With autumn looming... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

5Likes
  • 4 Post By keithyboy
  • 1 Post By MalcQV

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
With autumn looming...

Tomorrow will be 1 Sept. To me, this means autumn is coming already (seems strange. To me it feels like we’re still waiting for May to arrive.)

What do you need to do to prep your car for autumn... or *cough* the winter to follow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

My preparation for winter involves discussing internally on a daily basis whether I should get a set of alloys with winter tyres. I continue this until I suddenly realise that it's spring again and I've missed the boat.

That is pretty much the only thing I do, apart from maybe increasing the strength of my wiper fluid dilution.
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Wiper wise, I’ve got quite a shaft to lube. Once presented in its most upright and erect position,... no, no, no.

I can’t carry on with that ’fnar fnar’ stuff. I mean I could, but I won’t 🙂 because if I did, i’d have to talk about uncapping it, and squirting lube on it so it can keep pushing easily into the upper extremities that other shafts can’t reach.

And to do that would be terribly, terribly crude.

So I won’t. 🙂
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
My preparation for winter involves discussing internally on a daily basis whether I should get a set of alloys with winter tyres. I continue this until I suddenly realise that it's spring again and I've missed the boat.

That is pretty much the only thing I do, apart from maybe increasing the strength of my wiper fluid dilution.
Exactly the same here, but the realisation that I've actually missed the boat again, is the day we wake up to snow.

In fact, I'm going to research costs of winter tyres right now for the disco (again) in the lame hope a set of alloys, suitably shod in top quality winter rubber is for sale within 5 minutes of my house for a bargain price.
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: -
This year, i have still to DIY "wire brush' like @#$% all the surface rust underneath and coat/seal with something appropriate to ward off the grit salt crap of winter. I promised myself I'd get it done in plenty of time but likewise, I cant believe its 1st Sept already!!
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

In preparation for winter my wife plans to replace her 4x4 with a Fiat 500.
alfabeat, MalcQV, TonyGr and 1 others like this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

My trusty Z3 (summer daily/fun car) will retire to a car cover the end of October at which point my other daily (a newer Merc) will be my winter car.

The Z3 is desperately in need of paint correction and a couple here will have heard me say so. I have bought compounds and pads for my cheapo DA and will have a go at destroying the bonnet.
Poorboys SSR3, SSR2 and black 'ole, some of which the very talented Mr KB suggested.

I also have semi synthetic oil, filter, air filter and plugs to go in/on it. Waiting for a filter case removal thingy I stupidly (by mistake) ordered off the bay of E from bloomin China.

I also purchased a new Alpine (to me) CD/MP3/iPod player doins because the existing Kenwood loves to power off as soon as I touch it. Sensitive little ******* it is.

Plan is to do all this over the next couple of months if the China post ever arrives. Whilst replacing the CD I will add some light to the heater controls. Now it is dark in the mornings I can't see what speed the fan is until it is too late. £11 for a tiny bulb :-(

Oh and I have some coolant and sealer to add. I replaced a viscous fan coupling a few weeks ago to stop it overheating. It would get right 'ot and become a volcano of water and steam.
It has a stupid designed reservoir pushed on [tightly] to the radiator and is under some pressure. Despite it also being replaced this year it still leaks a bit, then when hot a lot.

A few weeks back on a hot day I stopped near Worsley Woods (no matter) and she (the missus) got worried thinking I wanted some exterior fun. No, the car had once again dumped all of its water (I gave up on coolant it was too expensive to fill every day). On releasing the bleed valve there was still pressure and it fell onto the lower engine cover never to be seen again.
Fortunately one of those druggie NOX canister things they get high and die on, was lying around and with the bonnet closed it sealed that vent. There is a slight inverted dent on the bonnet now but it looks good against the cracked and dull paint.

Last and not least I fitted the cat back exhaust I bought cheap on.. yes you guessed it, eBay months back because the existing (original) one was full of holes and very rusty. It sounds lovely at tickover but I am a proper chav when at speed now.
alfabeat likes this.

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.

Last edited by MalcQV; 1 Week Ago at 12:25.
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: Cornwall

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

I have a second set of wheels fitted with winter tyres for our Volvo V60 daily hack & they'll go on the car as soon as the weather gets cold enough. Only other precaution really is increase the strength of the washer fluid.
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Winter? I put the heater on.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
autumn , looming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page