Would you buy a cat c? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 19-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Would you buy a cat c?

Any advice welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

crazycarb

I would if it was the right car for me. But with GTV's/Spiders, there is no need to, as there are enough around that are not cat c.

AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Garage

Member car:

Alfas

Maybe as an everyday run around. Most people nowadays are looking for cars as keepers and a cat C or D isn't that appealing.
AO Platinum Member

Cat C and D are more or less "minor damage .. car value makes it not worth bothering" which could amount to just a dented panel and busted headlamp that was repaired. I'd have it if I knew what the damage was and if the price makes an allowance. I can fix a busted headlamp after all...

Ralf S.
AO Member

Member car:

alfa spider

My spider is a cat C, as long as you check the car over so you know what you are buying it doesn't make much difference in the cars value, i work in the motor trade and generally a cat C car is worth around 30% less, but as spiders are worth bugger all it doesn't really matter, my spider was registered in April 1996 so is on a N reg, that's the only reason I bought mine as I have never seen such an early RHD spider
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6

I have a cat C V6. Check that you can get it insured, as you may find your insurers won't cover it. They won't check if the car is damaged repaired unless and until you make a claim, and they won't ask when you take out the policy. You have to do the digging.

At the lower end, where a lot of these are, you won't find a lot of movement on price, and they'll still need the usual issues sorted.
As a cat C owner, I would agree that it's worth shopping around and trying to find an undamaged one.
Best of luck.
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
YES!!

Just make sure the tracking is bang on and you will find that car will be fine!
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
For me I would probably not buy one unless it was really cheap and I was planning on running the car for a long time.

I have backed out of a deal before now after finding out a car was a Cat C after winning it on ebay.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
As said - no problems if its cosmetic damage / stolen recovered etc - just judge on condition. I've bought plenty. The "insurance company won't cover you" thing really annoys me, as they are prepared to sell the darn things as repairables, and after they've been VIC'd and MOT'd there should be no reason for them not to be insurable. I accept the value will be less than a non-damaged one, though.....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
buy , cat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page