Brand Passion and Loyalty - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 61 Old 21-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Etela-Suomen Laani
Brand Passion and Loyalty

I was just thinking that the passion we have for Alfa is somewhat unique in the motoring world. I paid a brief visit to a Seat forum trying to get some more info on the new Leon Cupra (mainly if they were going to launch an AWD version) and was mildly shocked to see that those people only seem to be interested in Seat because of the value proposition i.e. bang for buck. They were pretty much all saying that money permitting they'd rather buy a Golf, Audi, Beamer or Merc. And that because the new Leon Cupra with options would come within a couple of £k of an Audi or Golf, then it didn't make sense to buy one as it was "only" a Seat and then moaning about depreciation.

We don't seem to have that kind of attitude here. No one would say they bought a Giulietta QV because it was good bang for buck and that really they would have preferred a Golf R but it was too costly. And no one complains that a Giulietta QV will lose twice as much money in 3 years than an A3.

Can't help but wonder whether Audi drivers have the same thing going? I.e. "I only bought an Audi TT because I couldn't afford a Cayman", etc. ?

We can be proud that Alfa fans love the cars for what they are, even if they are expensive to buy and have big depreciation.

Although..... could it be that we too are actually really into Ferraris and Maseratis if it wasn't for the money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Renfrewshire
It's a taste thing.

Put a 159 next to a BMW or a Merc and tell me the Alfa isn't the best looking!

Put a Brera or even a 916 next to a TT and I'm sure the answer will be the same!

A C4 next to a Caymen.......need I go on!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Bang for buck is pretty good on Alfas, but it's not the primary concern, I guess - an Alfa is an Alfa. It's designed by people who are willing to sacrifice some practicality for style, some efficiency for driving fun. Of all cars, it's the one you really can't evaluate from a spec-sheet.

There are quite a few Audi drivers on here, and they've never said "I really wanted a Porsche". An Audi is a very clear type of product - it appeals to you or it doesn't - and so is an Alfa, BMW, FIAT, or even Skoda.

SEAT's problem is that they can't yet answer the question: "What kind of cars does SEAT make?", so that leaves people with no attachment other than the price and features list. They're good cars on paper, but they're not reliable enough and not stylish enough to compensate for it. Ironically, VW's "Why have 'like a Golf' when you can have a Golf" ads applied to SEAT more than to any other carmaker.
AO Member

County: -
I think it's down to "passion".alfa owners buy with their heart,everybody else buys with their head or wallet.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Over the years I've visited these car forums (in chronological order):-
FerrariChat (US based)
HondaccordForum (US based)
ClubScuderia (UK based)
VWAudiForum (UK based)
mg-rover.org (UK based)
and of course here.
On PH they just slag one another off

Never noticed the "I would have preferred the more expensive model". Must be SEAT owners only
AO Platinum Member

County: Lincolnshire
Definitely all about the passion with Alfa owners - it's a love affair that never dies. My 147 has cost me a fortune just these last couple of months. It's left me seriously out of pocket, but all worth it - never begrudge spending and I'd always borrow, beg (or maybe) steal the money to get anything done that is needed.

For me, the 159 (have owned one) or the Brera were probably the most beautiful Alfas ever made. They're just drop dead gorgeous compared to their rivals.

Last edited by divadiva; 21-01-14 at 16:30.
AO Member

County: Warwickshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by divadiva View Post
Definitely all about the passion with Alfa owners - it's a love affair that never dies. My 147 has cost me just these last couple of months, it's left me seriously out of pocket, but all worth it - never begrudge spending and I'd always borrow, beg (or maybe) steal the money to get anything done that is needed.

For me, the 159 (have owned one) or the Brera were probably the most beautiful Alfas ever made. They're just drop dead gorgeous compared to their rivals.
Spot on that ^

At about 8 o'clock this morning I was sat in traffic at the far end of the M1 waiting to get onto the North Circular, in front of me was a tasty looking 'wide body' Porsche 997 in metallic grey which was eye wateringly nice to look at, especially from the rear, but along side was a similar coloured '57 plate 159 2.4 JTDm sitting on what looked like 19" 5 hole alloys and it was utterly gorgeous to look at, we crawled alongside each other for about ten minutes so I got a good look at it from the front, side and rear and I could not take my eyes off it. Behind us and further on were countless BMWs, Audis, VW Golfs, 4x4s etc but they all looked so dull compared to the Alfa's simple yet beautiful lines. About fifteen minutes later I found myself sat behind a gleaming '57 plate GT Blackline once I'd got onto the N.Circular... again, it was stunning to look at from all sides and despite (or perhaps because of) it's simple unfussy lines it stood out from the everything else around it.

If either of these two Alfas belong to forum members then I salute you

I've only been an Alfa owner for three short weeks but already I 'get it'.... whatever 'it' is!
AO Member

I've had a number of new and nearly new SEAT's over the last 5 years...

Never had any major problems really and the main driver behind having them was something a little bit 'different' to other cars on the road and the fact that they're essentially VW's with just a tad more style...I agree theres not too much brand identity there really due to those heavy links...

Don't talk to me about depreciation either....I've exchanged my 13 plate Leon FR 1.4 140 specced up to the hills at nearly 22k....9 months later trade in? £14,500 (approx 16k sold privately)
AO Member

County: Queensland

Member car:

RX-8

cant compare seat to alfa..

like comparing sitting to flying
AO Member

County: Auckland
All brands have their die-had fans - Alfa probably has a higher ratio of those to sales than any other mainstream brand.

For most car buyers though, car barnds sit in a hierarchical tree that looks something like:

Ferrari - Porsche - Lamborghini - Bentley - Rolls Royce
|
Range Rover - Jaguar - Mercedes - BMW
|
Audi - Volvo
|
Renault - Fiat - VW - Ford
|
Vauxhall - Hyundai - Kia - Skoda
|
Proton - MG - Suzuki

For Alfa Romeo though its a binary thing - you either get Alfas, so you get an Alfa; or you don't and you won't.

I doubt there's a single person on here who feels aloof of another Alfa owner because of the model of Alfa they drive. On the other hand BMW and Mercedes remove badges as a no-cost option because the sense of hierarchy is so strong even among buyers of the same model!
RSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
Over the years I've visited these car forums (in chronological order):-
FerrariChat (US based)
HondaccordForum (US based)
ClubScuderia (UK based)
VWAudiForum (UK based)
mg-rover.org (UK based)
and of course here.
On PH they just slag one another off

Never noticed the "I would have preferred the more expensive model". Must be SEAT owners only
+1

I've been or am a member on boards dedicated to AMG, Mx5, S2000 and Land Rover. All are thriving communities full of people with great passion for the brand/models concerned and most are repeat buyers and/or multiple owners.

The AO version of the phenomenon you describe is somebody thinking that a 10 year old £1500 rebodied Fiat and liberal use of the word "soul" somehow almost makes him a Ferrari driver

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
+1

The AO version of the phenomenon you describe is somebody thinking that a 10 year old £1500 rebodied Fiat and liberal use of the word "soul" somehow almost makes him a Ferrari driver

I own a soulful diesel Alfa. A four pot diesel with soul :/
AO Member

County: New South Wales
Even if i won lotto up to 5 million dollars i would still get the top of the range Alfa and still keep my Alfa 147 as my work car(work i mean staring my own nightclub or something on a greek island). Theres no other brand i am more in love with.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
only cars, innit?

just saying
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Quote:
:doh: :doh:

No ferrari-driver me
AO Member

Only cars? Sacrilege!! Haha..

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
only cars, innit?

just saying
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
only cars, innit?

just saying

Think you're joking.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I was very dedicated to Alfa's from when I passed my test in 1997 until a couple of years ago.

I did enjoy it, but my only regret was that I missed out on some really good cars from other manufacturers.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Nij View Post

I've only been an Alfa owner for three short weeks but already I 'get it'.... whatever 'it' is!
Congrats on becoming an owner.

I've owned other marques, but nothing compares to the feeling of being 'at one' with an Alfa. Love a good blast (as earlier) in my 147 on the fast, helter-skelter country roads here.
RSK

Quote:
:doh::doh:

No ferrari-driver me
Ah yes but you're also in possession of more than half a brain matey

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

You think that's unique to Alfa Romeo? I see guys "cruising" in their lowered 1999 A4 TDis, pretending like they've got an R8 or something. But I'll bet they get more enjoyment out of those sooty A4s than most people who do have the money for an R8 will from their cars.
AO Member

County: Renfrewshire
RSK......As an "ex Brera 3.2 QV" owner, I guess you didn't "Get it"!! Haha!!
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Quote:

Thats interesting, remembering this is an Alfa Romeo forum, as soon as anyone says anything derogatory about anything German (however truthful) you chastise them, yet you think its OK to do the same about Alfa Romeo. Mmm, interesting. Do you simply dislike Alfa Romeo owners?
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisW View Post
You think that's unique to Alfa Romeo? I see guys "cruising" in their lowered 1999 A4 TDis, pretending like they've got an R8 or something. But I'll bet they get more enjoyment out of those sooty A4s than most people who do have the money for an R8 will from their cars.
Agreed there are many other marques out there enjoyed, Italian, German, American, in fact I think even some folk love their French cars.. well maybe.

R8's, no I beg to differ. Awesome cars and at prices as low as this Audi R8 4.2 FSI Quattro 2dr
Even commoners such as me could afford one as a toy. I personally would enjoy an R8 for certain.
Bloody good price that.
RSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaRed Brera View Post
Thats interesting, remembering this is an Alfa Romeo forum, as soon as anyone says anything derogatory about anything German (however truthful) you chastise them, yet you think its OK to do the same about Alfa Romeo. Mmm, interesting. Do you simply dislike Alfa Romeo owners?
Erm what ?

If you could point out exactly what I've said in this thread that's derogatory about Alfa Romeo cars I'd be pleased to hear it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
brand , loyalty , passion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page