The shape of the Alfa grille. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 04-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

The shape of the Alfa grille.

This is something that doesn't often appear on alfaowner.com, but lets give it a try, it's a pasted quote from a discussion in today's Guardian newspaper.

The Italian carmaker Alfa Romeo use the triangle symbol as their distinctive grille badge. I daresay many of you will disagree but the design pretty clearly was intended to evoke the pubic triangle of a naked woman. Observers might also note how the design has evolved from the wide isosceles of the 70's and 80's to its much narrower current version, following the trend of female pubic grooming. We will have to wait to see if the Alfa triangle will start to get wider again in the next year or 2.....

I have to confess it's an aspect of Alfa design that's never occurred to me before, when I was driving one nobody pointed it out to me, whereas two or three of my wife's women friends have commented with a knowing wink about the first two letters of my current car's registration, BJ... It's an interesting point, lets see if we can discuss it without giving the moderators any reason to jump in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Cornwall
Garage
Mmmm, what does the Jaguar S-Type represent? A very old and experienced woman, perhaps....
VO2Max

Regardless of whether your car will get you a cheeky little BJ from your wife's friends or not Kayem, I believe the grille and general frontage of an Alfa actually depict a cat's face. The triangular central grille being the nose, the headlights the eyes, and there were often little side grilles which were the whiskers.

AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Garage
Must admit it had never occurred to me...! Introduces a whole new and faintly disturbing element to mt relationship with my car. I bet my wife will just laugh when she hears about this.

Whereabouts in the paper does the quote come from? I must have missed it when I flicked through this morning.
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

In the words of Swiss Tony;

"Watch me. Learn from me. I could teach you everything there is to know about this business. These aren't cars we're selling here, they're dreams. And to know about cars, to know about dreams, you have to know about women"

Maybe Swiss Tony has had some influence on the design of Our Alfas over the years?! Obvious space time continuam issues aside, I think it is something we have to consider.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

That's the Guardian commentariat for you... know-it-alls looking to squeeze unrelated facts into their own pet theory without the inconvenience of testing their theories against fact or history. Too many social scientists in the readership, I suspect...

The origin of the Alfa's grille was the 6C 2300 Touring Spider from the 1930s, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Al...ing_Spider.jpg. Note that the grille comes to a point at the bottom. The Villa d'Este http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Alfa_Villa_d_Este.JPG had a narrower grille imposed on it by the rest of the front, but a more pronounced point. So, the very first was the narrowest, so much for "wider, but getting thinner".

Alfa's own marketing material says the Villa d'Este was the first car to carry the trademark grille. The design was so unusual for the times that it was carried over onto later cars. After the war, as cars became wider, and less upright, the grille decoration became wider and more triangular. Recently, as pedestrian safety has imposed taller front ends on cars, the grille has grown taller again.

In summary, to quote Freud, "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 JTDm Lusso

As usual the Guardian gets it wrong, nothing to do with pubes

Warning link possibly NSFW

women cleavage alfa romeo red dress HD Wallpaper - Girls (#1097708)
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
I always reckoned it was the shape of one of the leaves from the four leafed clover ... ... I think that means I pass some sort of purity test Which will be a first in my case.
(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 04-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisW View Post
That's the Guardian commentariat for you... know-it-alls looking to squeeze unrelated facts into their own pet theory without the inconvenience of testing their theories against fact or history. Too many social scientists in the readership, I suspect...

In summary, to quote Freud, "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"
Absolutely right about some of the Guardian's readership, if they wore a badge, you'd probably cross the road to avoid them, but their wimmins' section has some odd preoccupations, they keep returning to the subject of grooming the lady-garden and vaguely related aspects. You don't want to know about an even stranger piece they ran about a month ago on the subject, I kid you not, of 'Vaginal Knitting'.

Monica Lewinsky would have appreciated your final comment about cigars.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
The Villa d'Este File:Alfa Villa d Este.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

....is wearing a merkin!!
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Bye, bye Brera

I'm sorry I read this thread! I'll now be making sure no one is around before I lean over the grill to give my bonnet a good polish.
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayem View Post
The Italian carmaker Alfa Romeo use the triangle symbol as their distinctive grille badge. I daresay many of you will disagree but the design pretty clearly was intended to evoke the pubic triangle of a naked woman. Observers might also note how the design has evolved from the wide isosceles of the 70's and 80's to its much narrower current version, following the trend of female pubic grooming. We will have to wait to see if the Alfa triangle will start to get wider again in the next year or 2.....
Its narrower now? Has he never seen one of these:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=al...x%3B1024%3B681

The bloke is a Dick.

Someone said to me, "so whats so special about an Alfa Romeo then?" I told him, "If you have to ask, you wont understand".

Giulia Super Lusso 2.0MA, wife drives 939 Spider 2.2, plus Abarth 595 and there is a 1972 Spider 2000 S2 in the garage for fun days.

Previously, Brera 2.2 Prodrive - 159 SW 1.9JTDm - 1.6TS 147
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaRed Brera View Post
Its narrower now? Has he never seen one of these:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=al...x%3B1024%3B681

The bloke is a Dick.
Does that make the Alfa grille more attractive to him?
(Post Link) post #14 of 16 Old 04-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelunch View Post
I'm sorry I read this thread! I'll now be making sure no one is around before I lean over the grill to give my bonnet a good polish.
Try not to get too excited, and stay well away from the exhaust pipe...
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
I suspect that the shape of the grill is something to reflect on the ‘Cuore Sportivo’ (‘Sporting Heart’) phrase used for many years to describe Alfas, this is a registered trade mark of Fiat.

I'm surprised anyone still reads the Guardian.
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
"The sporting heart" marketing only started fairly recently I think ...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , grille , shape

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page