Enjoying my rev limiter - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 20-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Enjoying my rev limiter

Folks,

I hate rev limiters with a passion, but my new (to me) 147 TS Lusso 2 litre has a good one. It seems to work in two stages and the soft stage gives plenty of time to enjoy the motor. A previous car, Saab 900 ng turbo, had a vile limiter which just cut out brutally and I was always watching the rev counter instead of the road!

Anyway, on a recent fun run (private roads of course) the 147's limiter gave me a gentle reminder at around 90mph in third and I didn't need to change up as the road was running out. On another straight I was at 110mph in fourth with no sign of the limiter. My guess is that it will come at around 120mph. Probably the limiter is irrelevant in fifth as the car will never get to speed. For me, this makes fifth gear more of an overdrive than top gear which is OK.

Anyone know exactly where the limiter hits in the higher gears and do you like using yours?

Alex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

I have seen 130 mph out of the GTV in Germany and there was no sign of the limiter coming in. But it must have been nudging the red zone - wasn't really looking at the dials as was more interested in the road ahead and whether it would remain clear! Think it is the same engine in both our cars.
VO2Max

Well, the lower gears will tell you at what rpm the rev limiter kicks in, so if you want to know what speed it kicks in in 4th: stick it in 4th, go to half the rev limit and see what speed you're doing. Whatever that speed is, double it. So if the rev limiter kicks in at 6500rpm, see what speed 3250 rpm gives you in 4th, and double it.

Simples.

AO Member

County: New South Wales
I never pass 3000rpm on mine lol
VO2Max

Not really worth having an Alfa then - that's when the fun starts!

(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 28-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
Not really worth having an Alfa then - that's when the fun starts!
VO2Max,

Agreed, although I find the precise spot to be 4000rpm on mine. Hitting the gas at that point in third gives a pretty good impression of a low output turbo. Peak power seems to come at around 5750rpm and then it fades slightly.

Alex.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
enjoying , limiter , rev

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page