Not the normal tyre thread. Low profiles - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By TonyGr
  • 1 Post By Sterzo
  • 1 Post By TonyGr

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Not the normal tyre thread. Low profiles

Is it me or are very low profile tyres more hassle than they are worth?

Sure they look good, but due to the awful state of the roads I find myself stressed whilst driving and often going slower than I should be due to worries about buckling or cracking the wheels.

Then there is the ride quality, there is simply no tyre to absorb any more than the smallest of bump.

Going from my BMW with 255/30 19 and 225/35 19 tyres to the Mrs Alfa which runs on 225/45 17 all round is a revelation in terms of ride quality and a stress free drive.

My old Ford Focus with 205 55 16's was better again, it would simply go over moderate bumps without a modicum of fuss.

Is the ever low profile tyre trend something which should be reversed? IMO it is. Things have gone too far at least in the UK.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170), BMW 335i Cabrio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Short answer... Yes, however, I don't notice a huge amount of difference going from my V70 with 15" wheels (can't remember tyre size, but pretty big sidewalls) to my 159 with 19" wheels and obscure tyre size, not as low profile as yours, but still.

I travel a mixture of town driving, fast a road and bumpy country lanes on my commute, and the roads are a mix of well maintained and potholed to hell.

Are you running runflats on the beemer? Never had any sustained experience of them, but drove a Cooper S some time back and it was pretty uncomfortable, have heard others state the same.

My boss has a recent TT and he's also complained about his tyres, its running on 20" rims and they're like rubber bands.

Posting from my phone - excuse spelling mistakes
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Garage
Definitely, Iíve always thought that generation of 3 series has particularly low profile tyres, at least on the 19s. As mentioned the run flats your car is also no doubt equipped with wonít help things either. I know many people would prefer to ditch them and take the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #4 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Donít forget the low profile gives you more weight in the bigger wheels. And the extra metal is further from the hub so takes more energy to get the wheel/tyre rolling. Iím quite happy with the 19s on my Stelvio as they are less stressful Kerbing-wise.
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I have already replaced the tyres with non runflats.

The runflats weigh considerably more, I think the rears were around 15kg where as non runflat Falkens were around 11kg.

The ride has improved a lot since fitting normal tyres as has the handling. With the runflats it was like driving on tyres filled with concrete. Just no give in them at all. You can still feel the bumps with the normal tyres, but the sharp edges seem rounded off in comparison.

In anywhere but pothole ridden UK I bet the low profile non runflat tyres would give an acceptable ride...

I was very tempted to go down to 18" wheels and fit higher profile tyres, but I am not really in love with the car in general and will probably end up selling before too long.

But pretty much all cars these days have stupidly low profile tyres, so chances are it's replacement will have similar issues.
(Post Link) post #6 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
My Giulietta came on 205/55 R16 but it is the Lusso and I find they absorb the bumps and holes acceptably. Having read so much about low profiles (to their detriment) I never felt the need to change wheel size. Added bonus is the Conti PremiumContacts seem to be good for at least 25,000 miles on the front and 35,000 on the rear which is much better than any previous car I have had.
symon likes this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

My old 156 on 15" wheels had a lovely ride. My Saab on sports suspension with 17"s and 45 profile tyres is absolutely dreadful, my daughter's old Fiesta rides better.

On twisty roads when you're in the mood it's great but as that's basically never, I'd prefer something a bit more compliant.
(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Is it me or are very low profile tyres more hassle than they are worth?
Yes. Completely impractical.
symon likes this.
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
My old 156 on 15" wheels had a lovely ride. My Saab on sports suspension with 17"s and 45 profile tyres is absolutely dreadful, my daughter's old Fiesta rides better.

On twisty roads when you're in the mood it's great but as that's basically never, I'd prefer something a bit more compliant.
Agreed. My g Sportiva with the 18" was really awesome in a dry(decent road)..with a mildly modded suspension too.
But over bumps...my god! It crashed and banged and bumped about like a go kart!
Im certain 16" with a decent sidewall would have been much more comfortable.
(Post Link) post #10 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
I fail to understand why the advocates of low profile tyres say they fill the arches better. Agreed there is lots of alloy and very little rubber to be seen but the overall diameter of wheel plus tyre is exactly the same so how is it filling the arch better?
symon likes this.
(Post Link) post #11 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: -
I've just stuck with 16s. Yes, a little less dry cornering grip and less precise but they are more consistent and exploitable in the wet and ride is better.

If runflats are specced, why not use normal tyres and get a motorcycle puncture repair kit?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
low , normal , profiles , thread , tyre

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page