What does a deficit of 100hp+ feel and look like on the road? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

4Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
What does a deficit of 100hp+ feel and look like on the road?

Well, I was driving and was set upon by a fiesta ST(18 plate) and a Golf Gti(19 plate).

Very long, straight section of an A road. I had no expectations, only curiosity. 6000 rpm in 3rd and then in 4th with foot planted.
You know roughly where the speedo is by that.

The GTI came by as if I was going backwards lolololol. Must have been doing 25mph more than me, in that moment alone!

The fiesta was in front anyway before this happened (very smoothly creating space between us) and was VERY quickly caught by the golf.

Where's a 3.2 Busso when you need one 🤔........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 7 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Do you mean you accelerated as the Golf overtook you to turn it into a race?
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Do you mean you accelerated as the Golf overtook you to turn it into a race?
No no....there was never going to be "a race" was there..lololo
There was another random car in the way which we all overtook. I just went as quick as I could overtaking the random. I then became the "random" for the golf!
cue2 likes this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
There was another random car in the way which we all overtook. I just went as quick as I could overtaking the random. I then became the "random" for the golf!
The Ford and Volkswagen have had long gestation periods, where hundreds of millions have been spent on their development.

The Busso had 29 years where relatively nothing was spent - a testament to a brilliant design. But the GTA’s were a marketing ploy. A poor one at that. But for the Busso, they are very ordinary.

Now a Bertie, of which Giuseppe can also claim credit. And an Alfetta GTV6 or a 75, they are far from ordinary.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizewell View Post
Quote:
The Ford and Volkswagen have had long gestation periods, where hundreds of millions have been spent on their development.

The Busso had 29 years where relatively nothing was spent - a testament to a brilliant design. But the GTA’s were a marketing ploy. A poor one at that. But for the Busso, they are very ordinary.

Now a Bertie, of which Giuseppe can also claim credit. And an Alfetta GTV6 or a 75, they are far from ordinary.
I don't have enough knowledge to discuss this tbh. It's the busso under the bonnet that I'd be interested in mostly. Not that I'm a boy racer but in this instance, it would have been nice to have something that would have wiped the smile of mr Volkswagen's face.
Never have and I'll prob never get a chance to drive a 75 v6. I imagine it would be pretty awesome.
I also imagine but wait to be corrected, that it would be lighter than the golf being that it's an older car with less "stuff" in it....so would have held it's own in performance as well as looking the dogs cahoonas
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
I don't have enough knowledge to discuss this tbh. It's the busso under the bonnet that I'd be interested in mostly. Not that I'm a boy racer but in this instance, it would have been nice to have something that would have wiped the smile of mr Volkswagen's face.
Never have and I'll prob never get a chance to drive a 75 v6. I imagine it would be pretty awesome.
I also imagine but wait to be corrected, that it would be lighter than the golf being that it's an older car with less "stuff" in it....so would have held it's own in performance as well as looking the dogs cahoonas
The Busso is a fantastic engine, but unless fitted to a light car or it has been heavily tweaked I think it would struggle to keep up with most modern fast hatches.

Just enjoy the noise whilst going a bit slower.
sizewell, MalcQV and duemila like this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Quote:
The Busso is a fantastic engine, but unless fitted to a light car or it has been heavily tweaked I think it would struggle to keep up with most modern fast hatches.

Just enjoy the noise whilst going a bit slower.
Really? I realise we're talking old vrs new and a few horses may have bolted from the stable over the years but, on paper at least, both cars as standard have almost identical power output and 0-60 /0-100 figures.

On a twisty road you'd prob have to concede to the modern hatches but on the road we were on I don't think the golf would have got past and the fiesta would likely have been fodder

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
100hp , deficit , feel , road

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page