34% fail MoT test - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

6Likes
  • 1 Post By amfalconer
  • 1 Post By RobM
  • 1 Post By MalcQV
  • 1 Post By keithyboy
  • 1 Post By Fruity
  • 1 Post By Keithy

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 24-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
34% fail MoT test

A brief report in the Daily Telegraph says that more than 7.5 million vehicles failed the annual MoT test last year. 34% of cars and vans initially failed according to a report from DVSA. Vehicles that failed had an average of three faults.
Lighting and signalling were the biggest issues causing 30% of defects. Followed by suspension (20%), brakes (17%) and tyres (10%)

Do most drivers rely on the MoT test to check the car? Surely it is not beyond the capability of most drivers to check lights and signals and get a garage to fix them before the test.

To an extent I can accept suspension and maybe brakes but with the depth marks in the tread surely a simple visual check would tell you the tyres are not going to pass.

Procrastination is the thief of time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Our little IQ has an mot claim to fame;
https://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-iq-is-a-pass-master
“Of the 1.2 million cars tested, the diminutive Toyota iQ city car outclassed the competition with a pass rate of 91.82 per cent based on 2,835 tests. The average mileage accumulated by each of these vehicles during this three-year period was 20,235.”
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Sadly most people do exactly that, unless they have a bulb warning system, or someone tells them it's out, they assume all lights are working, and the amount of people whose cars I park alongside, and notice the tyres are almost slicks is incredible.

That said, not everyone is as anal about their vectras and focus's as we are about our cars, I personally have a pretty good track record of MOTs, even my 22yr old Volvo V70 regularly flies through it's MOT with no advisories.
Fruity likes this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 14 Old 24-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Our little IQ has an mot claim to fame;
https://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-iq-is-a-pass-master
“Of the 1.2 million cars tested, the diminutive Toyota iQ city car outclassed the competition with a pass rate of 91.82 per cent based on 2,835 tests. The average mileage accumulated by each of these vehicles during this three-year period was 20,235.”
Edited having read the article. This is comparing chalk and cheese since Toyota are only talking about 3 year old cars and the test as it was six years ago. The article is dated September 2013

However it is still impressive that only 232 cars failed at three years old

Last edited by TonyGr; 24-04-19 at 17:16.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
The pass rate mentioned was for first tests, of cars three years old , when the IQ had been on the U.K. market three years.
It’s a relatively simple car and it was actually a Japanese Toyota.
(Post Link) post #6 of 14 Old 24-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
You beat me to it. My apologies for misunderstanding.
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
Membro Premio

County: Suffolk
Garage
My 40 year old Alfetta saloon has passed every MOT (first time) for at least a decade. The MOT is actually a pretty basic set of safety checks and there's no need for any well-maintained car to fail it.

But - as others here have said - it seems that very many owners take little or no interest in the maintenance and safety of their cars...
Starkers likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGr View Post

Do most drivers rely on the MoT test to check the car? Surely it is not beyond the capability of most drivers to check lights and signals and get a garage to fix them before the test.

To an extent I can accept suspension and maybe brakes but with the depth marks in the tread surely a simple visual check would tell you the tyres are not going to pass.
Yes I do, mostly. I check the obvious things like washers, lights & tyres etc but the MOT I use to gauge if my car is sound. I rely on systems on board for oil and tyre pressure where applicable. Mechanicals, suspension and such I leave to professionals to tell me. (except as below).

Of course on the Alfas I owned, I used my ears. The suspension knocking and creaking like an old boat is a dead give-a-way and they did that a lot
keithyboy likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I have to admit that I don't check anything before they go in but if I do notice blown bulbs, I obviously replace them. If it happens to fail on one, the MoT man just changes them and rounds the test fee up to £40.
MalcQV likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

The amount of drivers I see with a headlight out figures dont surprise me
AO Silver Member

County: -
Most people don't care or at least don't take responsibility for ensuring things are right.

Maybe I'll offer a new example to define humans;
People who think they are intelligent, informed and wise consumers who buy cars based on N-Cap ratings and then don't bother to check tyre depth or pressure, fluids, wiper blades, lights or headlamp aim.
(or use indicators or check mirrors)
maxiboy wales likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGr View Post
A brief report in the Daily Telegraph says that more than 7.5 million vehicles failed the annual MoT test last year. 34% of cars and vans initially failed according to a report from DVSA. Vehicles that failed had an average of three faults.
Lighting and signalling were the biggest issues causing 30% of defects. Followed by suspension (20%), brakes (17%) and tyres (10%)

On the other hand... Titch, the Younger Mrs S.' Cinquecento failed the last MOT because the NSF indicator was "not orange enough".

Fair enough, it was a faint orangey yellow colour, rather than pukka Jaffa-spec' Orange... but WTFF? It's a flashy orangey-yellow light, coming on and off at the same rate as the very orange side (and rear) repeaters... What does the MOT tester think another motorist might assume it means? "Hmm... that car looks like it's indicating left... but it can't be; that's RGB 255:192:000, not RGB 255:153:000 .. My brain hurts!"

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
[Every frikkin' year]

**Arrives at garage**

"Give it a check-over and a service then MoT it please"

**Leaves**

**Returns**

"We did the MoT first to see what needed doing and it failed on all the things we have subsequently fixed"

*Sigh*
TonyGr likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Herts
Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruity View Post
Most people don't care or at least don't take responsibility for ensuring things are right.

Maybe I'll offer a new example to define humans;
People who think they are intelligent, informed and wise consumers who buy cars based on N-Cap ratings and then don't bother to check tyre depth or pressure, fluids, wiper blades, lights or headlamp aim.
(or use indicators or check mirrors)
Maybe they should introduce a bi-annual 'safety' MOT for humans too, including checking people remember how to verify their car is safe to drive, checking they haven't forgotten how to use their indicators, checking what minimum stopping distance means and what the horn is for, remembering chatting on your phone is illegal, etc.

I just hope they don't introduce a bodywork integrity test or I'd start to get worried about failing on serious structural deterioration

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
34% , fail , mot , test

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page