Can you love a car you lease? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

6Likes
  • 1 Post By Sterzo
  • 2 Post By jparkin486
  • 1 Post By keithyboy
  • 1 Post By cue2
  • 1 Post By Ralf S.

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
I know it’s a bit cringe to talk about loving a car, but let’s go with the flow for a sec. Many of you are handy with a spanner, which is useful if you’re running an older car and can keep the running costs down by doing some jobs yourselves. And doing those jobs may make you a bit closer to that car, enjoying not just driving it, but maintaining it, too, or dealing with a complex dealer network, or the quirks of a bunch of cranky independents. For good or bad, all these experiences kinda add to the fun/calamity of running a car.

Some of you maybe in the position to buy and own a new car outright, and with your wedge sunk into it, you’re going to look after it.

Maybe you have been in one or both of those scenarios, so now we come to PCP.

So as not to be fleeced when the PCP ends, you’re duty bound to look after it (duress?). And while you may well love it for how it drives, is it even worth loving it if you know you’re handing back the keys after 36months? Not much will go wrong with it and even if it does, the dealer will fix it. You have no need to look under the bonnet, worry what that odd clunking noise is or make the realisation that the parts for your car are most likely to be sourced from the scrap yard, rather than a dealer.

So can you bond with or - cringe - love a PCP car?

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 16 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Giulia Speciale

I may be way off beam here but do you not think PCP is for people with a particular life-style? They just want to fork out £xyz every month, not have any of the pitfalls of owning a car and get an "up with the proles" new car every three years. I've never had a PCP car so no experience and feel free to shoot me down. I've had a few long-term rentals over the years but never felt anything like a bond with them. So, I guess my answer is no.
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Yep, agree. It’s a different dynamic for sure. Just wondering what PCP could mean for car culture (sorry, cringe again, but you know what I mean) given it is growing in popularity.
(Post Link) post #4 of 16 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
I know it’s a bit cringe to talk about loving a car...
Bruno Spengler loves his BMW, and he doesn't even lease it let alone own it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spengler.jpg (10.8 KB, 2 views)
MalcQV likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire - Darn Sarf!
Garage
My last 6 cars have been leased including the 2 Giuliettas. I treat them like they are mine.

Within some boundaries I choose what I want and the cars I get are cars I would have owned with my own money.

I have a mini for fiddling about with.

Most of my friends know I like cars and know I look after my cars regardless of whether they are dealer maintained. They get washed every couple of weeks and vacuumed regularly. Stone chips, car park scratches are greeted with anger and annoyance.

J
Ralf S. and MalcQV like this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Limburg
What J says - in essence.

We've 'always' had two cars - 'always' being the last 20-odd years. We are living in a small village with little or no local facilities or shops and with very limited public transport; family lives all over Europe and cycling to work is not an option. Hence: two cars.

One is the lease car that comes with my job (not that I actually need it other than for getting to the office, I just got 'lucky' 20 years ago and did some proper salary and emoluments negotiation), the other one is - well - the other one.
'The other one' has been the Spider for the last 5 years, mainly little Lancia's before then. All second hand.
My lease cars have been whatever was in the company garage at the time I came up for renewal (Audi A4, Ford Mondeo twice, Volvo V40 - all of these were run by other drivers before me - and it showed, most of the time. I ran these to the end of the lease term, then got to pick something else within reason).
Whenever there was nothing in the garage, I got to choose a car of my own. I had an 156 sportswagon (that we loved ), a GT (that we loved ) and a MiTo (that we loved ). We have had a Merc CLA for the last year and a half.

We decide on the basis of necessity, distance that needs covering, mood and weather who takes which car on any given day. The company car is obviously the cheapest to run as it comes with 'free' fuel. The Spider makes the nicer sound - and (duh) the top comes off.

We love it.
We take care of our cars, regardless of the true owner (us or the lease company).
It's like kids: different but equally loved.

Your mileage may vary.

*..._______
*./________\
./OO__V__OO\
|=_-_____-_=|

It is far easier to come to a compromise than it is to dispose of a body
B'dum tsch ®
(Post Link) post #7 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Interesting - actually, encouraging - replies and views. Thanks, chaps 🙂
(Post Link) post #8 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Bought the BM last year, just coming up to 12 months ownership and it has had front a rear pads & discs done as well as a full service, MoT and a knackered chip of some sort or other replaced. Cost about a grand which sounds horrific. If I was leasing something with 240hp I reckon I would be putting down £2k+ and paying £150 every month as a minimum. No car at the end of 3 years.

I am not at all precious about the Bimmer, it rarely gets washed or ‘treated’. If it was a PCP or lease then I would be worried about every scratch, scrape and scrawp. I see how much people get bent over for when returning cars on lease and it’s not pretty. There are, of course, guidelines but companies frequently try to bend the rules in their favour. So could I ‘love’ a lease?

Never.

No 2 on the Git list

Are you folding?

(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
“reckon I would be putting down £2k+ and paying £150 every month as a minimum. No car at the end of 3 years.”

What can you get for £150 a month?
Certainly not 240hp.
AO Platinum Member

I got my stelvio on a pcp but here’s a random business lease deal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 232F576E-1647-41F9-AF49-5720B6C5DB22.jpg (80.6 KB, 9 views)
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I think it depends. If it gets you driving something you really want, then almost certainly yes, you can. If you just want a car without the grief of actually owning it and maintaining it, almost certainly not. Similarly, if you lease the current school run favourite (T-Rocs are replacing the Quashqai round here), I expect you'll love it until something else becomes the thing to have, at which point you'll moan about the time left on your lease.
jparkin486 likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

I have a Mercedes CLA poverty on PCP. It's not funded by my company in any way at all. I bought it because I liked it.
I look after it as my own and if I was totally dull then in another three years I could buy it but I won't unless there is some benefit in it (I might sell for more than Mercedes will give me for it for example). After four years of ownership I'll be well and truly bored ****less of it so I will want to change it.

Not sure if I will 'buy' or lease another new car yet. After a year in I love the fact that it doesn't break and if it does I can mostly likely forget about it. I have driven 5+ to as much as 15 years old daily's that are great when they are running but I've less time to be fixing that broken strut or whatever on a Sunday night for Monday morning.

I got around that by having two old heaps. However I fell foul of both being in a state of repair before now.

I have had Rovers on lease for a period of two and a half years previously through the Rover Company lease scheme (I worked for Warwick University some years back). I loved that as I had a brand new Rover every 6/7 months (five in total, I did extremely high mileage in them)) so it was never dull. I could not even keep up with that on my old clunkers

I'm even considering a Model 3 next Next time perhaps 'nearly new' with warranty left on it and initial depreciation out of the first owner's pocket.

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Silver Member

County: Herts
Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

A PCP car would be no good to me whatsoever, probably about 40-50% of my enjoyment when I own a car comes from maintaining / modifying it, and modding a PCP car is a definite no-no.

But I can see the attraction for the average Joe who just wants to drive a car from A-B without putting too much thought into it, and I can definitely see the attraction for more exotic models - no need to worry about sourcing expensive parts, no need to worry about it being off the road for extended periods if something complex / expensive fails, and no need to worry about the inevitable near-vertical depreciation graph (somehow PCP positively affects depreciation but I don't understand how really). As for loving them, depends on the car concerned. I can't really see anyone developing a strong bond with a Ford Fusion diesel, but the whole owning / driving experience for exotics may actually be improved by PCP.

In fact the Giulia / Stelvio are almost tailor-made for PCP...
AO Platinum Member

“somehow PCP positively affects depreciation but I don't understand how really”

The three year deal on lease and PCP has a positive effect by keeping the car off the used car market for the term and keeps them in the brand system once they come back, in most cases. Used values benefit from the supply control while the model is being monitored for residuals. A friend who bought a nearly new BMW and sold it early found his Autotrader customer was a BMW main dealer who said they have a fund to get underpriced cars out of the market and back to their dealers.
mj2k likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Herts
Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
“somehow PCP positively affects depreciation but I don't understand how really”

The three year deal on lease and PCP has a positive effect by keeping the car off the used car market for the term and keeps them in the brand system once they come back, in most cases. Used values benefit from the supply control while the model is being monitored for residuals. A friend who bought a nearly new BMW and sold it early found his Autotrader customer was a BMW main dealer who said they have a fund to get underpriced cars out of the market and back to their dealers.

Thanks! Wow, that's quite a sneaky system, but given BMW's past sneakiness in various things that doesn't surprise me somehow...
AO Platinum Member

If I got to choose it, then even it's not mine (if it's on lease) I would still feel like it only existed because I ordered it, so it'd be difficult for me not to care about it, or what happens to it.

Ralf S.
jparkin486 likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
car , lease , love

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page