Bayonet bulb won’t budge - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 06-07-19 Thread Starter

County: Surrey
Last October, a front sidelight bulb stopped working. No problem. Popped to Halfords, and swapped out the blown one with a new one. Simple slide in, twist, job jobbed.

Now, that bulb had blown again. No problem. Except there is. Do you think I can shift the bulb? I should be able to push it down and twist to release it; which I can. Except it won’t release because - somehow - while one of the bulb’s two ‘prongs’ lines up correctly with the exit/entrance groove on the light socket, the other prong no longer does.

This is baffling me. The bulb went in perfectly easily when I fitted it - no force was needed (and I’d have been worried at the time if any was); it simply slotted in just fine.

To remove it, my thoughts are - grind down the prong that’s not lining up with the groove on the socket. This has considerable potential for calamity, though.

The other thought is to wrap the bulb in a rag and shatter the glass, then get some pliers and gently squeeze in a bit the metal base of the bulb, thus taking away the tension from the prong that’s causing the problem, so it clears the groove it’s currently not slotting into. I’m not ruling that out from having considerable potential for calamity, either.

So... what would you do to fix this? And how do you think this has happened?

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.

Last edited by Scudetto; 06-07-19 at 18:32.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

It's not a dual filament in place of a single is it? The pins are different.

Break the glass, grab with pliers.
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 06-07-19 Thread Starter

I don’t think so, Keithyboy. I’m usually pretty attentive to these things but as you asked, I will double check. If it was a twin fill, with different lugs, would it not have been as difficult to slot in as it’s proving to remove? Anyway, I think breaking the bulb and using pliers to remove it maybe the best path here 🙂 how annoying that something so simple can be such a kerfuffle.

MOT’s not due until Nov, so while I have ample time to fix this... I don’t like things that are not working properly 🙂

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Further pause for thought might be why has it blown so quickly? Is there an underlying problem relating to the present lack of fit?

I had a problem with a bulb in the house which blew a fuse as it failed, was a pliers job to remove and when the replacement was fitted immediately blew the fuse again. Turned out that the little lump of solder on the side of the base had dropped off and was shorting the contacts as well as jamming the bayonet from being removed. I should explain that this was a wall light with the bulb facing upwards so the solder dropped into the holder.

Procrastination is the thief of time
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post

Break the glass, grab with pliers.

This is the way, I've done it a few times.

County: -Netherlands

Member car:

159-2.2JTS

Back in the days we used a pièce of a potato after breaking the glas, sounds rediculous but it worked.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #7 of 11 Old 07-07-19 Thread Starter

Hey Tony,

Good question. In my hands for the last 7.5 years, the car doesn’t have a history of blowing bulbs, so it is odd that this one didn’t last. Rubbish quality bulb? Maybe. I drive with the sidelights on pretty much all of the time during the day; many of the roads here have trees that have grown in such a way that they block out the light. You can be driving on a perfectly clear day, turn a corner, and you’re suddenly plunged into complete darkness. Cars get lost in the shadows, so I err on the side of caution lights-wise.
(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 07-07-19 Thread Starter

Hi Marty!

Talk me through the potato bit, please. I’m curious to hear its role 🙂
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 14-09-19 Thread Starter

Forgot to update this. Fixed 🙂 old bulb out.

Weirdly, the new bulb slotted in - and out - like a charm. Stupidly, I didn’t check the old bulb to see if there were any anomalies on its case before I binned it. Think I was too happy to get it out. D’oh.

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Strange isn't it, cars and their bulbs?

Our old Vectra used to blow brake light bulbs regularly. We found out the aluminium tracks in the light cluster used to oxidize and needed cleaning regularly.

Mrs. V's SEAT Mii regularly blows it's front daylight running bulbs. I've noticed other Mii and it's variants, the VW Up and the Skoda Citigo all have the same issue, I see lots of them with blown DR lights.
(Post Link) post #11 of 11 Old 14-09-19 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
Strange isn't it, cars and their bulbs?

Our old Vectra used to blow brake light bulbs regularly. We found out the aluminium tracks in the light cluster used to oxidize and needed cleaning regularly.

Mrs. V's SEAT Mii regularly blows it's front daylight running bulbs. I've noticed other Mii and it's variants, the VW Up and the Skoda Citigo all have the same issue, I see lots of them with blown DR lights.
That is such a good observation.

On a similar line, do you notice when newish cars start to have the same problems when they’re a few years old? You remember the 2007-ish space ship Civic? After three years, you’d see them with a seriously messed up bulb failing third brake warning light strip (and we could start a new thread about how cheap that third brake warning light looked - like a toy light from Tandy)

Or, the Fiat 500 - again, after three years, they’d be driving around with just one DR on.

Guess they should be applauded for their consistency : )

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
bayonet , budge , bulb , won’t

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page