New baby forces sale =((((( - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 16-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin
New baby forces sale =(((((

Tell me I'm not crazy? I don't think us new Dads really expect the hit of loosing our cars and switching to boring 1.4 estates! Unfortunatly my 156 has to go, not because it's not a decent sized car but because I just can't afford to make it safe enough for my 14 month son. I have done a good bit of work on it and fixed the engine issues , but its needs to much to go through an MOT(NCT), new tyres , links , airbag light is on , passenger airbag has been messed with, boot isn't working right , locks are sticking and the paint work is detroyed, dents everywhere ,rust...so she has to go and probably to a scrap yard whch is a shame because she is stunning inside, sports pack, full leather.

So I've been racking my brain thinking of what to buy next, thought about an RX8 but they are just too small for a family everyday driver and I couldn't rish buying one and having the engine start giving me major rebuild issues, The 159 doesn't do it for me I'd want a petrol anod the 1.8 isn't good enough I'm a Twin spark man.

Does anyone on here have an Alfa as a second car? I think the Mrs might kill me and call me selfish but I'd like to buy a 'family car' for her and the baby a 1.4 Focus or something and use that when we travel together and then use some of my savings to buy another Alfa as 'my' car for the weekends and work etc, maybe a two seater Alfa GTV or spider. I like working on Alfa's , love the engines and know them so to me it makes sence and I do love the old GTV and spiders, could pick up a minter for under a grand over here if I move before summer?

Am I crazy? Should I just put both bugets together and buy a family car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Awaiting Email Conf

County: Greater London

Member car:

Quattroporte

It sounds like your problems with the 156 are nothing to do with having, or not having, a toddler in the house.

There is an argument to say the 156 is '80s tech (built on the Tipo platform) and a new boring Focus or Ibiza will have much much better crash-worthiness. That might be relevant to whether you want to put your son in it or not.

I've always fancied an RX8 and I wouldn't let the 'not big enough for a family' argument detract you if that's what you want. Your son will be out of buggies sooner than you can imagine and Argos sell a very nice umbrella-type stroller for GBP 15 which will easily fit in the Mazda's boot. But they have shocking consumption and do come with some horror stories of engine rebuilds so you would need to go into it with your eyes well open.

If your 156's subframe is not rotting from tin-worm I'd be inclined to lavish some TLC on it and you'll probably have many more years motoring from it.
(Post Link) post #3 of 13 Old 16-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

I did think about taking the 156 off the road and putting it in the garage as a project while driving something else, I have a large garage out the back that could fit 3-4 cars it just needs a clean out. Problem with the 156 is that the front tie rod end snapped a few month's ago coming down a hill with herself in the car and she's afraid of it now. It does need a lot of work and definatly requires a full respray and panel attention , add on top of that new discs, brakes , tyres , thermostat and the costs can add up through I'd do the labour myself it's finding the time...She could be sitting in there a long time..

The RX8 is a cracking car and there would be enough room , we have a stroller that would fit in. The engine compression issues and hot start issues are a concern I'd bea gutted to buy one and have to dump 2-3k into it to fix the engine...
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Sport

Well, I had a Brera for 3 years and absolutely loved it, but a new baby (born yesterday!) meant I had to swap. The Mrs has a MkI SEAT Leon Cupra, which is big enough for the car seat and related kit, and is quick, but at 10 years old isn't really as safe as I would like as the main family car.

After lots of searching, I went for a Giulietta QV. The G is extremely safe, with 5 Euro NCAP stars, looks amazing and is practical. I went for the QV as I wanted a petrol, and he had to be quicker than The Mrs 200bhp Cupra!

You can get some good deals if your budget allows!
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

GQV and Brera V6

My Giulietta QV is technically our second car and it is used for the children too without any problems but our main car, a soon to be replaced Landcruiser, is our main family transport.
AO Member

County: New South Wales
The RX8 is a great car, but my next door neighbour had one about 15months ago, his advise was it needs to be driven at least every two days, they have issues due to the rotary engine getting stuck if not driven at least twice a week. He even lend it to me whilst he went on holiday fearing it will have issues starting. One time he left it for a week and he had MPG issues and would also run cold. As for the Alfa 156 that sounds like alot of expenses. What you mentioned is worth more in repairs here than buying a newer 156. If you get a Toyota you can always sell it with no issues and not lose much value after the baby is old enough to ride without a child seat. Which in that case he/she is not a child anymore and would love the thrill of an Alfa.
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare
Garage

Member car:

916 gtv 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishcrx View Post
Tell me I'm not crazy? I don't think us new Dads really expect the hit of loosing our cars and switching to boring 1.4 estates! Unfortunatly my 156 has to go, not because it's not a decent sized car but because I just can't afford to make it safe enough for my 14 month son. I have done a good bit of work on it and fixed the engine issues , but its needs to much to go through an MOT(NCT), new tyres , links , airbag light is on , passenger airbag has been messed with, boot isn't working right , locks are sticking and the paint work is detroyed, dents everywhere ,rust...so she has to go and probably to a scrap yard whch is a shame because she is stunning inside, sports pack, full leather.

So I've been racking my brain thinking of what to buy next, thought about an RX8 but they are just too small for a family everyday driver and I couldn't rish buying one and having the engine start giving me major rebuild issues, The 159 doesn't do it for me I'd want a petrol anod the 1.8 isn't good enough I'm a Twin spark man.

Does anyone on here have an Alfa as a second car? I think the Mrs might kill me and call me selfish but I'd like to buy a 'family car' for her and the baby a 1.4 Focus or something and use that when we travel together and then use some of my savings to buy another Alfa as 'my' car for the weekends and work etc, maybe a two seater Alfa GTV or spider. I like working on Alfa's , love the engines and know them so to me it makes sence and I do love the old GTV and spiders, could pick up a minter for under a grand over here if I move before summer?

Am I crazy? Should I just put both bugets together and buy a family car?
See you're in Ireland
Ive a gtv as a second car....well it will be once she's fixed:roll eyes: Also Im ten years at least off having kids so I don't have as much safety concerns to contend with.

Anyway if it was me and she was saying the 156 had to go, id be doing as you said and buying a gtv and let her get the family car. If you're into cars, theres nothing worse than having something that doesn't put a smile on your face.
AO Member

County: Midlands
Can't really be much help on most things but rotaries I can, a veteran of two RX7 FD's means I have more then enough experience with them.

Ok so engine compression issues are a problem and you will want to make sure you pick up a good one, the RX7 used to go at around 60kmiles while the RX8 is a stronger engine due to new design and it's naturally aspirated so no more twin turbo attacking it constantly I would still be very suspicious of ones for sale at exactly 60k. The main issue is that these cars use oil to lubricate the tips and as many drivers don't realise this they don't top up their oil and this creates excess wear on the tips.

They are great cars and the engine is one of the greatest engines ever designed just make sure when you test drive that you take it on a good run turn it off and then try and start it hot, if there is any hint of trouble on a warm start run away as quickly as you can. You also want to check how much the seller knows about rotaries, if they have no idea run because they haven't looked after it right. Do they redline the car? If no be cautious as these are not the same as regulator engines and actually need a thrashing sometimes, avoid boy racers obviously but that one barley used by a little old lady who never revved it is even worse.

The other thing is they are not cheap to tax, fuel or repair so factor that into your decision.

If you want any advice mate PM me more then happy to give you my advice and experiences
DNG
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GT 3.2

Hate it when babies do that, demanding you change your car. Cheeky beggars
(Post Link) post #10 of 13 Old 27-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidus View Post
Can't really be much help on most things but rotaries I can, a veteran of two RX7 FD's means I have more then enough experience with them.

Ok so engine compression issues are a problem and you will want to make sure you pick up a good one, the RX7 used to go at around 60kmiles while the RX8 is a stronger engine due to new design and it's naturally aspirated so no more twin turbo attacking it constantly I would still be very suspicious of ones for sale at exactly 60k. The main issue is that these cars use oil to lubricate the tips and as many drivers don't realise this they don't top up their oil and this creates excess wear on the tips.

They are great cars and the engine is one of the greatest engines ever designed just make sure when you test drive that you take it on a good run turn it off and then try and start it hot, if there is any hint of trouble on a warm start run away as quickly as you can. You also want to check how much the seller knows about rotaries, if they have no idea run because they haven't looked after it right. Do they redline the car? If no be cautious as these are not the same as regulator engines and actually need a thrashing sometimes, avoid boy racers obviously but that one barley used by a little old lady who never revved it is even worse.

The other thing is they are not cheap to tax, fuel or repair so factor that into your decision.

If you want any advice mate PM me more then happy to give you my advice and experiences
That's helpful mate thanks, I've done a lot of research on them over the past few weeks and have pretty much decided that I am going to for an RX8 probably the end of next month or the month after when the tax on the Alfa runs out.

Market for them in Ireland is tight , good one's are hard to come by and they do seem to be getting snapped up. Will have to be very careful on this one , there is the option of going to the UK and getting one and paying the VRT which is about 700 to bring it into Ireland all in pric will work out the same as buying over here.

Checking on auto trader there seems to be a lot of backyard dealers in the UK! And if I made the trip and the car turned out to be a lemon!
AO Member

County: Etela-Suomen Laani
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNG View Post
Well, you see, I wonder if this is really true... You can get a boring family car second-hand for, say, 1,500. It will cost you maybe 400-500 a year to insure depending on your situation.

So, people who are saying stuff like they need to sell their Brera because there is a baby on the way... why not simply get a second car? Then keep the Brera as well.

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

Renault Laguna 2.0 16V EXPRESSION 5DR AUTO [LOW MILES]

If you are sailing so close to the wind that you can't afford to invest 1,500 in a second car, then I question whether you have the finances to look after a baby in the first place.
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNG View Post
I had to chop my vectra v6 cdti in for a Renault grand scenic. Then bought a 147 6 month later. It doesn't last long!
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
A 159 Sportwagon is the perfect family car and is very safe for passengers (but not for pedestrians LOL). Its been brilliant for transporting my two kids aged 2 and 5 and it doesnt look boring either.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
baby , forces , sale

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page