Bad Back! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 10-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Devon
Bad Back!

Hi All

I have been driving a 156sw now for a little over 3 months. On three occasions I have driven a 300+ mile journey and found I've had terrible back ache afterwards.

I have never experienced this before with others cars so wondering is this something to do with the car or is it just the ticking hands of time catching up with me?

Anyone had a similar experience? Don't really want to have to change cars for such a silly reason!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
sometimes it's just a matter of changing the seat position, I know in my old A3 I used to suffer, but after changing the seat set up the pains disappeared overnight.
You may have the seat at the same angle etc as in other cars, but if the pedal, wheel position is different you may need to play round with the settings.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Have you got the lumbar support properly set?
GTA_Nigel

What seats? I drove my 156 2.0 TS for 90,000 miles over 8 years with never a problem. That had the velour seats, very comfortable. My Alfasud Sprint Green Cloverleaf was a different proposition mind.....

AO Member

County: -Worcestershire

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

I have found the seats in my previous 156 to have poor lumbar support, always gave me a bit of lower back pain on long journeys. The seats were made out of faux suede. Using a thin cushion behind my back would help. No problems with the leather seats in my current GTV.
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
The Momo seats in my GTV are an absolute joke and regardless of position I cannot get decent support and end up with back ache after about 1/2 hour; I guess that could be the three prolapsed discs, severe scoliosis and spondylosis (Not a great cocktail) but the Recaros in the Merc are great and I've driven 800 miles in a single stint in the Citroen without problem. I would say that the GTV seats come a close second to the Mazda 6 as the worst I have ever sat in.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Don't like the sound of this, I suffer from lower back pain and I've just won a 156 on ebay. I hope it's comfy otherwise it'll be for sale again!
Spacecadet

My GTA was initially horrendously painful, I worked out that I needed the seat more upright than most other cars I have driven. The aches stopped.

I just don't think Alfa seats are very well upholstered or giving.

My 99 156 Sele with Momo leather was the same, less severe, but a similar situation.

Last edited by Spacecadet; 10-01-14 at 21:00.

AO Member

Briefly had an R reg 156 with the leather with the Alfa logo in it, longest trip I did in that was about two hours but that seemed good. The new one is a 54 plate with a cloth interior. The current Volvo isn't good on long trips which seems strange as they are renowned for comfort.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I have suffered back ache in most of the cars I have owned.

The only ones in which I haven't suffered were my Ford Puma which had really dinky seats for a bloke my size, and my Golf which has very hard seats.

Everyone is built differently though so some cars will have seats that suit them but not others.

The worst seats I have ever sat in (or more like on) were though in my PH2 GTV. I have sat on park benches that were more comfortable.

The 156 Leather seats are ok but not great. They are pretty basic seats fitted with expensive leather, and the SP2 Recaros are much more comfy.
(Post Link) post #11 of 14 Old 10-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Devon
Seat on mine are leather. It's a 2002 facelift model. It could just be too much weight and middle age body breakdown. I will check all the settings but first time I've ever found long journeys uncomfortable.

My last car was a Volvo c70 and it was the most comfortable (and cheapest) car I ever owned. Unfortunately it was the T5 model so only averaged 15mpg and was not good for long journeys.

The Alfa is incredibly efficient for an old 5 cylinder lump. Averaged 60mpg over 150 miles driving from Bristol to Plymouth this week. It was 10pm and the cruise control was set to 60mph mind!
AO Member

Picked mine up, and it's got Recaros, so I'm happy with the comfort on mine.
AO Member

County: UK

Member car:

147 Collezione

Got to be honest and say I'm not a big fan of the 156 leather seats, I've also noticed discomfort after an hour or so of driving. I think the seats in the wife's 147 were better. The best seats I had were in my last car, a 2003 Ford Mondeo 2.0 Ghia X. Heated, 8 way adjustable, could drive it all day.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
On first acquaintance with the original Brera, I discounted it because of the seats. When the facelift version came, I loved the looks & initial comfort / support of the new seats but after a two hour run they crucified me.

The final straw was a run to Angouleme, well that & peeling paint.

Whilst the phase one Brera seats don't pin you in the corners, they offer just the right amount of comfort & support for me.

Best seats ever were the 159 Ti.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
back , bad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page