Armed forces to get discount on new motors - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 13-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Ceredigion
Armed forces to get discount on new motors

So it's been announced today that the armed forces are to get huge discount help with buying new cars. alfa and fiat join in amongst many more.

Is this a good idea, or the least of the armed forces problems...?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/c...r-armed-forces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

daveb257

Been done for years already, huge discounts and/or tax free for BFPO

AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

I always have mixed feelings over forces discounts.

It is a job at the end of the day, they chose to do it, however brave that makes them. Yes I am very greatful for the work they do and probably couldn't do it myself, but they get paid for it, when on tour they do get paid quite handsomely considering they have other benefits like cheaper housing anyway.

I dont understand why they then need to get further discounts on everything, In our local area we have quite alot of forces bases, either army or navy and there was a time when they got discounts on new build houses!

While i worked at the cinema they got 20% discount

What makes them more deserving of getting discount on a new car when they chose to do the job in the first place.

PSN ID - Greener_CFC1

"Blue is the colour, football is the game, we're all together and winning is our aim, so cheer us on through the sun and rain, coz Chelsea... Chelsea is our name."
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Civil Servants & NHS get good deals too
(Post Link) post #5 of 18 Old 13-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

@dave this is for non BFPO addresses

From what i can see yes they have a job to do and they chose to do and therefore get paid and with the massive recruiting serge at the moment there has to be some incentive to join?

There is a huge debate over what they should and shouldn't get but at the end of the day some one has to do it.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
To the OP, are you saying this is a bad thing
(Post Link) post #7 of 18 Old 13-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

I agree with any help that is given to our armed forces, I just would of thought other bigger issues would be higher on the priority list. I think a new motor is the leased of a families worries when in the armed forces.

But non the less any help is better than no help
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
I think if I were on tour in helmand or wherever I'd be more worried about whether my gun worked properly or my body armour was sufficient than whether I can get a cheap ford focus.
AO Platinum Member

It's all swings and roundabouts. If the MoD has managed to blag a discount somehow, then that's no different to any other employer with 250,000 employees negotiating discounts. It doesn't look like it costs the taxpayer any extra, so good luck to them..

Ralf S.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
It's all swings and roundabouts. If the MoD has managed to blag a discount somehow, then that's no different to any other employer with 250,000 employees negotiating discounts. It doesn't look like it costs the taxpayer any extra, so good luck to them..

Ralf S.
Is it clear that its a discount not a subsidy?
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post

Ralf S.
Agreed.
Cathar

TBH I am all in favour of this scheme.....yes its their job and yes its a choice thing, but they spend huge periods away from home and family, not to mention any form of comfort in the most dangerous places in the world so "WE" can all sleep soundly at night!

Anyone willing to risk their life for my security,liberty and freedom should be helped to make their families lives easier!

And the fact that someone has negotiated a deal on their behalf has no bearing on govt military spending whatsoever!

I'm sorry but if you want to moan about any kind of forces discount you go walk a day in their ( and families ) shoes.......then object.

Rant over

AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Sport

Companies giving discounts to Forces personnel is a way in which business, and in turn the wider society can show an appreciation for the work they do. It is more than a job, it is a way of life, and although we (I am RAF Aircrew) chose that career path, we then often relinquish any choice of where we go and what we do.

Only a few short years ago (and again very recently) we were told not to wear our uniform in public for fear of abuse, and putting ourselves and families in danger. I am pleased to say this has changed hugely in the last 5 or so years, and the public has shown great support and respect for the Forces, particularly for the fallen.

I am perhaps digressing from the original post, but my point can perhaps be illustrated by looking to the US. They are openly appreciative of their forces, it shows through their very nature. I worked a lot in the States in 2012, and on multiple occasions I had people approaching me in shops, car parks etc to shake my hand and thank me for my service, even though I'm British in British uniform. Thus you see companies from all over the market offering discounts to Armed Forces. Indeed, I had a conversation with a manager of a well-known designer clothing brand (who had just given me 20% off everything) that he was lobbying to get all the retailers in the shopping centre to offer discounts for military personnel.

It has nothing to do with the government, and taking taxpayers money away from more essential items. It's about a tangible way in which society at home can show an appreciation of the work we do in hot, sandy, dangerous conditions in order to try and keep the world a safer place (I won't go into any political discussion about how our forces are employed etc).

I'm not saying we should all have preferential treatment and get huge discounts on everything - I did choose this career path and I am content with that - but it's a nice surprise when they are sometimes offered.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

No different from my company doing the same thing.
We've recently been told about amazing deals with Fiat/Alfa and also Mercedes, Vauxhall have been "Partners" for years
It's a discount that anyone can negotiate if they have the balls to ask.
(Post Link) post #15 of 18 Old 14-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

I seem to be misunderstood, I am in no way saying this is a bad scheme, it's great. I wanted to see what you guys thought of it... Where I was going with this is - do you think a brand new motor is right up there on the list of things a family in the armed forces needs when there could be extra help with utility bills and food for a better way of life?
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Companies are always looking for excuses to give deals. A friend who's company designed the owners magazine and his employees were offered big discounts and for some companies 30 percent sell to tenuous employees an retirees.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Is it clear that its a discount not a subsidy?
Aye. The website says:

"DDS Cars is just one part of the Defence Discount Service, which over 2,500 companies have now joined and pledged generous discounts to show their support for the armed forces community. "

There are 11 car manufacturers signed up. If the government was paying the subsidy then every manufacturer would have signed up.

(Handily) they are:

Alfa Romeo
Fiat
Chrysler
Jeep
Citroen
KIA
Mazda
Peugeot
Renault
SEAT
SKODA

I don't see VW, BMW or any German brands in the list.... so anyone knocking Alfa could be regarded as just unpatriotic..

Anyways, it's no different to any other "mass loyalty" scheme. The disconters are offering a discount to Armed Forces as a way of generating sales (as well as "showing appreciation") albeit at a reduced margin than they might get from a regular punter.

There's always repeat business (when the squaddie is maybe no longer a squaddie) and the supplying garage gets to shift a unit (some of the subsidy no doubt comes from the garage too) and also gains a potential workshop/parts/services punter.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Last edited by Ralf S.; 15-01-14 at 15:12.
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Presumably the discount is off list price and no other offers can be applied. Fairly standard T&Cs.

However AR already offer special deals from time to time so it may not be costing them that much and as has been said it help shifts brand new units when fleets are not buying.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
armed , discount , forces , motors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page