Autocar reviews 4C in UK - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 35 Old 16-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Autocar reviews 4C in UK

Five stars first time . Now four but pretty good review
Alfa Romeo 4C UK first drive Review | Autocar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Mixed, I suppose and in typical Autocar fashion any compliment seems to be drawn reluctantly and only when outweighed with criticisms. It must be good to get as much credit as it has from them.

He does seem to be another tester who doesn't quite "get" it like say, Hammond or Harris.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Wait for AutoExpress. I fully expect: "Twice the price of a VW Sirocco, and the plastics aren't as good"
(Post Link) post #4 of 35 Old 16-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

It actually praises the plastics in Autocar.
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisW View Post
Wait for AutoExpress. I fully expect: "Twice the price of a VW Sirocco, and the plastics aren't as good"
(Post Link) post #6 of 35 Old 16-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

In fact the highlight is "You’ll want to add the optional parking sensors, though, as you can’t see anything over your shoulder and you can barely see out of the back window."

Read more: Alfa Romeo 4C review: first UK drive | Auto Express
VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
Mixed, I suppose and in typical Autocar fashion any compliment seems to be drawn reluctantly and only when outweighed with criticisms.
Yes, it's all very begrudging, isn't it?

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

I'm amazed that AutoExpress gave it a 4/5 (which is at the lower bounds of a fair score, I think)...

... but then, super-light mid-engine track cars is one of those rare niches where there's no VW Group product available.

Interesting to compare those two reviews. If I had produced one of those as a school essay I might have been accused of copying!

In spite of that, the reviews do sound plausible and give a flavour of what the lucky 4c owners will experience when they get their cars on the road. It's not a car I would buy but I can see the attraction in spades.

Kris - you really, REALLLY don't like VW Group do you?
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeX159 View Post

Kris, can I join your club?
AO Silver Member

County: Anglesey
If you read the group test in this weeks Autocar magazine, and not the online version, you'll see that in comparison to the Cayman, which is the best all-rounder, and the Elise which drives best, they still say the one to get is the 4C, so I think they do GET IT.
AO Member

County: Antrim

Member car:

Alfa GT

Lifted a What Car recently. First time in years and now I know why I stopped buying it.
If its not completely boring, made in Germany and soulless it's not recognised.
If it was a fashion magazine we would all be running out to purchase a nice brown anorak!!
(Post Link) post #13 of 35 Old 17-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTVIEW View Post
Lifted a What Car recently. First time in years and now I know why I stopped buying it.
If it was a fashion magazine we would all be running out to purchase a nice brown anorak!!
Excerpt from Giulietta write up ;
"The boot also disappoints; it has a high lip, plus the rear seats don't fold completely flat.

Should I buy one?

The Giulietta isn't a match for the best cars in the class, but itís just about worth considering as a punchy, stylish and efficient hatchback. The new diesel replaces a model that got impressively close to matching our True MPG test figure; a potential real-world 60mpg is very impressive.

- See more at: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/alfa-romeo/giulietta-hatchback/2014-alfa-romeo-giulietta-review/1218302#sthash.jbJLuZDf.dpuf"
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTVIEW View Post
I Stopped buying What Car about 7-8 years ago when they did a twin test between a 407 coupe and a Brera and the Peugeot won. Not because of anything to do with engines, performance, looks etc but because the Peugeot had a slightly bigger boot. (In a coupe!!)
And if you see a Brera now compared to a Peugeot 407 coupe there aint any comparison what so ever, the Brera still looks class even to new cars today!
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Bundy View Post
If you read the group test in this weeks Autocar magazine, and not the online version, you'll see that in comparison to the Cayman, which is the best all-rounder, and the Elise which drives best, they still say the one to get is the 4C, so I think they do GET IT.
Whilst I know what you mean I am tired of conclusions like these. They just cant give it the overall "win". Its not just this model, its been happening for years. I still remember the big Top Gear test when the 156 came out, which they put in 3rd position but then he drove away in it.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeX159 View Post
Interesting to compare those two reviews. If I had produced one of those as a school essay I might have been accused of copying!

In spite of that, the reviews do sound plausible and give a flavour of what the lucky 4c owners will experience when they get their cars on the road. It's not a car I would buy but I can see the attraction in spades.

Not true. I think Skoda are Europe's best carmaker, no question. The VW and Audi brands are trading on past glories, though.

My problem is with magazines who are so easily bought by whoever has the biggest ad spend. AutoExpress are notorious for changing their opinion depending on who's filling the shiny pages that month, and VW's ad budget is the biggest around.

I like competition, but VW are stifling it with their current tactics of diverting Chinese profits onto heavy discounts in Europe; and in the long run, the only way this can work for VW is if they can force a competitor out of business. (A stupid idea, as the only carmaker whose government would have let it die was FIAT when Berlusconi was in charge, and now with Silvio on his way to the clink, and FIAT with Chrysler they're out of the woods)
(Post Link) post #17 of 35 Old 17-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Kris , Skoda are very good at what they do but in the vag matrix they are not allowed to make cars that appeal to the heart as well as the head. Their cars were the most impressive at Genova last year from the group but are still a bit "Grey" . Even the VRs models lack emotion but that was shown in the phasing out of the Fabia model.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Skoda are being held down in VW group, for sure. (I've always thought Skoda was the prize of the Eastern bloc, and whoever got it would have done well from it) The problem is that the VW brand's quality has declined as their costs have increased, but politics prevents them moving a major model out of Lower Saxony to the Czech Republic, but it's exactly the kind of shock that the German plants would need.

In a way, FIAT having a government that was so antagonistic to them for so long, forced them to do the right things, not things that would appeal to voters.
(Post Link) post #19 of 35 Old 17-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

"exactly the kind of shock that the German plants would need."
Kris , you may be aware that the Touran plant was launched with this intention ,in Wolfsburg , but with workers from ranks of unemployed and with reduced rights etc.

Here's the info about the VW subsidiary created to "teach a lesson"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_5000

Last edited by cue2; 17-01-14 at 21:31.
RSK

Ladies and gentleman welcome to today's VW/German car industry bashing thread. If you don't have time to read this one rest assured another will be along very soon .......

As for the original topic as mentioned in the full three car test the verdict on the 4C seems fair and measured and the car clearly compares very favourably with the opposition.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

(Post Link) post #21 of 35 Old 18-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
Ladies and gentleman welcome to today's VW/German car industry bashing thread. If you don't have time to read this one rest assured another will be along very soon .......

As for the original topic as mentioned in the full three car test the verdict on the 4C seems fair and measured and the car clearly compares very favourably with the opposition.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
Totally agree . This automatic deviation from the subject to a cut and paste " VW and whatcar are in cahoots etc " thing is tiresome .
(I just felt not many people were aware of the Auto 5000 set-up in Wolfsburg, admittedly taking things even further off subject)
(Post Link) post #22 of 35 Old 18-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Back to subject. The pictures of the white 4C !
I want one . (My 4C is only 1:43 scale )
The lotus looks so mundane in comparison .
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Any car with 4 stars or above has got to be worth having and it's not very often they have given an Alfa that kind of score.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

@RSK, it's not bashing. A statement that I think that Alfas are better than the equivalent Volkswagen is hardly out of place on an Alfa owner's forum. I'd hardly have bought two new Alfas in a row if I'd thought a new VW/Audi would be a better choice, would I?

@PR - I think it's fair to not pick a "best" in this class, because it's not a single class, but two. The Cayenne is a road car that can go on the track; the Lotus is a track car that you'd be slow to drive any distance on the road. The 4C is kind of in the middle, but closer to the Lotus.

Overall, 4/5 is a fair assessment, as it would be for the other two contenders.. it depends on what you want from a car, and how much you want to spend...
(Post Link) post #25 of 35 Old 18-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

There is no VW product in this market , unless you count the cayMAN which is a Porsche .
So it's sad that this thread goes into the standard, slightly uninformed attack on Wolsburg.
Incidentally here's a Cayenne Overview - All Porsche Models | Porsche
Apparently it's surprisingly good on track . Unmade that is !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
autocar , reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page