Insurance Providers? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 17-08-06 Thread Starter

Insurance Providers?

Hi all.

It's time to renew again, so I figured I'd have a hunt around for the best deal. So far I've tried:

- Adrian Flux
- Direct Line
- Elephant
- Tesco
- ASDA
- Privelege
- More Than
- Churchill
- Confused.com
- Footman James
- Carole Nash

Chris Knott have said they'll beat my best quote by 10%, but there's obviously milage in getting the lowest quote for them to knock 10% off... :-)

Any that I've missed?

MR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nev

Re: Insurance Providers?

Give "Sheila's Wheels" a go and then take
them down for sex discrimination when
they refuse you!

PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51

Im with Norwich Union Direct
Bert Cheese

Thumbs Up Re: Insurance Providers?

Try Admiral.......they've just offered me 292 fully comp on the GTV.

Half the insurers on your list won't even quote because of "my age and the model of car"..........considering I'm 35 with a clean licence and 10 years NCB,I reckon thats pretty poor.

AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Esure
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by degangsta
Esure
Yep - they came in about the same as flux's for me on the Brera i.e. about 730...

Performance direct came in with a silly quote (630) by phone but with an excess larger than the premium.

It's crazy Alfa's are just so expensive to insure, I get quotes - (36 10years NCB, business use 20K miles and an SP30) but most are up around the 1K mark for my Brera.... Flo I live in Greater Manchester - so you must live in a war zone...

SImes.
AO Member

Quotes started from 201 for me on moneysupermarket.com with my business going to swiftcover.com - all online and no call centres unless you need a claim. Deal of the decade as I have speeding points, and two accidents including a write-off!
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire

i found the best quote i could which ended up being sainsbury's then i called adrian flux, who not only beat it by about £40-the package they put together was way better than that sainsbury's were offering.

ended up paying £400.00 fully comp
i'm 24 with 6 years n.c.b.
simons

i used confused.com Im 31 clean licence and pay around 400 full comp with protected no claims!! I was impressed compared to my previous car a 1.6 Zafira at 600 with Direct Line, oh and Admiral were the cheapest from confused, had 1 claim to date and been really impressed!!!

mikebrown

budget all the way dude

I got mine from Adrian Flux, They were about £100 cheaper than my present company on a 147 2.0 lusso - Aged 38 with er indoors on too
£300.

I work for a Insurance Broker so I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about here..

Confused/ Money Supermarket are good for getting a cheap price, saves a lot of shopping around and if someone else does a price beater you're laughing

but bear in mind you can't get what you don't pay for, cheap insurance can be just that - cheap! check the benefits as it might be worth paying a bit more in some cases and especially check the excess

I'd also bear in mind claims service as this is the only time you'll know if your premium was worth it
I'd say make sure whoever you go with doesn't use call centres in India for claims handling (Norwich U are one) as in my wide experience it really is difficult to get the level of understanding from their advisors.

Don't skimp and refuse the legal expenses cover if its an add on either. If an accident's not your fault you won't want the hassle of writing/phoning for 6 months to get your excess back from Joe Singh in Mumbai will you

ps Try Towergate Risk Solutions for unbeatable service! sorry if thats unacceptable on the forum by the way but they pay my (meagre) wages!
AO Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

156 1.9 jtdm

I have flux aways good on Alfa's on my 33 was 700 less than any 1 else. Now have a 145 cloverleaf 0 no claims age 30 270 full comp from Carol nash, Now beat that!!!
AO Silver Member

Wave Re: Insurance Providers?

Mines with Swiftcover, 340 for Fully Comp + Class 1 business cover + protected no claims of which I have 7 years.

I'm one of the lucky ones - low premiums due to age and 42 years experience. I'm 63 with a lifetime of NCB thats now protected.

I was quoted for my 156 Sportwagon (1.8TS) on confused.com: £185 for TPFT and £302 for fully comp.

But here's the tryon by the insurance companies. I noticed that the fully comp quote was my current insurer, Saga but the renewal was for £350 TPFT or £423 fully comp. So I phoned them to ask why and was told "if you insure by phone it is dearer than insuring online".

So I am cancelling my policy and taking out a new policy online. That will save me £121. Plus I get fully comp for less that I would have paid for TPFT. The crazy thing is that I stay with the same insurer. Additionally, online I can pay monthly with NO additional charge - my current policy costs more if paid monthly.

Quite a bargain for just typing the details out for them.
AO Platinum Member

Give Lancaster a call too
VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaWilly
I'd say make sure whoever you go with doesn't use call centres in India for claims handling (Norwich U are one) as in my wide experience it really is difficult to get the level of understanding from their advisors.

Don't skimp and refuse the legal expenses cover if its an add on either. If an accident's not your fault you won't want the hassle of writing/phoning for 6 months to get your excess back from Joe Singh in Mumbai will you
I have to say, I'm with Norwich Union Direct and those nice Indians in Delhi were very good when I had a 'sticky' accident that wasn't my fault and which I elected to pay to put right because the other party wasn't insured and my damage was minimal. It didn't affect my NCB when I came to renew and when I told them about an 8 week ban for speeding that I'd just got prior to the renewal, they only put my premium up by 20! Which was still 60 cheaper anyway than my previous year with them! I was with Chris Knott some time ago and although they price-matched, they just put it up a lot the next year to make up for it.

Been with Chris Knott for about 8 years now & they have been fantastic, I always shop around before calling them at renewal and they never let me down. Supposedly a discount if you are an AROC member also. I used the Autotrader site for comparisons, you stick your details in once and 20-30 quotes come up
AO Silver Member

RAC insurance jus came up trumps with me - undercutting AROC discounted membership from FLux's by nearly 100quid...

SImes.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Churchill are currently guaranteeing to beat your renewal quote if you have 3 years+ no claims. My wife was with them a few years ago when she had a bump and they were absolutely superb so based on that I would certainly consider them

I'm with Flux at the moment (insured me with "Equity Red Star" whoever the hell they are, they sound like an east European footy team ) but they wanted 20 to insure me on a Punto courtesy car for 1 day recently so on principle I won't be using the money-grabbing [email protected] again (Red Star that is, not Flux)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max
I have to say, I'm with Norwich Union Direct and those nice Indians in Delhi were very good when I had a 'sticky' accident that wasn't my fault and which I elected to pay to put right because the other party wasn't insured and my damage was minimal. It didn't affect my NCB when I came to renew and when I told them about an 8 week ban for speeding that I'd just got prior to the renewal, they only put my premium up by 20!
Glad your experience was good with my sub-continent colleagues but -and i hate to be a clever dick - of course you didn;t have any problems when you paid for it your self!!
VO2Max

That ain't necessarily true, your dick or your Willy isn't as clever as it thinks! I have had a similar situation once before (years ago) and I have friends who it has happened to...if you have had an accident regardless, they can end up loading your premium and even questioning your NCB (which is a bit rich seeing as you haven't made a claim!)

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

I was off sick at last renewal time so was very bored. I scoured all insurance companies to get a best quote. I then went to Chris Knott through AROC and they beat it by over 10%!

AutoExpress this week have surveyed insurance companies & NFU come out tops. Not sure if non farmer types can be insured with them thought.....?
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Yes. NFU will insure anyone.

Now I've been out of the UK for a while but I can't believe the prices being quoted for insurance. Year before last my car was vandalised by some thugs - claimed on the insurance which knocked me back to 1years NCB . Now I'm on 2 years NCB and just got quoted 918 by Directline for my 159sw fully comp - equates to about 600 quid (no pound sign on this crappy german keyboard). Are Alfa owner being taken for a ride back home?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
insurance , providers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page