Banning hands free phones in cars. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By symon
  • 1 Post By Verbout
  • 1 Post By bazza
  • 1 Post By mas430

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Banning hands free phones in cars.

Don’t think we discussed this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49320473

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Not sure how they are going to police this when they cannot even catch people holding phones up to their ears in full view.

Also can we ban carrying children in cars? They are far more distracting.
Top Down likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Can we ban:
Buttons, knobs, levers etc, very distracting, especially knobs.
MalcQV likes this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Also ban any touchscreen devices - including built in - since they by definition require you to take your attention away from the road.

I see the justification, but I don't think it's doable. There are several million cars on the road which have the ability built in - along with dozens of other elements which potentially distract just as much.
Top Down likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Get the point that modern life is hemmed in by rules, and here are more. Banning the ability to say “I’ll be 10 minutes late” does seem a bit nanny state.

However, today I heard it seriously suggested that hands free made it ok to drive while talking things through with a mentor. Sounded to me a sure recipe for inattention blindness, with all it’s consequences.
(Post Link) post #6 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

I did post in the Giulia forum regarding this. It was about CarPlay/Android Auto and them being a distraction with icons to touch on a screen.

My Merc has a myriad of buttons on the centre console to do stuff. Pretty much like icons on a screen. Ban these too.
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

Signs Shouting out cheap petrol should be banned as they always distract me...
MalcQV likes this.
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
I did post in the Giulia forum regarding this. It was about CarPlay/Android Auto and them being a distraction with icons to touch on a screen.

My Merc has a myriad of buttons on the centre console to do stuff. Pretty much like icons on a screen. Ban these too.
I don't think it's the same. You have touch feedback. It's much easier to locate a button without looking away from the road than it is to locate an icon on a screen.
For much that reason, if I need to re-navigate while driving, I will almost always use the built in satnav in my car rather than the Tomtom, even if I have the latter set-up and running.*

*The reason I have both is because the maps on the Tomtom are more up to date, and it has live traffic.
(Post Link) post #9 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
I don't think it's the same. You have touch feedback. It's much easier to locate a button without looking away from the road than it is to locate an icon on a screen.
For much that reason, if I need to re-navigate while driving, I will almost always use the built in satnav in my car rather than the Tomtom, even if I have the latter set-up and running.*

*The reason I have both is because the maps on the Tomtom are more up to date, and it has live traffic.
Errmm kind of. However on my car at least all the buttons feel exactly the same and as they are so close together and combined with my short sight with specs on I have to glance at the area of buttons.
(Post Link) post #10 of 10 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
If I have understood/remembered the research correctly, many studies over the last 20 or so years into driving while using the phone, boil down to this:

When you’re driving, you use the X bit of your brain.

When you’re driving and chatting to a passenger or listening to a radio, you use the X bit for driving and the Y bit for other chatting/listening tasks (names made up, but you get the picture; you call on a different brain resource for the different tasks)

When you drive and use the phone - be it a handset, hands free or in built; it doesn’t matter which - the phone bit is also drawing on your X bit that’s normally used for driving. So you’re compromising the resource used for driving while gassing on the phone.

I know that the worst thing in the world is to go onto the internet and say ‘a study said...’ then not show the study, but this was essentially the gist of it. Worth thinking about and discussing anyway. : )

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
banning , cars , free , hands , phones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page