Car insurance question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Car insurance question

Not sure if this in the correct section, but mods please move if deemed necessary. It will certainly be read more there though.

Here goes.

The insurance policy on my 335i BMW runs out on October the 1st.

I am planning on selling the car this Saturday (14th). The question is do I let the insurance just run out or cancel it and pay an admin fee.

Normally this would be pretty straightforward to answer, but I already have another car here to replace it. I don't want to be switching the insurance over and paying an admin fee and extra for just 2 weeks of cover.

Would I get away with starting a new policy on the replacement car on the 14th and still be able to use my no claims discount to cover it? As it technically it is still being used on the first car. If I cannot use the NCD it would be cheaper to cancel and pay the admin fee, but then I might loose a years NCD. (this might actually work out better though as my previous insurer gave 10 years NCD where as this one only gives 9...)

This sort of thing can get pretty complicated and I hope the question sort of makes sense.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Difficult one.

I believe you definitely can't use the NCD on the new car before the insurance has lapsed on the old one.

But whether it's better to cancel, or to switch the policy to the new car is very hard to say. Do your insurer definitely charge an admin fee in all cases? They all say that they might, but some are better than others in this regard.
Cancellation for instance might not cost you anything (apart from the fact that you've already paid for the two weeks), assuming that you don't have any outstanding monthly payments before the end of the policy.

To be honest, your best bet might be to ring them and ask them what's the cheapest approach.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I think you are right Bazza, I will give them a call once the existing car is sold.
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

I've done this many times with my insurer and there has not been an admin fee. One of the reasons I keep insuring through them.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Platinum Member

You need to ask the insurer but if you move the insurance to the new car on 14th then the insurer may charge you a bit extra if the new car is in a higher group, or they might waive any fee if it's in a lower group. I wouldn't cancel the old policy - you won't get anything back at all.

I think these days of multi-car policies, you don't have to be so squeamish about starting a new policy. The idea was that insurers wanted to know if you had any claims or not. In the old days, your dad and grandad only had one car, so it was a no-brainer that there was only one policy at a time.. but these days we have multi-car households and insurers have rushed to extort a few extra quid from you by saying you can't have "no claims" on more than one car policy at a time.

In my view, you either have claims or you don't... so when they ask "have you got any claims" and you reply "no" then you ought to get the NCD discount, whether you have another policy or not.

You can check their small print in the contract if you want to be sure you're not falling foul of their terms, since it's a business contract at the end of the day but why give that company your business? The more we resist their cobblers, the less they can bend us over, unless of course you like that sort of thing..

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 1 Day Ago

County: -
Few days ago I found the power steering of my 164 had a major leak and, as I poured fluid in the reservoir, it came out from the side of the steering box. I used 5 bottles of fluid and just waisted it. Been told it needs to be reconditioned and is very expensive. I think I understood how it works and I could do the job myself. At my age is not easy working under the car,but I love challenges. If I can disconnect the bolt between the steering box and the steering column, without removing the steering columns, the steering box can easily be removed. When something does not work, I try to find a solution and usually I am successful. I filled up the reservoir with transmission fluid 80-90, the leak stopped and the power steering is working perfectly. The pump makes a bit of noise when I start it in the morning, but it disappears in about 10 seconds. I know this is not solving the leak, but the car is drivable. Can't find posts re power steering. Can anybody help please? Thank you.

------------
new nissan kicks
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 15 Hours Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertTaylor View Post
Few days ago I found the power steering of my 164 had a major leak and, as I poured fluid in the reservoir, it came out from the side of the steering box. I used 5 bottles of fluid and just waisted it. Been told it needs to be reconditioned and is very expensive. I think I understood how it works and I could do the job myself. At my age is not easy working under the car,but I love challenges. If I can disconnect the bolt between the steering box and the steering column, without removing the steering columns, the steering box can easily be removed. When something does not work, I try to find a solution and usually I am successful. I filled up the reservoir with transmission fluid 80-90, the leak stopped and the power steering is working perfectly. The pump makes a bit of noise when I start it in the morning, but it disappears in about 10 seconds. I know this is not solving the leak, but the car is drivable. Can't find posts re power steering. Can anybody help please? Thank you.

------------
new nissan kicks
I would try posting in the 164 lounge.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
car , insurance , question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page