 - the 11mm unions became stuck on the copper brake line. Bring out the Plus Gas, soak them overnight, still completely seized in the morning. Obviously these are quite delicate, so instead of messing about trying to tighten then loosen like I normally do, applied a little heat - no problems undoing them. Trailing arm bolt, no luck with the Plus Gas again, a little heat and out they come.

Obviously there are many scenarios where heat cannot be used to unseize fixings, which is ideally where penetrating fluid takes over - but has anyone really had an success with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 8 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

I've heard some people mention the need for penetrating oil. Not a penetrating fluid like WD-40. I have yet to use a penetrating oil.

I use fluids similar to WD-40. At work they can be useful working on small items with seized bolts. Usually I need a lot of heat to weaken the thread locks and glues that are used on some items I deal with.

At home I tend to use them to remove annoying squeaks from door hinges, or free up window hinges on aluminium joinery.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Plusgas smells so utterly awful that it must be doing something. I think if you have two lumps of metal that are rusted into a solid lump, probably only heat will work. If they just need a bit of encouragement, it can't do any harm.
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

^
This. When I worked on my cars I used penetrating oil on stubborn nuts and bolts. It worked often enough to be worth trying.
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Iíve used them all.

I use WD 40 and soak item days before I intend to work on them. I also used Plusgas in another life.

I use more often than not a mixture of ATF and Acetone. Iíve not done scientific studies and every stud and nut are different, but itís one of my options.

WD40 is sprayed on anything that stays still long enough on our cars.
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 4 Days Ago
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside
I use wd40, itís always on the shops shelves.
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 3 Days Ago
AO Platinum Member

I'm with TME. I think these things are just a fiendish industry placebo to fool the gullible and the desperate!

You *think* (or hope) that they are doing something... but whenever I have finally managed to break the stiction on a reluctant nut, bolt or screw, I can never see any evidence that the penetrant has got anywhere near the sticking/rusted faces. I use Plusgas, WD40, Halfords' Shock-Unlock and their Penetrating spray.. but none is any better or worse than the other, since none of them apparently actually do anything.

They do have their uses though, since they encourage you that surely *soon* the offending seized items will separate... and once the thread is apart, a bit of the lube does tend to make it easier to unscrew the remains... a bit like your mate offering to buy a round just after you just bought one..

Ralf S.
TME likes this.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 17 Hours Ago
AO Member

County: The Kent/Sussex \hinterland
Garage

Member car:

Mito

Mouse milk for the win

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
fluid , penetrating

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page