Cars you really dislike... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

72Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 91 Old 10-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Cars you really dislike...

.... for really irrational and illogical reasons.

Firstly, the Peugeot RCZ. I really like the shape, it's quirky and interesting and the double bubble roof reminds me of old land speed cars and mentalist Zagato stuff. However, the short nose and long rear deck scream mid-engined. I was so disappointed when someone told me it was FWD that I had to double check. My son has been a passenger in one and reports that the back seat is not a great place for people with heads or legs. Far better to put a motor in there.

Audi A5. To me the shape is pure muscle car. Long bonnet, shorter boot, 2-doors. For this reason it should have a V8 AND RWD. It doesn't. Disappointed again. (I am aware that you can have a V8 but not with a live axle and RWD. Fail!)

I was going to add the Audi S3 too. In theory there's a lot to like; plenty of power, 4WD grip, decent build quality, practical body shape.... However, every tracky-bottoms-tucked-in-socks wannabe drug dealer in the North West drives one (usually like and absolute bell....). That's not a group of people I wish to be associated with. On balance, I don't think that is irrational or illogical though.

Auto Express - six issues for a quid. Offer must end soon (and then immediately start up again).

Free poor quality torch/T-cut/I luv my VW Polo sew-on badge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
If we exclude almost every SUV/Cross-over ever made.....Let me think.

By coincidence, I walked past a black RCZ in our car park this morning and wondered why I was so ambivalent towards a relatively rare, not bad looking car.
Kia Optima is the first to come into mind. It couldn't be more bland or fleet targeted if it tried (even harder).

MGBs. Just utter rubbish then when they played at being a sports car with pre-war lever arm suspension and wheezy engines. Now you get the corduroys and flat cappers waxing lyrical about them.

Boxsters. Owners always go to great lengths to tell you why they are so good and not a pathetic substitute for being unable to afford a 911 but they seem to cost a fortune to run, break every five minutes, rust if not kept in permanent sunshine, have awful pushme-pullme styling and all but the very top of the range versions are a bit anaemic.

Volvo C70 convertibles. Apart from 4 seats and not banging your head in teh back of the coupe version, why bother?

The Lexus CT200. A Toyota Auris playing at aristocracy. There's more usable legroom in the back of that RCZ you hate.
Dave Brand, symon and stan laurel like this.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
(Post Link) post #3 of 91 Old 10-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
If we exclude almost every SUV/Cross-over ever made.....Let me think.

By coincidence, I walked past a black RCZ in our car park this morning and wondered why I was so ambivalent towards a relatively rare, not bad looking car.
Kia Optima is the first to come into mind. It couldn't be more bland or fleet targeted if it tried (even harder).

MGBs. Just utter rubbish then when they played at being a sports car with pre-war lever arm suspension and wheezy engines. Now you get the corduroys and flat cappers waxing lyrical about them.

Boxsters. Owners always go to great lengths to tell you why they are so good and not a pathetic substitute for being unable to afford a 911 but they seem to cost a fortune to run, break every five minutes, rust if not kept in permanent sunshine, have awful pushme-pullme styling and all but the very top of the range versions are a bit anaemic.

Volvo C70 convertibles. Apart from 4 seats and not banging your head in teh back of the coupe version, why bother?

The Lexus CT200. A Toyota Auris playing at aristocracy. There's more usable legroom in the back of that RCZ you hate.
Now I hate the Auris but it's not irrational. I hate the crashy ride and hard uncomfortable seats. I hate having to press the clutch to start it. I hate the grabby wooden brakes. I hate the confusing stereo. As the base for a small luxury car it's a really bad choice.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire - Darn Sarf!
Garage
Citroen 2CV. Never understood why people like them. Poorly made, rubbish to drive (ex girlfriend had one), stupid and overly complicated suspension. If you want to get an egg across a field, just get a chicken closer to your house!
73GTVJim, AmicusPro and silverevo like this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
I cannot understand the appeal of the VW Beetle. Badly packaged , terrible layout for handling and not particularly attractive to my eyes. Very well marketed and those pictures of the fuhrer in the convertibles give me the creeps. Come to think of it, his initial marketing ploy was downright dishonest.
AO Silver Member

County: -
Cars you really dislike...

I can say every modern Citroen are horrid even the vans, you canít move the seat fully back in the car derived vans because of the bulkhead behind the seat. So you sit like youíre a Monkey. They maybe quirky looking, but that is about all theyíve got going for them.

The Pug RCZ are horrid to drive too.
The worst is the 1.5 Diesel. When I see one at work, I try to avoid driving them. You have to clamber out of one due to how low the chassis sits.
The Audi A5 (if manual) has a design fault. If you fully depress the clutch, your foot overlaps on to the footrest making it uncomfortable whilst holding the clutch pedal whilst stationary.

Youíre right about the S3 too. Most of the dealers now have moved onto the BMW M140i or Golf R.

Today I drove a BMW M2, and M4 in work, both was not as good as you would expect.

Believe it or not, itís Hyundai that surprise you more. You expect to be underwhelmed when you drive one, but an i10 drives better than a Fiat 500, Mini, or Alfa Mito, etc.

The New E Class is nice to drive, Range Rover, SQ5, and Q3ís too.

Oh, and the Jeep Renegade.... Plastic piece of junk..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cue2 likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Interesting insight.
The Renegade just doesnít look right. Apparently it was the first car its designer ever did. And the sketches were promising. I get the impression the experienced designers who didnít win the sketch competition decided not to help him. There was one down our road but itís gone. Not sure which car replaced it as a Velar and a GLE seemed to appear when it left. The GLE Coupe is hideously misshapen.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Cars I dislike.

Every Vauxhall/Opel made since the Calton/Senator.
Most Mercedes (except for the really expensive ones)
The BMW Mini in all of it's incarnations.

The Current Fiat Tipo. Come on Fiat you can do much better than that....

A Mate of mine also had a Dodge Nitro. It is a horrendously ugly, badly built, bad driving heap of crap.
stan laurel likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside
Vauxhall/Opel cars, not fussy which one, all of them are as interesting as chewing cardboard.

Honda Jazz, hated the infotainment system and ergonomics, silly stalk positions and controls.

Tesla, not the really because of the car, more to do with the idiot running the company, tho arguably he’s not an idiot, he’s a very clever businessman, just don’t agree with his politics and opinions, so I’m never owning a Tesla
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay19 View Post

Believe it or not, itís Hyundai that surprise you more. You expect to be underwhelmed when you drive one, but an i10 drives better than a Fiat 500, Mini, or Alfa Mito, etc.

I really have to beg to differ on that!

I hired an i10 for a few days in January/February and I can confirm it's one of the most dire cars I've ever driven: dated interior with nasty grey plastic everywhere; steering that is both simultaneously numb and twitchy; fuel consumption way below expectations; gutless 3 cylinder 1.0 litre engine with no redeeming features such as "perky around town"; terrible paintwork - I've seen oranges that have less of the "orange peel" effect.

Overall, it was a really miserable experience. It didn't compete, in any field, to the experience I've had driving the Mito.

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

The cars/vehicles that I hate at the minute are:

Chrysler Ypsilon, for its design alone (Midget PT Cruiser/Lancia/Alfa wannabe). Looks awful, driven by people who are scared of tarmac.

BMW X5: driven by people too distracted by either in-game entertainment and/or little Tarquin,and have no road sense or awareness of what is happening outside their bubble.

With regards to the RCZ: I have a colleague who had one of the top spec cars (2nd hand). It was just out of warranty and the engine blew. He was quoted about £5000 for a replacement engine and had to write it off, selling it as spares and repairs. He reckons he lost about £3k
symon and Fruity like this.
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Garage
MG B is a great example. In fact the TF is another one too. Neither rare nor interesting, slow, dull to look at. No redeeming qualities.

symon, cue2 and Fruity like this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Honda Jazz: Irrational because by all accounts it's a perfectly functional car, reliable, cheap, good service etc. However, it seems that where I am the 40mph brigade drive them. Wherever they are, whatever road, whatever speed limit is in force, 40mph it is and I'm stuck behind. Argh

Nissan Juke: Sorry... I just find it awful. Cramped, visually challenging, uninspiring to drive...

Austin Metro: I was ferried around in some uninspiring cars as a child, Austin Maestro, Skoda Favorit, Peugeot 309, Citroen AX, but the Metro affected me deeply. My Mum had two, number 1 was a red manual with no 2nd gear. When someone had the decency to crash into it and write it off I was besotted, it can only get better. And it did, a Corsa courtesy car was ours for a few weeks. Then ANOTHER sodding Metro turned up. This one a red MG Metro with the black MG decals and even more terrible was the auto box. 'Drive' didn't work properly so you had to select 1st, 2nd, 3rd and then Drive or it wouldn't move. The cabin stank of fumes and the fuel tank filler leaked. It makes me mad just thinking about it
symon and Starkers like this.

Now: 156 GTA | Quaife Diff | Wizard Manifolds | Eibach Pro Shocks & Springs | Eibach ARBs | 330mm Brembo Calipers

Then: 147 Sport Q2 | Autolusso Remap | Swirl Flap & EGR Delete | Mocal Oil Cooler Kit | JTD Performance FMIC Kit | High Flow Elbow | Wizard Downpipe | PF Pads & 5.1 Fluid | Autolusso Braided Brake Lines | MTech Short-Shifter | Autolusso Silicone Turbo-to-MAF Hose | Refurbed Q2s

AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Juke, Ka (with the plastic bumpers), Audi A7 rather than the A5 - looks like someone huge sat on the boot of the A5, Early and Late Golf (too tinny or overweight), did I say the Juke? 2CV (awful to look at and awful to drive on the road - if I wanted to drive across a field I'd buy a Defender, Discovery or a tractor! Actually, most Audis, the Juke, Ssangyong Rodius, Toyota "yawn" Prius, Fiat Multipla and Smart Fortwo for having drivers look like 30st and Jeremy Clarkson crammed in to a toddler's play car.
Fruity likes this.
AO Silver Member

Mooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan laurel View Post
The cars/vehicles that I hate at the minute are:

Chrysler Ypsilon, for its design alone (Midget PT Cruiser/Lancia/Alfa wannabe). Looks awful, driven by people who are scared of tarmac.

I generally don't hate cars for the cars they are but often for how they are driven.
Here is my list:

Minis. 95% are driven by people who should seriously consider walking as they'd get there faster. The non-standard Maxis are the modern automotive emperor's new clothes.

Audi A1. It's just too inbred to simply have hit every branch of the ugly tree it fell out of.

Finally at number 1 is that perennial favourite of people hell-bent on reducing traffic flow, increasing emissions and causing gridlock. Yes, it is the statement-on-wheels which proclaims to the rest of the world,
"I know **** all about cars" (sorry, no nice way to put that).
Yes, it can only be the Volkswagen Polo; a car so bad on account of its owners that VAG going bust from the emissions scandal would be a gift from God.
AO Member

I actually love the Citroen 2CV for the purity of the engineering - had some great drives in them back in the day.

The Peugeot RCZ has forever appalled me though - it's not the overworked design so much as the saloon car dashboard and the fact that it is hugely bloated and they stopped designing after they got past the B pillar and thought "that'll do". However the 307CC/308CC are even worse than the RCZ.

Sadly there are a few Alfas that don't do it for me - but in present company I will keep quiet about those.
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
Membro Premio

County: Suffolk
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor1955 View Post
Sadly there are a few Alfas that don't do it for me - but in present company I will keep quiet about those.
Well, I'll say it then, and get flamed/torched/banned/drummed out...

Some modern front-drive Alfas are (kind of) badge-engineered Fiats, but more expensive and less reliable. Arguably, the last true Alfa was the 75TS: race-car engineered, classic twin cam Alfanord engine, rear wheel drive, transaxle, 50:50 weight distribution, lightweight, etc... A car for the purist.

Ooohh blimey, I shouldn't have said that!!

[Runs away and hides under rock, trembling in fear]
AO Platinum Member

County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Cars I dislike.

Every Vauxhall/Opel made
Most Mercedes (except for the really expensive ones).
I agree on both of these points

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrim View Post
Vauxhall/Opel cars, not fussy which one, all of them are as interesting as chewing cardboard.
I don't know if anyone has mentioned them but every V**xh*all ever made, or even "designed".

Vehicles that are so awful, they are dated (and faded) before they have even left the factory (which should burned). The government should pass a law to ban all of them and reward anyone who takes one to the scrapyard to be crushed*. The reward would be £5,000 per vehicle.

*I will allow for the occupants to be removed first.
Nickhoughton567 likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Herts
Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Most of the cars I dislike (loathe is too strong a word) are for fairly logical reasons - post-Euro2 diesels because they took a tough, efficient, reliable engine and turned it into a complicated, unreliable mess, SUVs because they're a fake-offroad sea of blandness and EVs because they're a fake 'green' solution, moving the pollution from the tail pipe to the power station, whilst adding extra poisonous cadnium, etc pollution where the batteries are made, created and disposed of.

But there are a few I hate for less rational reasons:
  • Modern Landrover Discoveries because they're driven by ignorant morons and you always get a new dent if one parks next to you
  • Modern Minis. They're not Minis, they're BMWs! And the Clubman is so ugly it could have been designed by Ssangyong
  • VWs. Over-hyped unreliable rubbish pedalled by crooks
  • Most BMWs - I'd love to try a CSL, 635, 850 or maybe one of the bigger 'cooking' M series sometime, but can't get over the typical hideous BMW dashboard design, or the thought that most of them are driven by willy-heads
  • Oh, and as everyone else has mentioned, the RCZ. In the past Peugeot have made some great cars (504 coupe, 406 v6 coupe, 205 GTi, 306 cabriolet / gti) but they lost it with this one - why create a such a spectacular-looking mid-engined car and then stick an engine in the front which is less powerful than an asthmatic hamster? A true hairdresser's car. But it doesn't make me angry, just sad when I think what it could have been
rjwooll and Fruity like this.

Last edited by mj2k; 12-05-19 at 10:17.
AO Silver Member

Garage
I feel I should perhaps defend the "BMW" mini. Well at least the 1st generation. Still feels like an updated original. The supercharged engine is a riot to drive.

Later generation 2 & 3's just a marketing ploy that they are minis. Latest ones based on 1 series or X1 platforms, not mini size at all. A bit like the latest Polo being bigger than the original Golf.

Now Golf's are a car I detest. Just background noise out on the road. As interesting as a Bic biro.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

I have no irrational dislikes, but I have a perfectly rational dislike of SUVs, because they park across my drive (all of them, and that's a fact) every day.
rjwooll likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Herts
Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparkin486 View Post
I feel I should perhaps defend the "BMW" mini. Well at least the 1st generation. Still feels like an updated original. The supercharged engine is a riot to drive.

Later generation 2 & 3's just a marketing ploy that they are minis. Latest ones based on 1 series or X1 platforms, not mini size at all. A bit like the latest Polo being bigger than the original Golf.

Now Golf's are a car I detest. Just background noise out on the road. As interesting as a Bic biro.
1st series are better, but still not a patch on a breathed-on final version of the'classic' mini IMO

I'm def with you on the golf, it's a mediocre car still playing off the reputation of the original MK1 Golf. If VW was (rightly) treated like BL by the media it'd have been laughed out of production long before now...
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2k View Post
1st series are better, but still not a patch on a breathed-on final version of the'classic' mini IMO
I loved my 1275GT mini, but when looking at the Cooper S I have now I did try a classic, but it felt dated and absolutely tiny. Which was a shame.

Also I remember the demise of my 1275 at the hands of a deer and a lamp post on the A5 near Rugeley! According to the police and ambulance they were surprised I wasn't dead when they found me!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparkin486 View Post
I loved my 1275GT mini, but when looking at the Cooper S I have now I did try a classic, but it felt dated and absolutely tiny. Which was a shame.
That sums up why I call the BMW versions Maxis (Countryman, Paceman, Clubman).
They are more the size and shape of the BL dull-mobile.

Crossovers? Lump them all together- especially the FWD ones for saddos who want people to think they have a 4WD.

I fail to see the point of them. For 2/3 the fuel economy of an old Pug 405, they provide the same space, less stability and worse looks. They have about 10x as many days of the road as the venerable old Pug diesel and once again the term "scared of tarmac" applies.

Last edited by Fruity; 12-05-19 at 17:18.
AO Member

County: The Kent/Sussex \hinterland
Garage

Member car:

Mito

Peugeot RCV or the Aldi TT as a friend calls them
symon, cue2 and Nickhoughton567 like this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
cars , dislike

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page