Heel and toe; do autos "do it"? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Scudetto

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Kent
Heel and toe; do autos "do it"?

I kinda knew what H&T was but never understood why until I watched this a few times

Well explained and I finally get it.

I wondered if this technique was engineered into modern autos/flappies?

Mindful of the fact I've only ever driven manuels, oops, manuals I did some research on the obvious...
"Cars with automatic transmission do not have a clutch"
"there are several clutches in almost every automatic gearbox"
Both cited on the same page by different opinionists.

My Dad told me when I was a kid H&T was a way of "braking and using the clutch at the same time". So in my 20's with my first car I used my left foot to "brake and use the clutch at the same time" with an eager right foot. The clutch needed more travel than my little toe could manage. My direction of travel before was different to my direction of travel after, and I've never tried it since

Last edited by NuovaApe; 1 Week Ago at 23:14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

A full automatic will, in theory, change down (and up) at optimum revs. As there's a fluid drive (torque converter) between the engine and gearbox rather than a clutch, any jolt is usually dampened out.

For flappy paddles, it depends if they are controlling an automatic box or a manual with lots of electronics and servos and whatnot. My (limited) experience of the latter is that the electronics sort it out for you.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

In sportier modes and manual, my car blips the throttle for you on downchanges. I really don't think it does so to match revs though, it's purely to make a nice noise.

In sport + the downchanges are quite brutal, it does them early to high revs in the lower gear and you can feel the additional braking effect thwoing you forward in your seat, so it's definitely not matching revs for a smooth transition then!
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 6 Days Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
It’s been years since I did any heel & toe, which is a loss as it was one of the few things I was any good at. Like your cash point PIN, it’s one of the few things you can’t describe; you do it by pattern.

I’m pretty sure I did it with my right foot kinda diagonal across the brake and accelerator; top half of the foot (toes) for braking, bottom half (heel) for rev matching on down changing. I have a feeling that goes against the ‘expert’ view of how to do it, but it felt more comfortable to me and the result was the same.

The purpose is that you make braking and down changing smoother, so - theoretically - you’re not upsetting the balance of the car as much by doing these things in one smooth go. I guess that matters at speed, but there’s no reason why you can’t do it while pottering about, too. Some suggest that rev matching while down changing can improve clutch life. Not sure how much though, but I got 110,000 miles out of a hard driven Golf’s clutch. Which is more than I got out of its shock absorbers 🙂
Hobson284 likes this.

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 6 Days Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
In Manual mode my DCT gearbox BMW blips the throttle on downchanges.

It is entertaining, but just not as satifying as doing it yourself.
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Kent
I'm humbly honoured by the insights from you Platinum badged AO dudes.

The question came about after reading "death of the manual gearbox" or suchlike.

It made me ponder the things I've done, like selecting 2nd to go up an icy hill. 1st was just too spinny. 2nd didn't work either so I brilliantly did a reverse J turn (read accidentally, panicking, sliding backwards, handbrake turn with steering wheel on full inner lock so I didn't hit cars parked both sides of road...it kinda felt natural and cool when it worked) then reversed up icy hill with engine weight on back wheels. I was Torville and Dean in a 147:-)
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 6 Days Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Worcestershire
I do it constantly, to the point that I'll get in something that isn't my Spider, instinctively try to heel & toe and **** it up because pedals are too close/far apart/travels are different/it's a diesel etc. Having snappy throttle response in the Spider helps, and the relatively short throttle pedal travel (Ph1 cable throttle TS) means you don't have to twist your ankle too much to get the Rev match about right. I used to roll the right foot half across the brake and half the throttle to do it, bit having small feet this didn't work very well without getting your foot stuck between pedals! I now use Scudetto's method, and have done for years, and it's now just a normal part of driving. Makes it feel more like a sports car to me personally. Sorry for my egregious self-absorbed post on the matter!
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 6 Days Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Worcestershire
Also, it reduces clutch wear as you're not slipping the clutch plates as much to match the revs from engine to gearbox.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
autos , do it , heel , toe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page