Cars you really dislike... - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

72Likes

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterzo View Post
I have no irrational dislikes, but I have a perfectly rational dislike of SUVs, because they park across my drive (all of them, and that's a fact) every day.
I deny it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitojohnners View Post
Peugeot RCV or the Aldi TT as a friend calls them
That's a blatant slur about Aldi.
Nickhoughton567 likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
An Audi is just a Skoda with posh seats. Isn't it...
RobM and Nickhoughton567 like this.
AO Platinum Member

I used to like Audis enough to buy new ones , until 2007. They became a bit vulgar. The Q7 was the last straw and you started to realise the Chinese market was the most important one they had. Skoda at one point took over the nicely executed look from Audi. Some of their design bosses have moved to Bentley and BMW but I don’t see Audi design bosses being head hunted. But when it comes down to it the stuff close to the surface is the same between the two makes. In fact I remember the realisation that a Skoda taxi I was in had a vent at the back of the centre console and my Audi ,despite being on the same base ,didn’t.
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitojohnners View Post
Peugeot RCV or the Aldi T!T as a friend calls them
There, fixed that for you!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
I used to like Audis enough to buy new ones , until 2007. They became a bit vulgar. The Q7 was the last straw and you started to realise the Chinese market was the most important one they had. Skoda at one point took over the nicely executed look from Audi. Some of their design bosses have moved to Bentley and BMW but I don’t see Audi design bosses being head hunted. But when it comes down to it the stuff close to the surface is the same between the two makes. In fact I remember the realisation that a Skoda taxi I was in had a vent at the back of the centre console and my Audi ,despite being on the same base ,didn’t.
I don't mind some Skodas and Seats.

They don't have the bulls**t factor that sees aspirational types paying extra for the badge.

A few years back my father had a skoda Rapid as a courtesy car whilst his Merc was in being fixed after breaking down. It was dull, but very worthy and certainly better inside than the Korean and Japanese "washing machines".
Fruity likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Range Rover Velar, not a huge fan of any of the current Range Rovers as they're a bit too Cheshire footballers mansion for my liking.
Fruity likes this.
AO Silver Member

Cars you really dislike...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaDrivingFan View Post
Range Rover Velar, not a huge fan of any of the current Range Rovers as they're a bit too Cheshire footballers mansion for my liking.

They’re bloody nice though. The centre console is a clear touch screen panel with heated and seat massage. They’re really luxurious and lovely to drive.

My wife has a MK3 SuperCharged 4.2 V8 400hp one which is still really nice and highly specced.
They’re bad ass 4x4’s in top spec...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Clay19; 12-05-19 at 19:54.
AO Silver Member

Cars you really dislike...

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
An Audi is just a Skoda with posh seats. Isn't it...

No, a Skoda is a lower specced people’s car (VW) for the person on a low income

An Audi is a premium sector of the VW group. For the people on a higher income

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay19 View Post
No, a Skoda is a lower specced people’s car (VW) for the person on a low income

An Audi is a premium sector of the VW group. For the people on a higher income

But in many cases they are the same product with a few different body panels and a different interior.

In a few cases the Skoda version has been mechanically superior. (The Skoda Fabia got independent rear suspension where as the VW polo and Audi A1 of the time didn't)
Nickhoughton567 likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
No, a Skoda is a lower specced people’s car (VW) for the person with sense and money in similar quantity

An Audi is a premium sector of the VW group. For those with higher levels of money soon parted from their hard earned.

I corrected your typos.

To stay on topic, the cars I dislike are:
Vauxhall Corsa D and E
Many models of Mercedes (mainly saloons and wagons) which have large enough displacement and or turbos to sprint to sixty quicker than they do.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
.... for really irrational and illogical reasons.
Porsche.

Apparently some of the best handling/great performing cars you can get. I could quite happily wrangle a boxster around a roundabout or blat a 911 down a B road, but I just don’t think I could face myself after. I excuse myself by saying they are ‘so variable’, a boxster ranges from a god-awful poverty spec 2.5 to a proper 3.2 (3.4?) with all the trimmings, but that’s no different than any other manufacturer. Their niche thing massively annoys me, the 911R and a thousand other variations designed to be nothing more than a futures option for moneyed a-holes I find tedious. But most of all I think it’s the ‘person’ thing. Back in the ‘80s they were synonymous with wunches of bankers and I don’t really see them as any different now.

...and this from someone who is currently driving a BMW, and everyone knows what prats they are.
gralegav and mj2k like this.

No 2 on the Git list

Are you folding?

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I feel similar about Porsches. Partly because the old air-cooled stuff sounded like it was broken, and they seem to have tried to continue the same rattley engine note even in the newer water cooled stuff.
(Post Link) post #39 of 91 Old 13-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
I feel similar about Porsches. Partly because the old air-cooled stuff sounded like it was broken, and they seem to have tried to continue the same rattley engine note even in the newer water cooled stuff.
In the early water cooled days they sounded like that because they were actually broken.
AO Platinum Member

My first memories were of a 356 that visited the people next door being ugly then reading a less than glowing write up on the 911 in Motor magazine. Overpriced , thirsty and not very durable but they stuck with it. I’ve heard from an Audi salesman that the turnover over owners is relatively high as owning a Porsche is on the list of boxes to tick. A friend did exactly that, buying a 1980s 911 then thinking “is that it?”and moving it on.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
They’re bloody nice though. The centre console is a clear touch screen panel with heated and seat massage. They’re really luxurious and lovely to drive.

My wife has a MK3 SuperCharged 4.2 V8 400hp one which is still really nice and highly specced.
They’re bad ass 4x4’s in top spec...

They're probably much nicer when you're in the drivers seat and I don't doubt for one moment their ability but it's not about logic or reason. No doubt if I won the lottery I'd be a total hypocrite and get one
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Pretty much every modern Ferrari.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I am going to add "most cars with daylight running lights" as they are often badly aligned. Of course Alfas will have them sorted (or the chance to turn them off) because I've not had an issue with one behind me... Seat are worse than Audi in this regard, along with most SUVs and even some of the Beemers/Mercs. It's a growing "trend" and I hate that you can't turn your lights off on some cars (at least I seem to recall that's at least a Scandinavian thing...) Other than that a newer Volvo would be on my future shortlist if an Alfa didn't fit the bill
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
Membro Premio

County: Suffolk
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
I am going to add "most cars with daylight running lights"...
All new car models approved for sale in Europe since Feb 2011 have had to have daytime running lights (DRLs) at the front, and some manufacturers include them at the rear too - even though there's no legal requirement to do so. Some of the front DRLs are indeed very bright LEDs, but of course you can't blame the driver if there's no switch to turn them off!

Generally speaking, I think the manufacturers need to stop trying to out-do each other with ever-brighter LEDs, before we all go completely blind and mad. A car is a great big thing and most people can spot one in daylight, even if it hasn't got blindingly bright lights on.

That said, there is some strong research evidence to show that DRLs reduce the likelihood of accidents - especially collisions involving multiple vehicles.

Currently driving....
Alfetta 2.0L saloon | Honda CR-Z Sport | Honda Insight EX | Honda CR-V EX iMMD Electric Hybrid
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
All new car models approved for sale in Europe since Feb 2011 have had to have daytime running lights (DRLs) at the front, and some manufacturers include them at the rear too - even though there's no legal requirement to do so. Some of the front DRLs are indeed very bright LEDs, but of course you can't blame the driver if there's no switch to turn them off!

Generally speaking, I think the manufacturers need to stop trying to out-do each other with ever-brighter LEDs, before we all go completely blind and mad. A car is a great big thing and most people can spot one in daylight, even if it hasn't got blindingly bright lights on.

That said, there is some strong research evidence to show that DRLs reduce the likelihood of accidents - especially collisions involving multiple vehicles.
Admittedly the ability to turn on the "auto" dim on the 159 would help in some of these situations. And I wasn't blaming the drivers (well, apart from buying the cars!) One of the issues I have is that DRLs deflect my attention from the unlit pedestrians too easily... I find them more a distraction than an aid.
Club Member
Membro Premio

All American cars. From the model T to the newest GT40. Except maybe the Tucker.
(Post Link) post #47 of 91 Old 14-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Myles View Post
All American cars. From the model T to the newest GT40. Except maybe the Tucker.
What about Model Ts built in England?
AO Platinum Member

What about the AMC Pacer?
That was a gem and it was American.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Nope. I admire the model T for what it meant to motoring, its mass production and hence bringing of the joys of motoring to us all, but no, nothing automotive from America was ever anything more than technically ancient. Be it pushrods for the valves or leaf springs for the axles, they just carried on making model T's really.
AO Member

County: -Buckingham
All chinese cars with Volvo badges stuck on....

Don.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
cars , dislike

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page