Convertibles. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

32Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Convertibles.

I don't really get them.

My current car (Inherited from my late Father) is an E93 BMW 335i convertible.

Its a lovely car in most ways, but for me I think having a roof which goes down is a mixed (at best) blessing.

You put up with several downsides, such as extra weight - approx 200kg over thecupe version, worse structural rigidity, extra complexity due to the roof itself, water leaks and rubbish boot space. If you have a soft top you also have worse security and more noise with the roof up.

What you get in return on the few days of the year that you can put the roof down are sunburn on your head and face (worse if you are bald), smells of rapeseed, horse and cow sh*t, diesel fumes, cigarette smoke from the car in front or people on the path, wasps and other insects buzzing around. Plus you either feel too hot or cold and never just right.

People also look at you all of the time which makes me feel a bit of a berk.

Am I missing the point here?

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170), BMW 335i Cabrio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Interesting. Iíve never heard anybody express these thoughts but Iíd always suspected the reality is a bit [email protected]
(Post Link) post #3 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I've never had one. I've been a passenger in a Caterham, deeply unpleasant on the motorway. When I was a kid, my mate had a Spitfire which was ok I suppose. I've been in a few MX-5s which I quite liked.

I expect it's a bit like going to a beach. Nice idea but the reality is that you get sand in your bits and all your food, sunstroke, and probably some insect bites.

I'm still tempted to buy a ragtop Saab and give it a go.
LiamBates likes this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
I've never had one. I've been a passenger in a Caterham, deeply unpleasant on the motorway. When I was a kid, my mate had a Spitfire which was ok I suppose. I've been in a few MX-5s which I quite liked.

I expect it's a bit like going to a beach. Nice idea but the reality is that you get sand in your bits and all your food, sunstroke, and probably some insect bites.

I'm still tempted to buy a ragtop Saab and give it a go.
Caterhams and MX5's are a bit different, they were designed as a convertible from the start so avoid many of the problems which afflict cut down coupes. Also a Caterham has terrible aerodynamics so would be dreadful at motorway speeds. My father once had a westfield, and with the roof down and doors off you couldn't keep your eyes open above about 70mph due to the wind.

I feel a bit guilty about critisising the BMW as it was my fathers and didn't actually cost me anything, but from an objective point of view I would much rather have the coupe version.
LiamBates likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

I wonder if the turnover of owners is greater for convertibles as theyíre something you aspire to but itís a bit different between dream and reality?
(Post Link) post #6 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Garage
Itís quite nice being out in the open on a nice sunny day in the countryside, but as you mention less pleasant in the city. The saloon/coupe based convertibles are also more often than not uglier, slower, and less practical than their hardtop equivalents.

Couldnít ever see myself in one but my dads been mad for them since he retired. Heís got a Z4 at the moment and the roof is down at every opportunity.

The weird thing about convertibles for me are the people that have one but keep the roof up on even the hottest and sunniest of days. Now that I really donít get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #7 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

A friend who was at Pininfarina in Gruliasco told me there were Mitsubishi cZ convertibles in fields that never sold. One of the reasons the factory closed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AFD75A93-A040-4423-B1C3-49C64A7FFDFC.jpeg (27.5 KB, 10 views)
(Post Link) post #8 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
A friend who was at Pininfarina in Gruliasco told me there were Mitsubishi cZ convertibles in fields that never sold. One of the reasons the factory closed.
Not one of Pininfarinas finest efforts...

The BMW does look pretty good with the roof up or down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02808.jpg (171.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9929.jpg (151.8 KB, 13 views)
cue2 and Stingwray like this.
(Post Link) post #9 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
We had a pug 207 CC.

Mrs Nick liked it but as a tallish person I found the front windscreen rake too much with the roof down.

I donít recall that the driving experience was especially remarkable . The wind noise on the motorway was manageable.

As it was a Peugeot the driving was equally unremarkable.

That 3 series looks well. Perhaps because of the colour.

A colleague went from a 2012 MX-5 to an A3 ragtop but I think Iíd favour the MX-5.
(Post Link) post #10 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: -
I like the idea of one, but as a man. I wouldnít be seen driving one on a public road...

(Post Link) post #11 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:

I drove a Nissan Micra with the roof down. It was for a laugh in work on a lovely sunny morning around the plot. Never on a public road mind you..

(Post Link) post #12 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire - Darn Sarf!
Garage
I love my mini, I only ever drive it with the roof down, even if its a bit chilly and I need a warm hat and jumper. If it's a roof up day then it's the Giulietta.

And there's the crux, convertibles are impracticable and mostly used as a second car for a bit of "fun in the sun". Its an expensive toy that spends a lot of time in my garage. (I do appreciate that I have the funds to have such a toy and others may not).

I'm the 6th owner of my Cooper S, its got 56K on the clock of which I have done about 8k in the 3.5 years I have had it. It was registered in March 2009. So it has passed through a few sets of hands. Maybe the harsh ride, Bl**dy run flats, they're coming off soon as (being tight!) I had to wear them out first was too much for some owners and to be honest it is a bit rattly for a "BMW"!

Would I sell it, only if I had too or if I wanted something else. Am I embarrassed driving it. No. Had a laugh with some guys in a van as we raced from the lights the other day. Yes, I do get tired of Gay/Hairdresser/Girls car quips. But couldn't care less.

Love the fresh air it brings and the strange array of smells you encounter!!

BUT I could never use it as my daily driver, its too small, the hard top is faster and less crashy and I much prefer the refined drive of my Alfa.
MalcQV and Nickhoughton567 like this.
(Post Link) post #13 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickhoughton567 View Post
We had a pug 207 CC.

Mrs Nick liked it but as a tallish person I found the front windscreen rake too much with the roof down.
Only ever sat in one once, it felt like it was gonna bifurcate me bonce.

The spider was selected over MX-5s and (alas) even the S2000 because it is just that bit more civilised. You donít feel like you are squashed against the other passenger, the door or the rear bulkhead. At motorway speeds it is civilised even with the roof down and there is enough room for a bag for a weekend away. Iím sure it is structurally compromised compared to the GTV but Mrs Pat complains enough about the spider so adding 10 mph around a corner wonít help.

As for the roof being up, itís an Alfa, the deck motor is fubar and I havenít read the manual to work out how to do it manually.

Nice Bimmer.
symon and Nickhoughton567 like this.

No 2 on the Git list

Are you folding?

(Post Link) post #14 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

With sport mode engaged and the roof retracted in the EOS today, it was fabulous. Sure, with the roof up it can be a bit creaky over uneven surfaces and it's a bit heavier than I'd prefer but on a sunny day it's fantastic. On a motorway it's just a good, quiet, comfortable cruiser. Quite expensive to run though.
(Post Link) post #15 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

BMW X5

Spent 5 months last year in a 430i through a very hot summer and it was fantastic. I do not have a bad word to say apart from it was purchased for my other half and she decided it was too big and she kept driving her Mini Roadster. When the sun subsided it was replaced.

Last edited by Stingwray; 3 Weeks Ago at 20:42.
(Post Link) post #16 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Mmmmnnn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FC69DB92-F401-4705-A216-BBCDA108427E.jpg (128.3 KB, 5 views)
symon likes this.
(Post Link) post #17 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Garage
Quote:
Mmmmnnn
Possibly worse than the Evoque droptop?
(Post Link) post #18 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Member car:

BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamBates View Post
Possibly worse than the Evoque droptop?
I am ashamed to say that I have daily arguments over Evoque convertibles as I want my other half to have one and she will not - believe it or not she wants a a Stelvio instead......madness
Nickhoughton567 likes this.
(Post Link) post #19 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Iím sure there are great deals on the old ewok cabrios. And itíll drive really badly.
(Post Link) post #20 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

They're brilliant for doing Blackpool illuminations.

Roof down motoring on a nice day is a lovely experience, but certainly not along the motorway.

And it doesn't really need to be a properly hot day. Anything around or above 15 degrees is fine. That's in a 4 seat convertible. In a 'true' convertible, they're even more well sheltered when open.
(Post Link) post #21 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay19 View Post
I like the idea of one, but as a man. I wouldnít be seen driving one on a public road...
You might suffer from terrible insecurities - don't try to drag down the rest of your gender with you.
Toronto Spider and Hobson284 like this.
(Post Link) post #22 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Ours is the biggest market for convertibles and you wouldnít want one in a hot country.
MalcQV likes this.
(Post Link) post #23 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

What a travesty
They couldnít shift them as Dodges so they sent them to Europe and swapped the grilles over!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1F6AEAB2-0833-4E8E-8AD4-4E3195DC5FFC.jpg (63.3 KB, 7 views)
(Post Link) post #24 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingwray View Post
I am ashamed to say that I have daily arguments over Evoque convertibles as I want my other half to have one and she will not - believe it or not she wants a a Stelvio instead......madness
I once found myself following an Evoque convertible along the A272 (roof up). From the rear, the proportions were so hideous that I found myself dropping back to follow no closer than 200 yards for several miles, until a T-junction where it turned right and I could go left. Phew!

In the late 80s we had a Mk1 Golf GTi Convertible, which was really well thought-out, and effective with roof up or down. My son has just bought a Mk3 of the same in basic trim, which is quite troublesome, but probably because it is old and unloved.

Before that I ran a Citroen 2CV with itís roll-back roof, which was fun except the back window cavity made a too-effective air brake, limiting speed to 50 mph. That said, with the 435cc engine roof-up top speed was only 60 to 65 depending on following wind or leading big truck.

These days, Iím not even interested in a sun roof.
(Post Link) post #25 of 51 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
I don't really get them.

My current car (Inherited from my late Father) is an E93 BMW 335i convertible.

Its a lovely car in most ways, but for me I think having a roof which goes down is a mixed (at best) blessing.

You put up with several downsides, such as extra weight - approx 200kg over thecupe version, worse structural rigidity, extra complexity due to the roof itself, water leaks and rubbish boot space. If you have a soft top you also have worse security and more noise with the roof up.

What you get in return on the few days of the year that you can put the roof down are sunburn on your head and face (worse if you are bald), smells of rapeseed, horse and cow sh*t, diesel fumes, cigarette smoke from the car in front or people on the path, wasps and other insects buzzing around. Plus you either feel too hot or cold and never just right.

People also look at you all of the time which makes me feel a bit of a berk.

Am I missing the point here?
You sound a bit grumpy, bad day today Symon?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
convertibles

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page