Has anyone encountered any Alfa related electric power steering problems? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 27-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
Has anyone encountered any Alfa related electric power steering problems?

Guys,
When on the motorway and adjusting the steering to keep my Giulietta in a straight line, you have to apply an immense amount of pressure on the steering wheel for a second or two before it then suddenly then jolts/slackens to which ever direction you are trying to turn, moving the car abruptly............which as you can imagine can get really dangerous. It is as if there is a time lag between anything happening which is quite disconcerting!
Has anyone any thoughts on a possible cause?
Many thanks.

Last edited by KNIEVEL77; 27-12-13 at 13:40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
I have noticed twitching at lower revs on a Fiat.
Specifically easing off down hill around a corner.
Real "WTF?!" moments.

Electrical issues?
VO2Max

Sounds that way, since the G has electric power steering, yes?

I don't actually know how it works...presumably there's no hydraulic fluid doing the actual donkeywork on the rack? (Although it would be in a bath of oil of course).

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
There were problems with the Grande Punto sourced rack in the Mito and the Giulietta has a completely different twin pinion system which does not appear to have problems. Have you answered this question on the Giulietta section now?
"The technicians have experimented today with different tyre pressures and found through trial and error that setting the pressure at 2.2 on ALL tyres looks like it has has cured the problem even though the owner's handbook suggests you to set the front and rears at different pressures."?
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 27-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
There were problems with the Grande Punto sourced rack in the Mito and the Giulietta has a completely different twin pinion system which does not appear to have problems. Have you answered this question on the Giulietta section now?
"The technicians have experimented today with different tyre pressures and found through trial and error that setting the pressure at 2.2 on ALL tyres looks like it has has cured the problem even though the owner's handbook suggests you to set the front and rears at different pressures."?
I hope so, i'll take it on a decent motorway trip tomorrow to check it out further however they also said that moving from my 275,000 mile 156 with hydraulic steering to electric power steering might also take some getting used to. It does however strengthen the importance of using correct tyre pressures.
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
my punto is the 3rd car i have had with electric power steering and i have never had that problem. perhaps it is a calibration issue. i believe the diagnostic programs should have a rack calibration procedure, it may be worth asking the dealer to try it?
crazycarb

The mk2 punto was renowned for power steering ECU problems, however I'm not sure about later models.

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
I read somewhere that turning the wheel end-to-end in the car park
can prevoke warning lights/error codes for certain issues.

Electric power steering can put quite a load on the electrical systems if you move the wheel when stationary on starting. This was throwing up "Have power steering checked" warnings on some FIAT 500s with older batteries until the ECU was recalibrated to a lower voltage.

Knievel - if the problem is really as bad as you describe I doubt it has anything to do with tyre pressures, it sounds more like a sensor problem.
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeX159 View Post
Electric power steering can put quite a load on the electrical systems if you move the wheel when stationary on starting. This was throwing up "Have power steering checked" warnings on some FIAT 500s with older batteries until the ECU was recalibrated to a lower voltage.
Common practice to avoid such problems is to deactivate the power steering for five seconds or so on startup.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , electric , encountered , power , problems , related , steering

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page