Supercars with 1000hp plus - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

6Likes
  • 2 Post By keithyboy
  • 3 Post By bazza
  • 1 Post By Scudetto

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
At the danger of contradicting my other thread about the demise of ICE cars, I want to chat about 1000hp supercars. Is there - somewhere - a tipping point whereby the relevance of their huge hp becomes redundant because of its ridiculousness?

I’m not saying small brain stuff like ‘why make a car with 1000hp when the speed limit is only 70mph’, nor am I denying the engineering excellence needed to design and develop an engine capable of such and output; but when hp levels get that extreme, are they, ironically, difficult to care about rather than be impressed by?

Bugatti launches 1000hp
Audi launches 1200hp
Ferrari launches 1500hp

You’re kinda into the zone of extreme silliness and ‘so whatery’. Until such a time that my brilliance is recognised, it’s unlikely that I’ll be able to buy a 1,000hp car; and even if I had the means to do so, I just know I’d rather have that little Alpine in a heartbeat over a 1,000hp car. So Ferrari - never mind about mega hp. Try making a pretty car, instead 👍

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

In this month's Motor Sport, Andrew Frankel (who tests all kinds of exotica) pursues a similar theme. "Bragging rights should go to the lightest car, not the most powerful," he suggests.
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Anything much over 150bhp is a waste on today's crowded and pothole ridden roads.

Yes totally poinless willy waving, but if you have that sort of money to splash on a car I am sure that you could afford a few track days so that you could actually use it to it's potential.
(Post Link) post #4 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: -
Its a fair point. Does seem a bit pointless and more about "how much can we get out of this" rather than whats reasnoble.

Even on a track, you'd realistically need to have or be taught, some real skills to get anywhere near the potential of one of these things.

Ive always had a fancy for wee, light cars with inappropriate engines and that could go round corners really quickly. Like when i was in my 30's there was a guy on eBay selling a mini(Austin) that had a 1.8vtech honda in it. Or an Aygo Crazy......
Or an old lotus single seater track car with 1.6 crossflow that weighed as much as a tin of tuna. Stuff like that is more appealing(to me).
Maybe its because all the cars ive mentioned are within my reach.....i dont know.
I do know that only about 0.5%of the population can afford the supercars in question....remove from that the number the people that will expire themselves or the car(most likely both) and you're left with a very small customer base.

So yeah...very much "check out my big willie" syndrome!
(Post Link) post #5 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I can't see why anyone would want any more than about 457bhp. It'd just be pointless.
(Post Link) post #6 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Fife
Garage
Given the number of Giulia QVs ending up backwards in a hedge, I'd say you're spot on here. Even 500hp is a bit ridiculous in a road-going car, and constantly pushing the figure upwards seems a bit baffling as we approach the dying days of the internal combustion engine anyway. Build in lightness, that's the way to go.

Likewise any car that costs more than a five bed terrace house in a good London suburb seems a bit pointless. I can appreciate the engineering and craftsmanship that goes into these things, but they're not even aspirational.

Just the two Alfas now...
(Post Link) post #7 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

I think the answer is a car that weighs about 750kg (or less) and has around 175-200bhp.

It would be fun at legal speeds, corner brilliantly and wouldn't be too heavy on fuel.
(Post Link) post #8 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Anything much over 150bhp is a waste on today's crowded and pothole ridden roads.
Gotta disagree as I’m used to about 250 and that gives me enough oomph to get past the slipper-wearing mumble-wits native to Shropshire safely. Especially as they clump together (is the collective noun for 40mph potterers a ‘clot’?) on the road, panic-stricken at the concept of ‘overtaking’, and form knots of 3 and 4 cars concertinaed together that you have to take in one go.

(Post Link) post #9 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
Gotta disagree as I’m used to about 250 and that gives me enough oomph to get past the slipper-wearing mumble-wits native to Shropshire safely. Especially as they clump together (is the collective noun for 40mph potterers a ‘clot’?) on the road, panic-stricken at the concept of ‘overtaking’, and form knots of 3 and 4 cars concertinaed together that you have to take in one go.

It depends on the cars weight though, or more correctly power to weight ratio.

My Beemer is 306bhp, but weighs 1800Kg, sure it is pretty quick but my old Renaultsport Clio cup had a similar power to weight ratio, and at anything up to very illegal speeds was probably just as fast in a straight line (And miles better on the corners)

A car weighing 750kg and with 175 bhp will have no issues with rapid overtaking of slow arses.
(Post Link) post #10 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Totally with you on power-to-weight.

Just can’t get away with back-to-front hat hooligan machines with Mrs Pat
(Post Link) post #11 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Given that it took me 50 minutes to travel 9 miles at teatime, I think a 2CV probably has enough poke for my needs.
Dave Brand and symon like this.
(Post Link) post #12 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

FML, you’ll be looking at ‘mobility solutions’ next
(Post Link) post #13 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I work from home and live in leafy Cheshire. If and when I want to drive, I can usually avoid it being in heavy traffic, so I do still get to enjoy my driving.

I'd suggest that all you people in the smog-ridden overcrowded South* come and give it a try, but on second thoughts you can stay down there and keep the roads up here clearer.

*Yeah, I know kb is in the north. But he's in a city, and I think I've already expounded my theory that all cities are enclaves of the South in essence. It's a philosophical thing.
osney, symon and Sterzo like this.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
(Post Link) post #14 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
I guess my point wasn’t so much that 1,000hp cars could be considered an irrelevance on the road, but that once you’re up to 1,000hp it’s such a ridiculous amount that boasts of 1,300hp becomes a bit meaningless because you’re way beyond a tipping point.

You’re almost into the zone of puerile, like kids playing about who can come up with the biggest number - ‘a squillion billion million’; ‘no, two squillion billion million’ - and you just stop listening 🙂
Dave Brand likes this.
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
I guess my point wasn’t so much that 1,000hp cars could be considered an irrelevance on the road, but that once you’re up to 1,000hp it’s such a ridiculous amount that boasts of 1,300hp becomes a bit meaningless because you’re way beyond a tipping point.

You’re almost into the zone of puerile, like kids playing about who can come up with the biggest number - ‘a squillion billion million’; ‘no, two squillion billion million’ - and you just stop listening 🙂
I think we all agreed with...though we babbled on a bit. The general feeling i got certainly was that the 1000hp mark you set is probably in itself quite high and that about 400-500 per tonne is more than ample.
I do appreciate very much the engineering feat behind these cars. But it is just that..a feat and as u say, a little purile

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
1000hp , supercars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page