New cars and their autobox settings - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Motoring Discussion A place to discuss motoring related topics - except those relating to Alfa Romeo.

12Likes

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

If I could have my C63 as a manual, I would be delighted.

There are nice things about the auto. It's very easy of course. And it blips the throttle for you delightfully on downchanges and the like.

But I miss the level of involvement, and as childish as I am, I miss being able to give it some revs when pulling away. Of course I can still give it some revs - but since I can't feather the clutch it necessitates engaging warp speed which I don't want to do most of the time.
symon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimJeeper View Post
Not a problem if you drive a car with a proper man gearbox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
I still prefer a manual box over any Auto/dual clutch which I have driven.

The 8 speed ZF in the 640d was good. The DCT in my 335 is great, but neither give the same level of driver involvement as a traditional manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
If I could have my C63 as a manual, I would be delighted.

There are nice things about the auto. It's very easy of course. And it blips the throttle for you delightfully on downchanges and the like.

But I miss the level of involvement, and as childish as I am, I miss being able to give it some revs when pulling away. Of course I can still give it some revs - but since I can't feather the clutch it necessitates engaging warp speed which I don't want to do most of the time.

Gaaaa you sound like Merrrcans and the "manual is best". Overrated.

Unfortunately just like ICE is soon to be, Manual/Stick is going bye bye. We have to move on.
The two old sheitey boxes I have are manual. Tedious.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Eh? All the yanks I come across are more likely to say they don't know how to drive a man car.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimJeeper View Post
Eh? All the yanks I come across are more likely to say they don't know how to drive a man car.
That's right. Hence those that can wax lyrical about how fooking good it is and what a theft deterrent it is.

Mosey on down to DriveTribe and particularly on the book of faces. Regularly you get the Manual Vs Auto crap and all the Americans shout about 'Stick'. We in europe have been sticking it for thousands of years and as such can generally take it or leave it.

So that is why you sound like an American with your outdated manual gearbox blah blah
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
I might also add that the Americans had column shift wayyy back. Possibly an American market idea.
Almost everybody had them, not just the Americans. A long, long time ago a mate had a clapped out old Austin Somerset with a four-speed gearbox & column change. The technique to find a gear was to wave the lever in the general direction of where you suspected the gear should be & hope that all the bits of the worn-out linkage moved in more or less the right direction at more or less the same time; if you were lucky you could find a gear which was approximately the one you wanted. The only vehicle I've ever driven with a worse gearchange than the Austin Maxi. The only other column-shift manual I remember driving was an FB Vauxhall Victor; with only three gears to contend with it was tolerable.

Quote:
First ever dumb **** emergency foot brake (as oppose to handbrake) I ever had the misfortune to come across was in a Ford Taunus or some Granada like thing in 1988 in the good 'ole USA.
That would have been a Taurus.

Foot-operated emergency/parking brakes are still common on American cars. If you never use it for parking it doesn't matter where it is. I'd argue that as an emergency brake they are better than a handbrake, as you can apply much more force
MalcQV likes this.

Now on sale in the House of Commons gift shop:

Brexit Fudge. Buy two, get a free unicorn.

WARNING: MAY cause vomiting.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
When cars go electric we won't even need a gearbox.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Both Giuliettas at Geneva had tct gearboxes on the Alfa stand. We’ll be used to autos then no gears by the time we go electric.
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesalfa View Post
During a test drive I accidentally pressed down on the gear selector stalk when wanting to use the indicator (as I had just been driving a Japanese car.)
I'm also not too fond of the BMW indicators, where they always return to the middle position.
They don't anymore - since 2017 ish the BMW indicator stalks are "latching" (at least on 3s, 5s, 7s, X and M cars - not sure about the 2 Series Tourer aka - Renault Scenic-alike) - they stay where you put them till they cancel as you tirn the wheel. I think Vauxhall/Opel started the nonsense but common sense has prevailed.
AO Platinum Member

The indicator stalk on my e93 drives me nuts.

You push it down to indicate then if you try to cancel by moving the opposite way it flashes for the other direction.

It is far more annoying than the way the autobox selector is setup.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor1955 View Post
They don't anymore - since 2017 ish the BMW indicator stalks are "latching" (at least on 3s, 5s, 7s, X and M cars - not sure about the 2 Series Tourer aka - Renault Scenic-alike) - they stay where you put them till they cancel as you tirn the wheel. I think Vauxhall/Opel started the nonsense but common sense has prevailed.
The Giulia I test drove had a non-latching indicator so I'm guessing this will spread throughout the Alfa range.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Idea

Quote:
The indicator stalk on my e93 drives me nuts.

You push it down to indicate then if you try to cancel by moving the opposite way it flashes for the other direction.
Did you know you cancel them by moving them the same way?
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
Membro Premio

County: Suffolk
Garage
The gearchange lever is doomed...

Quote:
When cars go electric we won't even need a gearbox.
Very true - and we're already there. My new car is direct drive, with a 184bhp/315Nm electric motor, an Atkinson petrol engine, a computer-controlled clutch but no gearbox, CVT or variable ratios of any kind. Also no gear lever (obviously), and no handbrake lever. Push buttons for forward and reverse. Pure electrics don't even need the computer-controlled clutch.

It's the way the World is going, so we'll just need to get used to it - or drive a classic! (I'm trying to do both).
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksAlfas View Post
Did you know you cancel them by moving them the same way?
Yes, but that isn't exactly intuitive, and if you press down at the split second after the indicators self cancel they start flashing again.

Why do car manufacturers feel the need to alter things which don't need to be altered?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Motoring Discussion

Tags
autobox , cars , settings

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page