GT V6 - Mpg, running costs etc - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 22-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
GT V6 - Mpg, running costs etc

A garage localish to me has a GT 3.2 v6 for sale. A bit over my budget right now but the thought that crosses my mind is... you only live once.

Currently i have a 1.4 punto MA which does 33mpg and a 2.0ts GTV that does 23mpg. The plan is to make the GTV a daily driver and get rid of the Fiat but then i saw the GT.

what are the running costs to expect for a GT? someone please talk me out of it. Also, what is the going rate for a 3.2 v6 with a q2 and a recent timing belt/water pump change?

Cheers!

Alfa GT 3.2 V6 - Quaife diff, Wizard SS manifolds, Scorpion SS downpipes, Scorption GTA catback, Bilstein b4 Dampers, braided brake lines, MTEC drilled disks, Red Stuff pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

I run a 147 GTA same engine, and similar suspension components I think.

I get about 28-32 MPG on a VERY steady long run, get enthusiastic and it drops very quickly.

Around town I get about 15-20MPG.

No doubt, it's an expensive machine to run, cambelt, plugs and full service was £700.

I've had to get a radiator for mine £200+ fitted, tyres, £100 odd a corner.

I've also bought a spare ECU as a precaution for mine (£1,400, gulp) as a few have been failing on the forum recently - (dont know if this affects the GT though)

IIRC Ransoman you had a lovely 145QV for a while (just like I used to). The GT will feel much quicker, more surefotted and grippy but will lack that real feel that you get in the 145 through the pedals and the wheel.

I say take the GT for a good run, if you can afford the running costs go for it.

Further info:

Tax, mine is an 04 plate: Around £280 a year

Insurance: £800 odd
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
do some research on the GTA forums to give you an idea of what crops up more often than others. If you can afford it with the help of some man maths, go for it!
You will love it
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Don't do a test drive, you will end up buying it
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
I've been pondering one of these myself...just the thought of stepping back a year or two having a 1750Ti but...that engine appeals;0) does anyone know if the v6 came with isofix for my two boys to perch up in the back?

Many thanks!
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo73 View Post
I've been pondering one of these myself...just the thought of stepping back a year or two having a 1750Ti but...that engine appeals;0) does anyone know if the v6 came with isofix for my two boys to perch up in the back?

Many thanks!
I don't think it has but maybe you can just buy the car seat base(non isofix) to fit your car seat.

Last edited by dtone; 23-01-14 at 08:19.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
If you drive a GT V6 like a pussy on reasonable length motorway journeys, you will get about 340 miles on a tank. By "like a pussy", I mean keeping it at or below 70, not ragging it up hills and generally being well behaved. Not sure what that translates to in MPG, but the dash is reading 27 mpg average. Of course, it takes the patience of a saint to drive like that in this car, and if you are enjoying yourself, expect 22 - 24 mpg.

Most of the other running costs are no different to any other 156/147/GT. You'll probably get through tyres faster, but that is down to you....
(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 24-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Thanks folks. Very tempted and i have already worked out that the purchase price wouldn't cost me anymore over 2 years than i am already paying for my Punto

The pictures show a Q2 badge but the ad doesn't list a q2. Is there anyway to tell if one has been fitted during a test drive (and a single mass flywheel).
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

looks i nice car that, id be tempted if it was closer, even has a towbar for pulling me jetski !!!

its not going to be cheap to run, hardly the point, its a fast beautiful alfa after all
AO Member

County: Glasgow
I use mine everyday, short commute, shopping constantly limited by the bumper of the car in front and I usually get 21mpg ish. On a drive out into the highlands and some open country roads and it jumps to 28mpg without even thinking about it and maybe 30mpg if you are being really boring. That said floor it and you can watch the fuel gauge going down

I think I found the advert. Think the description is the result of them ticking boxes so I wouldn't read too much into that.

Don't think there is any way to tell if its got the Q2 without taking a driveshaft out and having a look, how the car handles and puts the power down has a lot to do with the condition of the suspension and the tyres. If there is no proof then try and use it as a bargaining tool, on the other hand not many people would bother putting the badges on if they hadn't actually fitted it. It also appears to have an after-market exhaust judging by the size of the tail pipes and has a strut brace fitted so I would guess the Q2 is likely to be real. It looks like it has headlight washers, so it probably has heated seats and maybe xenon headlights too which would be nice.

At that kind of mileage I would be looking for receipts that include upper/lower wishbones, anti roll bar etc. It will have a single mass flywheel anyway, same as the GTA.

Before I bought mine I was on the fence, should I, shouldn't I etc. In the end I did, spent every penny I had at the time to get it and have never looked back. It really is a great everyday car and surprisingly practical too.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________
3.2 GT, Wizard, Eibach springs, very dirty and usually no petrol.
AO Member

County: Vorarlberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransoman View Post
A garage localish to me has a GT 3.2 v6 for sale. A bit over my budget right now but the thought that crosses my mind is... you only live once.

Currently i have a 1.4 punto MA which does 33mpg and a 2.0ts GTV that does 23mpg. The plan is to make the GTV a daily driver and get rid of the Fiat but then i saw the GT.

what are the running costs to expect for a GT? someone please talk me out of it. Also, what is the going rate for a 3.2 v6 with a q2 and a recent timing belt/water pump change?

Cheers!
Now your are thinking about it and you even throw about MPG figures.
Once you test drove it and of course bought it afterwars you won't give a damn about MPG once you learned that it is not a fuel leak but normal behaviour.

Buy it. Last chance to get a car with such a brilliant engine. Now they ruin them with the Tbi and try to make people think it's better.
I have em both. The Tbi is not better. It's not even in the same league. It's a bloody sewing machine and once it reaches the 100k miles my V6 has it probably has it's 3rd turbo.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
costs , mpg , running

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page