Talk me out of a 04 Quattroporte - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

27Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Talk me out of a 04 Quattroporte

Ive been following the prices on these cars for some time, and I have found one being specialed from a dealer at 10K under its list price.
The weekly payments would be so little its a joke, the car has done 95 kms, japanese import and described as pristine in all areas, plus is available with a mechanical warranty
I manage all work on my Alfa 166 FL, which ill be keeping, and I dont see much more complication in looking after a Qporte.

Thoughts please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qporte.jpg (61.0 KB, 44 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

That looks lovely, I've been keeping an eye on these too, but haven't bit the bullet.

Whilst I don't think that the car will be any more complicated, the main thing putting me off is the cost and availability of parts, something which is also an issue on my 159, handily the spares and used parts market is alright on an Alfa, I can't see it being the same for a Maser.
(Post Link) post #3 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

parts availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfalconer View Post
That looks lovely, I've been keeping an eye on these too, but haven't bit the bullet.

Whilst I don't think that the car will be any more complicated, the main thing putting me off is the cost and availability of parts, something which is also an issue on my 159, handily the spares and used parts market is alright on an Alfa, I can't see it being the same for a Maser.

I know what you mean, but parts for a last of the line 166 are nearly impossible, no one in NZ is wrecking them, however several Masers are being wrecked at the moment
(Post Link) post #4 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

I guess so, I hadn't picked up you're in NZ, the 'Kiwi' is a bit of a giveaway, 166's are a bit more plentiful in my part of the world.

I'm of the opinion that life is too short to deny yourself, and I'm a heart over head guy when it comes to cars.

If its not great, you can always sell it on!
(Post Link) post #5 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

I was just about to say "go for it"...then I clicked on the pic....white with the black wheels didn't do it for me....but then that's just me.
(Post Link) post #6 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Absolutely no way I can talk you out of that. I really like those. The styling is nice with a bit of quirkiness and they sound great. It's a Maserati.
(Post Link) post #7 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Herts
Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

'Tis a good looking car, but my old Legacy (Liberty?) twinturbo made mincemeat of Quattroportes performance-wise for a fraction of the cost. A Quattroporte S driver and I were desperately trying to get away from a dangerous "let's swing from lane to lane to undertake everything without checking my mirrors" Transit driver and we both floored the accelerator; up until 80ish mph when I took the foot off the accelerator we were neck and neck, and that's despite me having a full sized xmas tree, 2 bags of concrete and a week's shopping in the back. And round the twisties, when I was following a Maser I had to keep putting my foot on the brake, though that was probably as much down to the Quattroporte driver's lack of confidence as the heaviness of the car. He disappeared once I finally got past him on a straight.

Maser definitely has the Subaru on looks though, and definitely has more bragging rights

Edit: I guess there's one other advantage the Legacy would have over the Maser too, depending on what part of NZ you live in - the Subaru's pretty good in the snow thanks to it's utility-based 4x4.

Last edited by mj2k; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:31.
(Post Link) post #8 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Who cares how fast it is? You buy it for the look and for the sound. I'd still want one if it did 0-60 in 12 seconds and couldn't go round corners.
alfabeat and duemila like this.
(Post Link) post #9 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Who cares how fast it is? You buy it for the look and for the sound. I'd still want one if it did 0-60 in 12 seconds and couldn't go round corners.
That sounds like the perfect description of a Ferrari 400i

Depends what you want it for I guess, personally if I only had space for 2 cars and already had a much loved Alfa in the garage (there will be a 116 series of some sort in mine eventually) I'd find giving the 2nd space to a Maserati a bit silly when there are other cheaper cars with better performance and more practicality out there, esp as the Maserati will perform pretty much the same function as a 3.0 / 3.2 166 (i.e. luxury grand tourer with a nice sounding engine). OTOH if the OP's 166 is plenty practical enough to be used as a daily, or there's loads of space on the driveway for 3+ cars, then why not get the Maser? As long as it doesn't come at the expense of the 166.

I know it's a bit tenuous seeing as the OP isn't choosing one or the other, but if I was given the choice between a 3.2 facelift 166 and a Quattrporte on roughly the same mileage / condition, if there was £1k price difference between them (quite possible) I'd keep the extra thousand and go for the 166. Maybe it's because I still remember the comedy value of a 15 year old Biturbo being worth less than it's clock (I kid you not!), maybe it's because I've seen too many underperforming Quattroportes so they seem a bit 'meh' to me, or maybe it's because I've got a soft spot for the Busso but that's the way I'd go... And if I was given the choice between a Legacy GTB plus a pre-facelift 3.0 166 for the same price as a Quattroporte, you wouldn't see me for dust

Last edited by mj2k; 2 Weeks Ago at 23:47.
(Post Link) post #10 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
I was just about to say "go for it"...then I clicked on the pic....white with the black wheels didn't do it for me....but then that's just me.
I agree, thats why I was wondering about a metallic black wrap, to change the colour and protect the original paint.
(Post Link) post #11 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2k View Post
'Tis a good looking car, but my old Legacy (Liberty?) twinturbo made mincemeat of Quattroportes performance-wise for a fraction of the cost. A Quattroporte S driver and I were desperately trying to get away from a dangerous "let's swing from lane to lane to undertake everything without checking my mirrors" Transit driver and we both floored the accelerator; up until 80ish mph when I took the foot off the accelerator we were neck and neck, and that's despite me having a full sized xmas tree, 2 bags of concrete and a week's shopping in the back. And round the twisties, when I was following a Maser I had to keep putting my foot on the brake, though that was probably as much down to the Quattroporte driver's lack of confidence as the heaviness of the car. He disappeared once I finally got past him on a straight.

Maser definitely has the Subaru on looks though, and definitely has more bragging rights

Edit: I guess there's one other advantage the Legacy would have over the Maser too, depending on what part of NZ you live in - the Subaru's pretty good in the snow thanks to it's utility-based 4x4.
I have no interest in japanese cars at all, it would be like asking me to swap my 750F1 Ducati for GSXR, it will never happen.
duemila and 147Alfaguy like this.
(Post Link) post #12 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
That sounds like the perfect description of a Ferrari 400i

Depends what you want it for I guess, personally if I only had space for 2 cars and already had a much loved Alfa in the garage (there will be a 116 series of some sort in mine eventually) I'd find giving the 2nd space to a Maserati a bit silly when there are other cheaper cars with better performance and more practicality out there, esp as the Maserati will perform pretty much the same function as a 3.0 / 3.2 166 (i.e. luxury grand tourer with a nice sounding engine). OTOH if the OP's 166 is plenty practical enough to be used as a daily, or there's loads of space on the driveway for 3+ cars, then why not get the Maser? As long as it doesn't come at the expense of the 166.

I know it's a bit tenuous seeing as the OP isn't choosing one or the other, but if I was given the choice between a 3.2 facelift 166 and a Quattrporte on roughly the same mileage / condition, if there was £1k price difference between them (quite possible) I'd keep the extra thousand and go for the 166. Maybe it's because I still remember the comedy value of a 15 year old Biturbo being worth less than it's clock (I kid you not!), maybe it's because I've seen too many underperforming Quattroportes so they seem a bit 'meh' to me, or maybe it's because I've got a soft spot for the Busso but that's the way I'd go... And if I was given the choice between a Legacy GTB plus a pre-facelift 3.0 166 for the same price as a Quattroporte, you wouldn't see me for dust

My 166 is an occasional tourer, I use a 92 Saab 9000 as a daily driver, and its been bulletproof.
The Maser storage isnt a problem :-)
(Post Link) post #13 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Quote:
'Tis a good looking car, but my old Legacy (Liberty?) twinturbo ... - the Subaru's pretty good in the snow thanks to it's utility-based 4x4.
There's a lot of Legacy's down here. Very popular with car thieves and enthusiasts alike. My brother has had a good run with 3 of them over the years. Quick too, and big enough for the family.

As for the Maserati...

It costs around 10 - 15 grand for a clutch replacement which is usually needed at stupid low km's. A mechanical warranty is most certainly required when buying one of these. Dealers try to get people to purchase one, partly so they don't have to worry as much about the car if something goes wrong. With the CGA, and a few of those other laws we have in NZ a 'sneaky' customer can really sting a dealer for selling a vehicle 'not fit for purpose'. I mean, comon it's a 15 year old Italian supercar, did you think it would take as much abuse as your '95 corolla.

Make sure that it can be covered under a mechanical warranty, and what you have to do to validate the warranty and what is and is not included. It may be too old/high kms for certain companies to touch. Otherwise I think it's about a grand a year for cover. With an excess to claim with unlimited claims up to 10 grand per claim. It depends from company to company, I'm sure the car dealer selling the car will outline and arrange it for you.

They look and sound fantastic for the price that you pay. But you have a good looking and sounding car in the 166, which is rarer as well as being cheaper and easier to maintain. Only thing I don't like about them is that strange gear selector lever thing on the earlier ones.
mj2k likes this.
(Post Link) post #14 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

The 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesalfa View Post
There's a lot of Legacy's down here. Very popular with car thieves and enthusiasts alike. My brother has had a good run with 3 of them over the years. Quick too, and big enough for the family.

As for the Maserati...

It costs around 10 - 15 grand for a clutch replacement which is usually needed at stupid low km's. A mechanical warranty is most certainly required when buying one of these. Dealers try to get people to purchase one, partly so they don't have to worry as much about the car if something goes wrong. With the CGA, and a few of those other laws we have in NZ a 'sneaky' customer can really sting a dealer for selling a vehicle 'not fit for purpose'. I mean, comon it's a 15 year old Italian supercar, did you think it would take as much abuse as your '95 corolla.

Make sure that it can be covered under a mechanical warranty, and what you have to do to validate the warranty and what is and is not included. It may be too old/high kms for certain companies to touch. Otherwise I think it's about a grand a year for cover. With an excess to claim with unlimited claims up to 10 grand per claim. It depends from company to company, I'm sure the car dealer selling the car will outline and arrange it for you.

They look and sound fantastic for the price that you pay. But you have a good looking and sounding car in the 166, which is rarer as well as being cheaper and easier to maintain. Only thing I don't like about them is that strange gear selector lever thing on the earlier ones.
Tghe 166 has been very difficult to maintain, but due to its rarity and condition, to say nothing of its trade in value ( nothing!) ill be keeping it as well as the Qporte
(Post Link) post #15 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkygodKiwi View Post
My 166 is an occasional tourer, I use a 92 Saab 9000 as a daily driver, and its been bulletproof.
The Maser storage isnt a problem :-)
Fair enough, I wasn't a fan of Japanese cars either 'til the legacy became necessary (they don't salt the roads or clear the snow near where I live) and if you've got plenty of room to store it, why not get the Maser to keep the 166 company?

But do take @mikesalfa 's comments into consideration - the earlier flappy paddle ones need a lot more maintenance than the 2007-on autos (is it mechanically similar to a selespeed?) so make sure that warranty's bullet-proof, esp as JDM imports can be a lot better bodily than they are mechanically. Probably explains why you can pick 2004/5 Quattroportes up for about the same price as a facelift 3.2 166 in the UK too
(Post Link) post #16 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Quote:
I agree, thats why I was wondering about a metallic black wrap, to change the colour and protect the original paint.
Really? I quite liked the back and white combo, quite contemporary for an older car - every QP I see over here is black!

I'm sure a tuned Legacy would whip a Quattroporte, but I can't imagine it'd sound anywhere near as nice!
(Post Link) post #17 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfalconer View Post
Really? I quite liked the back and white combo, quite contemporary for an older car - every QP I see over here is black!

I'm sure a tuned Legacy would whip a Quattroporte, but I can't imagine it'd sound anywhere near as nice!
Maybe not, but if you get past the 'frt-rt-rt' noise at idle they can sound pretty nice:

Mine had a fully decatted Fujitsubo and on the over-run from 7000rpm it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every bit as well as the legendary GTA/Wizard combo

(That's actually the one bit I really miss about the GTA - the last few months when it had a full Wizard system)

Last edited by mj2k; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:01.
(Post Link) post #18 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
The Quattroporte sounds epic, but I always thought the styling was a little bland, with Rover 400 rear lights.

They are likely to be a money pit as well.
(Post Link) post #19 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
The Quattroporte sounds epic, but I always thought the styling was a little bland, with Rover 400 rear lights.

They are likely to be a money pit as well.
I prefer the sound of a 3.2 Busso with Wizard, or a 2.0tb Busso with Ragazzon myself; there are some nice sounding v8s out there, but the two best sounding engines IMO are the old Ferrari v12 and the Busso (when you've put a suitably loud exhaust on it). To me at least a v6 / v12 always sounds better than a v8 (well, except maybe a 60-70s Dodge Charger).
(Post Link) post #20 of 45 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Quote:
Maybe not, but if you get past the 'frt-rt-rt' noise at idle they can sound pretty nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBO9xxHscYs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpezGI7EAfU

Mine had a fully decatted Fujitsubo and on the over-run from 7000rpm it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every bit as well as the legendary GTA/Wizard combo

(That's actually the one bit I really miss about the GTA - the last few months when it had a full Wizard system)
I take it back, those do sound pretty spectacular

Can't think of many V6 engines, maybe busso excluded that even comes close to the Maser V8 - V12, completely agree.
mj2k likes this.
(Post Link) post #21 of 45 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Well I signed the dotted line, and I will pick up the car next friday and take a 3 day road trip through the North Island with a friend in his newly acquired AMC Javelin.

Should be a great experience and I will report back on what the car is like.
alfabeat, cue2 and amfalconer like this.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Who would talk you out of this? You’re mad, and you’ll end up in the bankruptcy court, but it is good madness rather than bad madness.

My advice would be to find a parts supply ASAP. Stuff we take for granted on Alfa’s (166s included) are just stupidly expensive on these ... if you don’t know where to buy them. No idea how it works in NZ, but you may be better off shipping stuff in from Europe in big boxes.
(Post Link) post #23 of 45 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
Who would talk you out of this? You’re mad, and you’ll end up in the bankruptcy court, but it is good madness rather than bad madness.

My advice would be to find a parts supply ASAP. Stuff we take for granted on Alfa’s (166s included) are just stupidly expensive on these ... if you don’t know where to buy them. No idea how it works in NZ, but you may be better off shipping stuff in from Europe in big boxes.
I alwways buy 156 and 166, and the odd vintage ferrari part, out of europe, NZ is useless. I expect the same with the maser.

Wish me luck!
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Quote:
I alwways buy 156 and 166, and the odd vintage ferrari part, out of europe, NZ is useless. I expect the same with the maser.

Wish me luck!
Good luck

And if the worst comes to the worst, I wonder how well a 166 with a Maserati v8 under the bonnet would go? Well actually, given it's rwd a 105 or 116 based car would be a good place for that v8 to live, but that would be kindof mad in all the right ways

Last edited by mj2k; 1 Week Ago at 10:39.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:

Wish me luck!
Fair play to you.....you only live once....enjoy !!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
quattroporte , talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page